Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tampa interested in Jack Wilson? We could give them Gonzo (he makes way less)

Tampa interested in Jack Wilson? We could give them Gonzo (he makes way less)

per yahoo rumors

Tampa interested in Jack Wilson?

Thursday, Nov 8, 2007 8:14 am EST
    Jack Wilson

Getty Images

Rumor has it the Tampa Bay Devils Rays are looking for a defensive-minded shortstop. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch said the Rays and Pirates could talk about a deal for Jack Wilson.

Wilson has been inconsistent offensively but remains one of the best defensive shortstops in the game. His contract is a monster, however, Wilson is owed $13.75 million during the next two seasons.

Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch

The Reds could offer Gonzo who makes less than that and we could throw in Stubbs and Travis Wood for Kazmir!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tampa interested in Jack Wilson? We could give them Gonzo (he makes way less)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    The Reds could offer Gonzo who makes less than that and we could throw in Stubbs and Travis Wood for Kazmir!!
    And why would the Rays accept such a deal?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Tampa interested in Jack Wilson? We could give them Gonzo (he makes way less)

While I agree we could easily send them Gonzalez, I wouldn't get our hopes up for something involving Kazmir.

That being said, Tampa Bay has a bevy (hope I spelled that correctly) of young talent, and I'm sure we could find something that'll work for both teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    While I agree we could easily send them Gonzalez, I wouldn't get our hopes up for something involving Kazmir.

That being said, Tampa Bay has a bevy (hope I spelled that correctly) of young talent, and I'm sure we could find something that'll work for both teams.
    I think you're right - Aaron Harrang wasn't the main piece in the Guillen trade (Joe Valentine was), so I'd be happy to pick up another Harrang type.
    ďIn the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.Ē - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Tampa is loaded with young starting pitchers and they are serious about contending (and they aren't stupid-they understand how to evaluate talent and know what they have both on their roster and farm). It's possible that Gonzo could pry one of their back end guys away (forget about Kazmir-they aren't afraid of paying him). Think Jackson or if the Reds sweetened the deal, maybe an upgrade to a Howell. Howell would be my target if the Rays seemed willing to work out a trade to upgrade their defense. That all said, Wilson is a significantly better defender than Gonzo at this point in their careers so the Rays might not have any interest in Gonzo.
    Last edited by jojo; 11-09-2007 at 07:23 AM.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

But the Rays don't usually have any interest in paying large dollar amounts either, so Gonzalez's smaller salary relative to Wilson might make him attractive to them. And, if they are distracted by shiny things, the Reds could point to Gonzalez's power in 2007 as a selling point too.

It is absolutely not a bad idea to see what could be wrangled with Tampa along these lines. And why not ask for Kazmir in return for Gonzalez and a package? The worst Tampa can say is "no". And then you at least have a starting point.

This is a conversation I would hope that WK is at least considering having...

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post

Word.

There seems like a fit between these clubs. On at least some level. This is the kind of deal that WK is hopefully pursuing. If not Kazmir, then something else decent from a club that has a reserve of good arms coming. It's worth a phone call at least to inquire...

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    And why not ask for Kazmir in return for Gonzalez and a package? The worst Tampa can say is "no". And then you at least have a starting point.
    Actually the worst they could do is stop answering your phone calls and that is one that wouldn't likely get returned.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    But the Rays don't usually have any interest in paying large dollar amounts either, so Gonzalez's smaller salary relative to Wilson might make him attractive to them. And, if they are distracted by shiny things, the Reds could point to Gonzalez's power in 2007 as a selling point too.

It is absolutely not a bad idea to see what could be wrangled with Tampa along these lines. And why not ask for Kazmir in return for Gonzalez and a package? The worst Tampa can say is "no". And then you at least have a starting point.

This is a conversation I would hope that WK is at least considering having...
    The worst they could do is laugh and not try to even consider a deal with you for these players. I hope for the Rays own case that they would want more than AGonz + a couple for Kazmir. Those couple extra would have to be legit. Travis Wood is probably a good starting point, which is what you might have meant by "a package." Stubbs, Wood, AGonz would be a legit deal for both teams to consider. We would need a SS though.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Actually the worst they could do is stop answering your phone calls and that is one that wouldn't likely get returned.
    But then they remember they are adults and resume conversations if what you are offering has a value to them.

"Hi. We'd like to send you Victor Zambrano and would like Scott Kazmir in return."
    Possiblity that NYM would laugh at them? High.

Possiblity that NYM would go for that deal? Low.

I bet Tampa fans are glad that call took place, however it originated.

Ya never know. It doesn't hurt to inquire. Ever.

I've heard Theo Epstein talk about this many times. He's said he listens to a ton of ridiculous offers from other GMs, every bit as ridiculous as some of the offers some fans make up and other fans make fun of. It's just part of the job for them to discuss offers that might seem ridiculous, and to discuss them seriously, because you never know when it'll lead to something worthwhile.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Howell and Jason Pridie might be a solid return for Gonzalez.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

TB wants Wilson?

They probably want to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the Kevin Stocker era before they move.

Man Pills

Substituting Jack Wilson with Gonzalez is like substituting Neil Young with Rick Springfield.

Turn Off Ads?