Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: White Sox to Offer Largest Deal in Team History to Torii Hunter?

Re: White Sox to Offer Largest Deal in Team History to Torii Hunter?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    No, the point is that top players get a lot of money. Some teams want top players. They want top players even if they are overpaying a little and even if the latter years of a deal are likely to be less productive.

So the Reds "wisely" stay out of that market and instead we get to talk about whether Drew Stubbs will hit in High-A ball or what lower tier free agent may fall to the Reds because nobody else wants him.

I think the Chisox just want to win and win soon. They are trying to get a top player knowing that his value will fall off but that he is still, now, one heck of a centerfielder. The guys running that team aren't dumb. They won a World Series recently. They are just trying to win and are agreeing to pay the price.

So let's continue to criticize the Chisox. Wonder how Chatanooga will do next year.

Let's see...3 out of the 4 teams in the final round of the playoffs this year did it the way you don't want to do it (by building for the long haul with young players). The winner and the 4th team did a combo but I would have to say the vast majority of its teams was also built from the farm or trades. I really think there is only one way to build a championship team in this day and age...The farm and through trades. Only at the end do you add that last piece through free agency to fill that void.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Isn't 5/75 supposedly the offer Hunter turned down from the Twins?
    No, he turned down 3/45. Which I still believe would have been too much for Hunter.

The Twins have made a wise decision letting him go, and especially amongst the outcry to keep him here in Minnesota.

Now, if they were wise, they would offer Santana an extension for more years than the 2/36 they previously offered.

If I had to put my money on it, Santana will not be traded this year -- it will be Nathan that is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Let's see...3 out of the 4 teams in the final round of the playoffs this year did it the way you don't want to do it (by building for the long haul with young players). The winner and the 4th team did a combo but I would have to say the vast majority of its teams was also built from the farm or trades. I really think there is only one way to build a championship team in this day and age...The farm and through trades. Only at the end do you add that last piece through free agency to fill that void.
    And when is "the end?" When are you good enough to go for it? It seems the Reds are never ready to go for it. They are 0 for this decade.

I'm not advocating free agency over trades. But I am advocating trying to win in the near future. I just don't believe in long-term plans in professional sports these days. And even teams like the Indians and Diamondbacks have made key veteran acquisitions in the last couple of years.

Right now the Reds have an ace pitcher, Harang, and a big-time power hitter, Dunn. Wait a few years, you may not have these guys. Then the Reds won't have the option of trying to win.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Another offseason is upon us, as we laugh at all the other teams paying crazy amounts of money for the better FAs. I can't wait for the smarter FA signings that Wayne is known for. The Stantons and Gonzalezes. Those are the smart moves.

Just because you think that a contract is "bad" doesn't make it such. Damon makes $13 million? It's called market value. This board was in hysterics last season when Meche, Lilly and Marquis were signed. We got Lohse and Stanton. Sweet. If the market says Hunter is worth that much, then that's what he's worth.

I think our perception is skewed because the Reds are one of the teams who think people are worth 2002 salaries. Times have changed. $15 million isn't that much when you want to win.
    I think what people are saying is that $15 million would be a foolhardy amount for the Reds to invest in Hunter given their budget. Yes, you need to spend money to win... but you don't want to just throw money around either. The market dictated that Eric Milton was worth what we paid as well. We're just trying to avoid another scenario like that. Or at least maybe we can do what we can in talking about it so much that hopefully Wayne gets our vibes from the screen when he's checking his emails from Dusty.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

That stench you smell in the South Side of Chicago is usually the aftermath of the meat packing industry.

That new smell will be the huge pile o cash burnt on signing Torii Hunter.

Turn Off Ads?