Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Carl Taylor and Jeff Keppinger

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Carl Taylor and Jeff Keppinger

I was playing a game of Strat today in my 1969 replay and came upon one Carl Taylor, bench player for the Pirates. In 220 ABs, Taylor hit .348 with a .432 OBP and SLG at .457. His counting stats were 10 2B, 4 HRs and 33 RBI. Knowing what I know, he gets pitched around and intentionally walked more than he probably did during the actual season, since he was a career .266 hitter with a .719 OPS in 6 big league seasons as a bench player with the Buccos, Cards and Royals.

After looking that up, the first thing that came to mind was Jeff Keppinger, he of 241 ABs, .332 BA, .400 OBP and SLG .477. He had 16 2B, 5 HR and 32 RBI. I know there some who think he is a part of the future, but I see him as more of a Carl Taylor. So if there is some GM out there who has a scrappiness quotient that Mr. Keppinger might fit, sell high, sell now. His price is probably as high as its gonna get. Astros? Giants? Twinkies? Mariners?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Carl Taylor and Jeff Keppinger

Kepp doesn't bother me at all - either as part of a trade or part of the team. If he's part of a package great but he is also a good solid utility player who can hit abit, play different positions adequately and can fill a spot for a while when someone is out without a big letdown. He's a better hitter than Ross and I don't expect a Ross like decline for him but you're right, he'll probably not replicate last summers numbers. And I love scrappiness when the guy happens to play pretty well to boot.

Kepp is definately no more than a pot sweetener if involved in a deal, but I do not want to see him being held by the Reds hoping that he is anything more than a utility player who rode a hot streak.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I was playing a game of Strat today in my 1969 replay and came upon one Carl Taylor, bench player for the Pirates. In 220 ABs, Taylor hit .348 with a .432 OBP and SLG at .457. His counting stats were 10 2B, 4 HRs and 33 RBI. Knowing what I know, he gets pitched around and intentionally walked more than he probably did during the actual season, since he was a career .266 hitter with a .719 OPS in 6 big league seasons as a bench player with the Buccos, Cards and Royals.

After looking that up, the first thing that came to mind was Jeff Keppinger, he of 241 ABs, .332 BA, .400 OBP and SLG .477. He had 16 2B, 5 HR and 32 RBI. I know there some who think he is a part of the future, but I see him as more of a Carl Taylor. So if there is some GM out there who has a scrappiness quotient that Mr. Keppinger might fit, sell high, sell now. His price is probably as high as its gonna get. Astros? Giants? Twinkies? Mariners?
    Mariners?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Mariners?
    You sign Jose Vidro as your DH, you come up in such conversation. Of course, I may be missing that they are under new management, I wasn't sure from memory.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    You sign Jose Vidro as your DH, you come up in such conversation. Of course, I may be missing that they are under new management, I wasn't sure from memory.
    I get that people think Bavasi is dumb. However, his sins are more related to two weaknesses:1) determining what his team needs and then artificially increasing the price by rigidly trying to fill it, 2) poor talent evaluation rooted in a deference for veteran experience and a habit of defining players by what they don't do rather than what they do do (which exacerbates #1)..

Keppinger doesn't seem to fit a need for the Ms nor does he tweak any of the flaws in the Ms FO. That's why I asked....

The guy to dangle as bait for the Ms would be Belisle. He might get the Reds a bat like Balentien.
    Last edited by jojo; 11-10-2007 at 07:58 PM.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?