Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Yankees not willing to deal young pitchers

Yankees not willing to deal young pitchers

Yanks Not Willing to Deal Young Pitchers

By RONALD BLUM
    AP Baseball Writer

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Hank Steinbrenner was clear on what the New York Yankees won't do to get Miguel Cabrera. "It's pretty obvious which players we're not going to trade," the owner's son said Wednesday, before rattling off the team's most-prized young pitchers. "Chamberlain, Hughes and even Kennedy. Not for a position player."

As the Florida Marlins try to gauge what teams would give them for their All-Star third baseman, the Yankees are showing qualified interest. Yes, they'd love Cabrera to replace Alex Rodriguez, but they're prepared to wait for the asking price to go down. For now, when other teams inquire, Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy aren't available.

"I've been tested on those guys this week, and obviously the summer during the (trade) deadline, and I'll continue to be tested on it," general manager Brian Cashman said. "I know that all three of those guys, the 29 other clubs would have no problems pitching at least one of them if not all of them in their rotations."

Hughes, just 21, showed poise and overpowering pitches, even while slowed by hamstring and ankle injuries that sidelined him for much of the season. Chamberlain, 22, was instant electricity and on many nights unhittable as Mariano Rivera's setup man down the stretch. Kennedy, who turns 23 next month, was polished and resembled a young Mike Mussina in three September starts.

"It's like Cashman said: You never say untouchable, but at least least-touchable," Steinbrenner said.

I mentioned this news on a previous thread, but I decided to give this its own thread. The Yankees seem unwilling to trade their top prospects, so I would imagine it is now extremely unlikely they could land Cabrera. I would be very surprised if the Yankees could make a trade keeping to this hard line. It would at the very least make things more difficult.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Yankees not willing to deal young pitchers

That's just stupid. I'm not saying Cabrera is worth all 3 of them..........but they have to give up atleast one of those guys for a proven third basemen who hits for power and average. That's just ridiculous.

The Yankees are so used to buying what they need in free agency, that they've forgotten what it takes in trade.

Re: Yankees not willing to deal young pitchers

But would they give up Brandon Clauessen?

Turn Off Ads?