Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 51

Thread: 2007 Six-Year and Minor-League Free Agent Report (Part 1)

  1. #31
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Portland, OR (West Chester, OH)
    Posts
    6,091

    Re: 2007 Six-Year and Minor-League Free Agent Report (Part 1)

    To keep up with this:

    12/17/07: http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=697

    Texas signed RHR Franklyn German and the Nationals picked up Rob Bell in a SHOCKER!

    1/4/08: http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=699

    The Reds stuff is covered in its own thread.

    I'm still not generally jazzed about this year's batch of 6YRFA signings. We don't really have anyone with upside coming in. Chris Michalak again? Kevin Barker? No idea what some of these guys are adding.

    The Tigers signed UT Caonabo Cosme, the Marlins INF Jorge Cantu, Atlanta C JC Boscan, the Blue Jays RHR Bubba Nelson, Texas OF Jason Ellison, Tampa OF John Rodriguez, Pittsburgh RHR Elmer Dessens and C Miguel Perez, and the Mets RHR Juan Padilla.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,072

    Re: 2007 Six-Year and Minor-League Free Agent Report (Part 1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Tampa OF John Rodriguez
    Why can't Rodriguez catch on with an MLB team? His numbers in 05 and 06 seem nothing short of solid, why didn't he play at all last year?

    2007 Memphis - .263/.375/.500
    Career Minors - .271/.359/.477
    Last edited by TC81190; 01-12-2008 at 07:26 PM.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

  4. #33
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Portland, OR (West Chester, OH)
    Posts
    6,091

    Re: 2007 Six-Year and Minor-League Free Agent Report (Part 1)

    Another week, another BA blog post.

    Cleveland picked up INF Aaron Herr. Give Herr credit for being consistent, but the holes in his game will preclude a serious major-league career. Colorado signed RHP Eric Schaler, the Reds' 31st-round draft pick in 2006. He'd never gotten much of a chance.

    The Rockies also picked up 1B-3B-OF Tony Blanco, who flopped more or less completely in the Nationals organization after JimBo took him in the 2005 Rule 5 draft. The problems: injuries and contact.

    Houston signed C J.R. House, OF Victor Diaz, and 1B Lance Niekro, all of whom will probably be Astros at some point in 2008 given that organization's lack of depth. All three are also better hitters than anyone the Reds picked up as an NRI.

    Minnesota picked up RHS Zach Day, who continues to get chances despite serious injuries and marginal effectiveness since 2004.

    Pittsburgh adds RHR Mike Burns to its burgeoning stable of Reds castoffs.

    Texas signed RHR Jason Davis, who was another six-year guy I liked. Former Indian.

    Washington re-signed OF Alex Escobar, who, in a SHOCKER!, spent almost all of 2007 injured. The centerpiece of the Barry Larkin trade that never was did get 33 games in the bigs in 2006 (and hammering to the tune of .356/.394/.575), but batted under .200 in fifty-some ABs in '07.

  5. #34
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Portland, OR (West Chester, OH)
    Posts
    6,091

    Re: 2007 Six-Year and Minor-League Free Agent Report (Part 1)

    Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    Why can't Rodriguez catch on with an MLB team? His numbers in 05 and 06 seem nothing short of solid, why didn't he play at all last year?

    2007 Memphis - .263/.375/.500
    Career Minors - .271/.359/.477
    Apparently it had something to do with allergies...? I think he was considered the Chris Denorfia of the St. Louis organization- long on scrappy but short on tools. It is inarguable that he has hit when he's gotten a chance. Maybe the stat-friendly Rays will find a place for him on their bench.

  6. #35
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,491

    Re: 2007 Six-Year and Minor-League Free Agent Report (Part 1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Another week, another BA blog post.

    Cleveland picked up INF Aaron Herr. Give Herr credit for being consistent, but the holes in his game will preclude a serious major-league career. Colorado signed RHP Eric Schaler, the Reds' 31st-round draft pick in 2006. He'd never gotten much of a chance.

    The Rockies also picked up 1B-3B-OF Tony Blanco, who flopped more or less completely in the Nationals organization after JimBo took him in the 2005 Rule 5 draft. The problems: injuries and contact.

    Houston signed C J.R. House, OF Victor Diaz, and 1B Lance Niekro, all of whom will probably be Astros at some point in 2008 given that organization's lack of depth. All three are also better hitters than anyone the Reds picked up as an NRI.

    Minnesota picked up RHS Zach Day, who continues to get chances despite serious injuries and marginal effectiveness since 2004.

    Pittsburgh adds RHR Mike Burns to its burgeoning stable of Reds castoffs.

    Texas signed RHR Jason Davis, who was another six-year guy I liked. Former Indian.

    Washington re-signed OF Alex Escobar, who, in a SHOCKER!, spent almost all of 2007 injured. The centerpiece of the Barry Larkin trade that never was did get 33 games in the bigs in 2006 (and hammering to the tune of .356/.394/.575), but batted under .200 in fifty-some ABs in '07.
    I just love this post.

  7. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,072

    Re: 2007 Six-Year and Minor-League Free Agent Report (Part 1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Apparently it had something to do with allergies...? I think he was considered the Chris Denorfia of the St. Louis organization- long on scrappy but short on tools. It is inarguable that he has hit when he's gotten a chance. Maybe the stat-friendly Rays will find a place for him on their bench.
    Hm. Not to say we're short on OFs, but we don't have our surplus anymore. Would've been a nice pickup, IMO.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

  8. #37
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Portland, OR (West Chester, OH)
    Posts
    6,091

    Re: 2007 Six-Year and Minor-League Free Agent Report (Part 1)

    New week, new lists:

    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=704

    The Reds have released UT Jeremiah Piepkorn. Inevitable, sadly.

    Not a lot of tremendously interesting news in this one, but apparently Houston won the derby for RHS Runelvys Hernandez. They also got RHR Scott Chiasson, who spent a year or so at Louisville.

    New York brought back converted catcher RHR Joe Hietpas, in his grasp at Sutkodom.

    Pittsburgh added RHS Jaret Wright; how'd that big contract work out, Cashman?

    St. Louis got 1B Josh Phelps, who, while no relation to King of Underrated Ken Phelps, could play on his All-Star team.

    San Diego picked up LHP Glendon Rusch. Probably to keep Bronson Arroyo in the park during the one series Cincinnati will play at the Litter Box, of course.

  9. #38
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Portland, OR (West Chester, OH)
    Posts
    6,091

    Re: 2007 Six-Year and Minor-League Free Agent Report (Part 1)

    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=753

    Lincoln and Bako are officially listed as Reds signees, along with SS-turned-3B Bryan Bass (not to be confused with Brian Bass, a pitcher), a former Oriole first-round pick (2001, 31st overall) who's hit .228/.317/.373 for his pro career.
    Last edited by Doc. Scott; 02-12-2008 at 06:44 PM.

  10. #39
    Ya can't teach speed... Triples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Indpls
    Posts
    341

    Re: 2007 Six-Year and Minor-League Free Agent Report (Part 1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=753

    Lincoln and Bako are officially listed as Reds signees, along with SS-turned-3BBryan Bass (not to be confused with Brian Bass, a pitcher), a former Oriole first-round pick (2001, 31st overall) who's hit .228/.317/.373 for his pro career.
    Head case
    Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona. Not all holes, or games, are created equal. ~George Will


  11. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    princeton, nj
    Posts
    9,482

    Re: 2007 Six-Year and Minor-League Free Agent Report (Part 1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=753

    Lincoln and Bako are officially listed as Reds signees, along with SS-turned-3BBryan Bass (not to be confused with Brian Bass, a pitcher), a former Oriole first-round pick (2001, 31st overall) who's hit .228/.317/.373 for his pro career.

    Juan Castro's replacement will make us take more care in the future for what we wish

  12. #41
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Portland, OR (West Chester, OH)
    Posts
    6,091

    Re: 2007 Six-Year and Minor-League Free Agent Report (Part 1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Triples View Post
    Head case
    Oh really... do tell.

  13. #42
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Portland, OR (West Chester, OH)
    Posts
    6,091

    Re: 2007 Six-Year and Minor-League Free Agent Report (Part 1)

    Three more filler signees:

    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=756

    LHS Dave Gassner, 29. a Rochester Red Wings stalwart during Wayne Krivsky's days in Minnesota. I remember there being a lobby among Twins fans in 2004 to have Gassner promoted (he went 16-8, 3.41), but it never happened. Gassner did get a brief callup the next year (1-0, 5.87 in two starts) in the middle of a far inferior year at Rochester (8-8, 4.95 in 22 games). He missed much of 2006 with injuries and was the Josh Fogg of the International League again last year (6-12, 4.95 in 26 starts).

    LHP Jacob Ociesa. I don't know his age, but he pitched four years in college and joined the Padres organization in 2007 as a NDFA- so guess maybe 23 or 24. Ociesa is a 6-6, 255# monster who's never had success at any level- even at Murray State- thanks to serious control problems.

    OF Yuber Rodriguez, 24. A five-tooler who struggled with major contact issues and topped out at High-, Rodriguez has a .235/.316/.348 line professionally, all so far with Toronto. My guess is that he's a fourth OF type at Sarasota or something.

  14. #43
    Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Chester
    Posts
    2,416

    Re: 2007 Six-Year and Minor-League Free Agent Report (Part 1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    OF Yuber Rodriguez, 24. A five-tooler who struggled with major contact issues
    Go ahead and get a condo in Washington now, Yuber. It's only a matter of time.

  15. #44
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Portland, OR (West Chester, OH)
    Posts
    6,091

    Re: 2007 Six-Year and Minor-League Free Agent Report (Part 1)

    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=757

    Braves pick up LHS Damian Moss, who they originally signed out of Australia. He hasn't done anything of note in the last several years.

    The Chicago White Sox signed RHS Tomo Ohka.

    Cleveland signed OF Jason Tyner. Now that the guy finally hit a pro home run, there's no story to follow.

    Milwaukee added 4C Russell Branyan. Apparently the air circulation around Miller Park aren't so great.

    St. Louis signed LHR Ron "Big Rig" Villone. THERE'S the guy who'll ground Dunn out to second with two on and two out in the eighth now that Ron Flores is elsewhere.

    Seattle picked up OF Bubba Crosby. That fanboy's going to be in my neck of the woods now. Tacoma's even closer to me than Seattle.

    Washington signed 2B Bret Boone. Pretty sure the wags have already weighed in on this one.

  16. #45
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Portland, OR (West Chester, OH)
    Posts
    6,091

    Re: 2007 Six-Year and Minor-League Free Agent Report (Part 1)

    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=834

    The Reds decided against employing LHS Dave Gassner for 2008 (or he decided against being employed by them). They also cut LHP Jacob Ociesa, picked up this offseason, and RHP Anthony Romero (NDFA, 2007- Billings) and LHR Dan Donaldson (NDFA, 2006- bounced between all four lower levels).

    You get treated a little different if you're a NDFA. Let's face it.

    Lots of other names on the released list, with perhaps the most notable being Cardinals 1B Mike Ferris (Miami), a 2004 2nd-rounder who hit just .216 as a pro. BA's got some interesting notes under some entries- check out the Oakland one.

    International (League) Man of Mystery Chad Mottola re-upped with the Blue Jays.

    The Nationals released RHS Rob Bell.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25