Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: White Sox to Offer Largest Deal in Team History to Torii Hunter?

Re: White Sox to Offer Largest Deal in Team History to Torii Hunter?

Lot of angst because the Reds haven't jumped on a FA already and its Monday before all the knots are untied anyway. The meetings aren't even over, the off season has just begun but already there are people figuring the Reds are out of it. I'll wait and see - I think K has done a good job so far and I don;t see how putting $30 million a year or so into 2 FA players in a fringey market is going to help anything. What I hear is a cry to go spend a fortune just to 'show' everyone the Reds are serious.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Memories of the Albert Belle deal.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    No clue what you are talking about.
    I've gathered that from several comments....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I've gathered that from several comments....
    Nice one.

What are the chances Hunter produces at his current level through the outlying years of such a deal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    What are the chances Hunter produces at his current level through the outlying years of such a deal?
    Slim and none.... and slim is probably riding a syringe of HGH (in no way am I saying Hunter uses, but if he wants to produce at a high level, he might need it is all I am saying).

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    What are the chances that Hunter inproves the CF position for the WS and makes them a better team?

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Lot of angst because the Reds haven't jumped on a FA already and its Monday before all the knots are untied anyway. The meetings aren't even over, the off season has just begun but already there are people figuring the Reds are out of it. I'll wait and see - I think K has done a good job so far and I don;t see how putting $30 million a year or so into 2 FA players in a fringey market is going to help anything. What I hear is a cry to go spend a fortune just to 'show' everyone the Reds are serious.
    No, the point is that top players get a lot of money. Some teams want top players. They want top players even if they are overpaying a little and even if the latter years of a deal are likely to be less productive.

So the Reds "wisely" stay out of that market and instead we get to talk about whether Drew Stubbs will hit in High-A ball or what lower tier free agent may fall to the Reds because nobody else wants him.

I think the Chisox just want to win and win soon. They are trying to get a top player knowing that his value will fall off but that he is still, now, one heck of a centerfielder. The guys running that team aren't dumb. They won a World Series recently. They are just trying to win and are agreeing to pay the price.

So let's continue to criticize the Chisox. Wonder how Chatanooga will do next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    No, the point is that top players get a lot of money. Some teams want top players. They want top players even if they are overpaying a little and even if the latter years of a deal are likely to be less productive.

So the Reds "wisely" stay out of that market and instead we get to talk about whether Drew Stubbs will hit in High-A ball or what lower tier free agent may fall to the Reds because nobody else wants him.

I think the Chisox just want to win and win soon. They are trying to get a top player knowing that his value will fall off but that he is still, now, one heck of a centerfielder. The guys running that team aren't dumb. They won a World Series recently. They are just trying to win and are agreeing to pay the price.

So let's continue to criticize the Chisox. Wonder how Chatanooga will do next year.
    Except there isn't much that points to Hunter still being a hack of a centerfielder. Defensively he is slightly below average as is right now. Odds are he is just going to continue getting worse, and his bat was the best its been in years this year. Will that continue?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Except there isn't much that points to Hunter still being a hack of a centerfielder. Defensively he is slightly below average as is right now. Odds are he is just going to continue getting worse, and his bat was the best its been in years this year. Will that continue?

The Chisox play against Hunter 18 times every year. I think they can evaluate his center field play. Whatever he has lost in range and speed, he probably makes up in savvy and experience at the position.

Somehow I think the Sox know what they are doing. Whether it is the best way to use the money, I can't say, but Hunter has been a top player and probably overall is still a darn good one.

I remember when the Cards got Jim Edmunds. People said he was slowing down. The Cards knew better.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    What are the chances that Hunter inproves the CF position for the WS and makes them a better team?
    nill?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

The Chisox play against Hunter 18 times every year. I think they can evaluate his center field play. Whatever he has lost in range and speed, he probably makes up in savvy and experience at the position.

Somehow I think the Sox know what they are doing. Whether it is the best way to use the money, I can't say, but Hunter has been a top player and probably overall is still a darn good one.
    Saavy and experience didn't help him this year when he was below average out there. Overall, yes, he is still a valuable player.... so long as his fielding declines no more and he continues to hit like he did last year rather than the guy he has been the previous 3 years.

I remember when the Cards got Jim Edmunds. People said he was slowing down. The Cards knew better.
    I'll take range over defensive IQ every time......

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Saavy and experience didn't help him this year when he was below average out there. Overall, yes, he is still a valuable player.... so long as his fielding declines no more and he continues to hit like he did last year rather than the guy he has been the previous 3 years.
    The problem with aging offensively gifted center fielders not named Ichiro is that as age zaps them of their range they morph into a skill set that places them within a whole new pool of offensive comparables called corner outfielders. Suddenly a plus bat becomes an average one relative to the new standard.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I'll take range over defensive IQ every time......
    Same here. That said, Hunter's still got decent range. He may not rank in the elite section of any range metrics, but I haven't noticed him in the basement either.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Turn Off Ads?