Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2007 Six-Year and Minor-League Free Agent Report (Part 1)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: 2007 Six-Year and Minor-League Free Agent Report (Part 1)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post

Lots of other names on the released list, with perhaps the most notable being Cardinals 1B Mike Ferris (Miami), a 2004 2nd-rounder who hit just .216 as a pro.
    Went to high school with him. He has some power but he has really struggled as a pro. Hope he saved some of that signing bonus.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=834

The Reds decided against employing LHS Dave Gassner for 2008 (or he decided against being employed by them). They also cut LHP Jacob Ociesa, picked up this offseason, and RHP Anthony Romero (NDFA, 2007- Billings) and LHR Dan Donaldson (NDFA, 2006- bounced between all four lower levels).
    In a non-personal way, I'm glad the Reds released these players. I would've preferred that some of them had gone away a little sooner, actually.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

With the season's opening comes the clearing of the extras, apparently.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=847

Players with Reds ties:

Arizona: C Brian Peterson was let go.

Baltimore: Released OF Val Majewski, who I'd recommended as a pickup originally.

Cubs: Released 1B Brian Dopirak, who once hit 39 homers in A-ball.

Colorado: Cut OF Josh Burrus, who I'd recommended as a pickup in the Part 2 thread. Also C Mike Rose, another recommendation.

Houston: Cut RHR Scott Chiasson, the closer at Louisville for a season recently.

Minnesota: Jettisoned LHS Randy Keisler.

Philadelphia: Released RHP Zac Stott, the PTBNL in the August 2006 deal for Ryan Franklin.

Pittsburgh: Cut RHR Elmer Dessens *and* RHR Hector Carrasco. And Jaret Wright. And (dum dum da dum)... Jose Macias. Uh oh.

Toronto: Cut RHR Dushan Ruzic, who left as a free agent after pitching at Sarasota in 2007.

Now, the Reds:

Cincinnati Reds

Signed: RHP Chandler Power, OF Luis Soto
    Released: RHP Dan Denham, RHP Brock Till, LHP Chris Michalak, 3B Bryan Bass, 3B Kyle Maunus, SS Michael Jones, OF Jose Bastardo, OF Gerardo Cabrera, OF Josh Holden, OF Armando Rios
    Option transferred: RHP Ramon Ramirez (Triple-A Louisville to Double-A Chattanooga)
    Returned Rule 5 selection: LHP Jose Capellan (to Red Sox)
    Optioned to Triple-A: RHP Homer Bailey, RHP Gary Majewski, LHP Bill Bray, LHP Jon Coutlangus, C Ryan Hanigan

Denham was picked up from the Indians, I think, last year. Once a prospect and a first-round draft pick (17th overall, 2001), he pretty convincingly proved at Sarasota that he wasn't. Brock Till made it as high as Louisville, but never developed a second pitch beyond a huge fastball. This left him with unimpressive K/BB ratios despite the heat. Michalak you know. Root for the guy and all, but I'm glad he's not an option this year. Bass was signed a couple months ago and never suited up. Kyle Maunus hit fairly well as a NDFA out of Western Michigan at Billings, but he was older than many of the players in the league. The Reds reportedly thought highly of Michael Jones, their eighth-round pick in 2005, but he never did as well in games as he did in practice. The wonderfully-named Bastardo played in the GCL in '07 and didn't hit. Another great name, Gerardo "Rico Suave" Cabrera, was a backup in Dayton and Sarasota the past couple of seasons, serving as his club's Spanish translator and the like. Unfortunately, valuable bench pieces don't have the career longevity in the minors like they can in the big leagues. Tour's over for Lt. Josh Holden, a great story (Google it) but a guy who just didn't have the bat. Armando Rios, best known for being one of the first players fingered in connection with BALCO and Barry Bonds, tore up his knee right after signing with Pittsburgh in 2002 (steroids make you injury-prone)-he'd had been hanging around the Reds' camp as a Friend of Dusty. But at 35, and out of OB since 2004 and baseball in general since 2005, it was not to be.

As for the two signees: I can't find a single thing on Chandler Power. I believe this is the correct Luis Soto, a 22-year-old Dominican who played the last few seasons in the Red Sox system. After hitting .229/.266/.353 in AA Greenville in 2006, he was demoted to High-A Lancaster for '07 and struggled there too (.221/.299/.346). He looks to have a bit of power, but little speed. It looks like Soto is slated for 4th OF duty at Sarasota or Chattanooga.
    Last edited by Doc. Scott; 04-02-2008 at 01:09 PM.

I can't find a single thing on Chandler Power.
    I'm guessing he's related to Ted.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Just searched that, too- nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    http://irishoi22.deviantart.com/

Apparently there's a young man by the name of 'Chandler Power' who lives in Cincinnati. He claims to be an art student, is interested in photography, and loves Sublime. I think lollipopcurve is right.

Turn Off Ads?