Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worst Announcers

Re: Worst Announcers

McCarver and Joe Morgan are easily the two worst announcers in baseball. Bad enough to cause one to turn down the sound on whatever they are announcing.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Bruce View Post
    I know that many of you don't follow hockey, but I would like to suggest Dave Mishkin, play by play man of the Tampa Bay Lightning. Wait for the 47 second mark of the link, and be prepared for your ears to bleed.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GV6YIVGXs4E
    sound like a midget version of Harvey Wippleman.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Bruce View Post
    I know that many of you don't follow hockey, but I would like to suggest Dave Mishkin, play by play man of the Tampa Bay Lightning. Wait for the 47 second mark of the link, and be prepared for your ears to bleed.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GV6YIVGXs4E
    NOT SO FAST HORN MAN!!!

From today's New York Post:

And, distracted by design, ESPN had lost its grip on that night's Ravens-Steelers game in the first quarter. As Ben Roethlisberger's pass made it 6-0, linebacker Terrell Suggs was flagged for a late hit. But when the Steelers kicked off from their own 45 - the 15-yarder against Baltimore assessed on the kick - and the kick sailed through the end zone, Mike Tirico said that was caused by the wind.

Yeah, the wind. Pardon the indigestion.

Memo to lead Knicks radio play-by-play man Gus Johnson: At a time when Jim Dolan has created the clear impression that he prefers shills to honest broadcasters, hysterical hollering at the sight of Knicks baskets not only makes it unclear what you're hollering about, the only thing that becomes clear is that you're working to impress Dolan as opposed to describing a game to listeners.
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/11112007...ion_419975.htm

Bryant Gumbel on the NFL network games was awful last year.

The award for the worst announcer each year should be named the "Reggie Rucker" award.

Tirico is so milktoast he bores me to tears. Gumbel was terrible last season on the nfl network. Joe Buck does nothing for me but want to change the channel.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    Gotta second the Billy Packer nominations.

A good drinking game is to watch any college b-ball game that Billy is calling and take a sip of bourbon every time he says the phrase "Get up there, big fella'!" You'll be passed-out drunk by halftime.
    Isn't that Bill Raftery's phrase?

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Isn't that Bill Raftery's phrase?
    And the kiss is also one of Raftery's who I think is enjoyable.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

I like Raftery. He's like Vitale without the hyperbole. And I'm not a big critic of Vitale. I tune out a lot of what he says and I think he's full of crap a lot of the time but his love and enthusiasm for college basketball is enjoyable. I think he'd be just as happy doing a New Mexico St. New Mexico game as he would a Duke Carolina game. Packer is very knowledgable but he's turned from just grouchy to bitter.

I don't know why this thread has had this many responses and Ron Santo's name hasn't been mentioned.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

The ones that I think are terrible:
    1. Chris Berman
    2. The Angels' announcers. I don't know, but something about them just gets on my nerves.
    3. Ed Farmer, the White Sox's play-by-play guy on the radio. Boring as hell.
    4. Joe Buck. Do I really have to explain?
    5. Dick Stockton. He's not REALLY terrible, but he's just old and boring. He sounds like grampa telling you a bedtime story.

Don't even get me started on the rest of those clowns at ESPN.

My favorites:
    Contrary to what some of the people have said on here, I actually like Hawk. Don't ask why, I just do. He's one of those guys you either like or don't like. There's no middle ground.
    2. Thom Brennaman
    3. Jon Miller. He's awesome on Sunday Night Baseball
    4. Bob Costas. It's a shame he's relegated to just studio duty.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    Can't stand Gus Johnson when he does Knicks games.

But I find Mike Breen and Walt Frazier an enjoyable listen.

-- I don't know the announcers names, but I was listening to the Giants - Cowboys game this weekend and the Giants announcers were the worst kind of awful in the third-fourth quarter ... whining about officials calls constantly, and then turning on the home team when there was no chance of a comeback.
    Last edited by NJReds; 11-13-2007 at 11:25 AM.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Bob Papa is the Giants radio voice. He is very annoying and he has a whiny voice.

I love Mike Breen. He was the best in the business on radio. But he ended up replacing Marv on TV. He is still good but I think his voice and skills were better served on radio. The big money is in TV though. Breen was the sportscaster on the Imus in the Morning show at one time and he was brilliant in that job as well. He sort of did an Onion Sports kind of thing most of the time to mess with Imus. Really funny.

The Angels announcers are pretty bad. Rex Hudler is the color guy. You want to reach through the TV and choke the guy. Steve Physioc is the play by play man. Here are some popular Rex-isms:

"Pilot to Bombadier!"

"He got to Go!"

"He's Gettin Figgy with it"

“[Zito pitched well] though he has a chance not to win this game.”

”Mike [Scioscia] likes to turn Benjie loose though so he doesn’t get on base and clog the bases.”

"Kingfish Salmon went upstream!"

"Another big fly for Big Daddy Vladdy!"

"That pitch went where he threw it"

"Pick up some dirt and throw out some reindeer!"

"That pitch was right in his wheelhouse!"

(After pitcher Jarrod Washburn had given up ten runs in four innings): "You gotta give Wash a lot of credit for keeping the bullpen out of it this early."

"Muchas gracias, Senor!"

I should've remembered that it was Bob Papa. He's been on NY TV/radio for years. I think he does some boxing, too. I don't usually listen to football on the radio.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Worst: Chris Berman x 8. That "back, back, back, gone!!!!" crap has to go.

Bob Costas and Harold Reynolds are two of my faves.

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    Worst: Chris Berman x 8. That "back, back, back, gone!!!!" crap has to go.

Bob Costas and Harold Reynolds are two of my faves.
    I actually watched some of Berman on the NFL pre-game last night. He's actually a worse anchor than he is announcer.

Turn Off Ads?