Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas may have Interest in Freel?

Texas may have Interest in Freel?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...s.33ff0ef.html

This article just mentions Freel in passing, but could you think of a trade or a trade package that would benefit the Reds involving Freel and the Rangers?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Texas may have Interest in Freel?

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I think coming up with some way to wrest CJ Wilson from the Rangers would be a priority for the bullpen. It would take a lot more than Freel to do it. Throwing Freel in with a real up and comer, like Votto might make Texas consider. If Keppinger and Hopper are for real, the Reds won't need Freel. (I say that sadly, he's a favorite).

Freel, Ross, and Hatte for Salty

how about freel for minor league filler, and take the money owed to him and invest it into the next draft class.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Freel, Ross, and Hatte for Salty
    ok... find a manager who's willing to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    I was kidding

I have heard that Peter Gammons recently wrote an article in which he said that there were a lot of teams interested in Ryan Freel, but you had to be a subscriber on ESPN4U.com to read the whole article. I imagine the Reds would do their best to trade Freel if that is the case. The Texas Ranger article mentions Freel as a fringe outfielder, so I would not think a trade to the Rangers was imminent.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 11-10-2007 at 05:47 PM.

I'd be surprised if any one would give much of anything for Freel until late into spring training when he will have had a chance to show he is healthy and what he still brings to the table.

A month missed with a concussion followed by a season ending leg injury requiring surgery pretty much makes a guy Freel's age with a $1M plus salary unmovable unless the Reds are willing to just dump him for a prospect and eat most of the salary. To boot it wasn't like he was contributing all that much any way; and, Hopper had basically beaten him out for the 4th outfieldr spot.

There is a lot said on this and other sites about how fans of a team tend to over rate or under rate their team's players in trade speculation. I think Freel is a classic case of overating at this point until he shows he is healthy and can still play.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    Better yet, find a GM willing to do that!

I like Freel, but if you could just find a team to take his salary, then I say do it. Hopper can play the same role for cheaper...that 3 million can be used to help bolster our bullpen, or put towards a starter we may get in another trade.

I'd do it just for a salary dump. I give him up for 1 minor league single A pitcher with an era of 6.00.
    Who's on first?

Freel is a good guy to have around as long as you dont count on him as an everyday player. I really dont want them just to dump him because I dont think now he is at his highest value. Wait until the Trade deadline then if your not contending deal him.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Freel is a good guy to have around as long as you dont count on him as an everyday player. I really dont want them just to dump him because I dont think now he is at his highest value. Wait until the Trade deadline then if your not contending deal him.
    I think the question ay this point is does he even make the Reds team if they take their best 25 north? There may be a lot of dealing done between now and the end of spring training which would end up making a spot for Freel but as of now I don't think he is any more than the 25th man if that.

Just get our your pencil and paper and start doign a depth chart keeping in mind there will liklely be only 13 position players including 2 catchers (at least). Assume Hopper covers Freel's versatility in the OF and Keppinger in the infield. Then jf they keep Votto, Bruce and Cantu and don't trade Hattie, I am already a man long right here by my count.

Quote Originally Posted by jnwohio View Post
    I think the question ay this point is does he even make the Reds team if they take their best 25 north? There may be a lot of dealing done between now and the end of spring training which would end up making a spot for Freel but as of now I don't think he is any more than the 25th man if that.

Just get our your pencil and paper and start doign a depth chart keeping in mind there will liklely be only 13 position players including 2 catchers (at least). Assume Hopper covers Freel's versatility in the OF and Keppinger in the infield. Then jf they keep Votto, Bruce and Cantu and don't trade Hattie, I am already a man long right here by my count.
    Bruce is not coming north with the team unless Dunn or Griffey gets hurt. I think they deal either Edwin or Gonzalez to make room for Keppinger to play everyday and I think Freel is a nice safety net incase that happens.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jnwohio View Post

All good points, but with Freel's contract, I just can't see him not being on the 25 man barring a trade. Plus, despite his ineffectiveness as a starter, I still think he can be valuable as a super-sub given his versatility and history of playing better with regular rest. If nothing else, he'd be a good insurance policy should Hopper or Country Kepp prove their performances last year were aberrations.
    Last edited by Screwball; 11-11-2007 at 04:56 PM.

Turn Off Ads?