Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Fearless Predictions

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Fearless Predictions

Not just for the Reds but all of MLB. These are my guesses what are yours?

Reds Deal: Carlos Guevara & Scott Hatteberg

Rangers Deal: Taylor Teagarden

Reds Deal: Ryan Freel

Braves Deal: JoJo Reyes

Rays Deal: Rocco Baldelli

Twins Deal: Scott Baker + a mid level pitching prospect

Marlins Deal: Miguel Cabrera (sign to a 4 yr deal)

LA Angels Deal: Nick Adenhart, Brandon Wood, Macier Itzuris, Jose Arredondo

Dodgers Sign Alex Rodriguez to an 8 yr 250 Million dollar deal

Mets Sign Carlos Silva to a 4 yr 45 million dollar deal

Houston Astros Sign Francisco Cordero to a 4 yr 50 million dollar deal

Rockies sign Corey Patterson to a 3 yr deal

SD Padres sign Andruw Jones to a ??? deal

White Sox sign Torii Hunter to a 5 yr 80 million dollar deal

Rangers Sign Aaron Rowand to a 5 yr 75 million dollar deal
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fearless Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Not just for the Reds but all of MLB. These are my guesses what are yours?

Reds Deal: Carlos Guevara & Scott Hatteberg

Rangers Deal: Taylor Teagarden

Reds Deal: Ryan Freel

Braves Deal: JoJo Reyes

Rays Deal: Rocco Baldelli

Twins Deal: Scott Baker + a mid level pitching prospect

Marlins Deal: Miguel Cabrera (sign to a 4 yr deal)

LA Angels Deal: Nick Adenhart, Brandon Wood, Macier Itzuris, Jose Arredondo

Dodgers Sign Alex Rodriguez to an 8 yr 250 Million dollar deal

Mets Sign Carlos Silva to a 4 yr 45 million dollar deal

Houston Astros Sign Francisco Cordero to a 4 yr 50 million dollar deal

Rockies sign Corey Patterson to a 3 yr deal

SD Padres sign Andruw Jones to a ??? deal

White Sox sign Torii Hunter to a 5 yr 80 million dollar deal

Rangers Sign Aaron Rowand to a 5 yr 75 million dollar deal

Most are reasonable. A couple quibbles.

1. I don't think the Pads sign Andruw. I think they'll resign Cameron at a discount due to his suspension. I'm guessing Jimbo signs Andruw in Washington.

2. Your Rangers deal could happen I guess, but Guevara might be lost in Rule 5 unless a deal happens soon or the Reds add him to the 40 man. I like Teagarden. They may want to move Laird instead before Arb kicks in. If the Reds could get the Rangers to take Hatte, I'd be interested in Frank Francisco for the pen.

3. I've been thinking about a Freel to the Braves deal myself. The Braves aren't in the market for more than a stopgap in CF. With Brandon Jones in AAA, Jordan Schafer in AA and Gorkys Hernandez in A+ in 2008, Freel to Atlanta to fill in makes a lot of sense. I don't think he'd net a Reyes though it would be a good deal for the Reds. I've been thinking along similar lines but figured that no one would part with a potential starter for him. I'd be happy with a cheap and useful pen arm like Joey Devine, Oscar Villareal or Macay McBride.

4. I don't see the Twins dealing away their starting pitching depth for such a question mark like Baldelli. I'd guess that they would be willing to pay more (maybe add Swarzak or Perkins or upgrade to Slowey) for something better.

5. Why do the Rockies want Patterson when they have Tavaras?
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Re: Fearless Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Most are reasonable. A couple quibbles.

1. I don't think the Pads sign Andruw. I think they'll resign Cameron at a discount due to his suspension. I'm guessing Jimbo signs Andruw in Washington.

2. Your Rangers deal could happen I guess, but Guevara might be lost in Rule 5 unless a deal happens soon or the Reds add him to the 40 man. I like Teagarden. They may want to move Laird instead before Arb kicks in. If the Reds could get the Rangers to take Hatte, I'd be interested in Frank Francisco for the pen.

3. I've been thinking about a Freel to the Braves deal myself. The Braves aren't in the market for more than a stopgap in CF. With Brandon Jones in AAA, Jordan Schafer in AA and Gorkys Hernandez in A+ in 2008, Freel to Atlanta to fill in makes a lot of sense. I don't think he'd net a Reyes though it would be a good deal for the Reds. I've been thinking along similar lines but figured that no one would part with a potential starter for him. I'd be happy with a cheap and useful pen arm like Joey Devine, Oscar Villareal or Macay McBride.

4. I don't see the Twins dealing away their starting pitching depth for such a question mark like Baldelli. I'd guess that they would be willing to pay more (maybe add Swarzak or Perkins or upgrade to Slowey) for something better.

5. Why do the Rockies want Patterson when they have Tavaras?

All good points, and just my angle on things that might make my responses a bit more understandable. I'll start from your last question and go up.

I think you may have a good point about Taveras vs. Patterson, they are virtually the same player except Taveras is younger and cheaper so I would have to agree and scratch that idea.

My original thought process on that was that they were tiring of Taveras the one trick pony (bunt single machine). I assumed this from the benching he got in the W/S, I may have read too much into it but that's what I got out of it. But his OBP% is still much better than Patterson's although Patterson at least has the added dimension of giving them a bit of a boost in power. Which in that park could be devastating if he could drive that ball into the alley's more proficiently than Taveras.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Next If I'm the Twins I deal for a guy like that who is low to med risk/high reward. They may be able to get him much cheaper than a lot of other candidates to play CF. However the Rays are not ones to deal a guy off so easily w/o asking for the moon. This deal would satisfy both teams I feel. Assuming Baldelli (I don't recall his exact injury, Hammy?) can still play CF which the Twins would have to guesstimate by doing a sound physical then he's a perfect target for them.

Perhaps the Rays would accept something like Glenn Perkins and Zach Ward for Baldelli considering they really have no where to put Baldelli at this point to get his trade value back up. LF Crawford, CF Upton, RF Young.

I just assumed with the Freel deal that with Hampton's possible return, the Braves alledged pursuit of Glavine and the acquisition of Jurjenns that perhaps Reyes would be available for a perfect piece of the Atl puzzle in Freel. I may have overshot though on that one and I would be perfectly happy with either Villareal or McBride, haven't seen much of Devine. I would prefer Villareal in that because of his ability to be a long man out of the pen which I think we need.

I also like Francisco but I don't think we would get him w/o some serious pieces coming from us. However we could help each other if we gave them a couple of young nearly ready starter's arms.

Say Guevara, Hatteberg, Maloney and/or Fisher

For

Francisco and Teagarden

That's also a good point the Padres could save quite a few dollars and get just as good a player in Cameron. However can they afford to miss him for 25 games, and is that the end of his problems? Might he be in line down the road for a 50 game or more suspension. Just things to consider.

My initial thought was that Jones fills their need for both a CF and a major power source. Cameron does both quite well but Jones has the power to hit 35+ even at Petco, whereas Cameron only gives you about 20ish. Even still I do think Cameron at least would not get fat and out of shape after you gave him a big deal so I guess in the end I could see them re-upping Cameron.

I don't think the Nats ownership group will allow Bowden to add that kind of salary to the payroll. In fact the more I think about it perhaps this would be the perfect spot for Corey Patterson.

Oh and one more thing with regards to my predictions. I think perhaps the Giants will be the ones who make the deal for Miguel Cabrera.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?