Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here Is A Team That Could Match Up With The Reds

Here Is A Team That Could Match Up With The Reds

Oakland A's.

Rumor is they are entertaining trade talks for starter Joe Blanton. They might need a third baseman especially Eric Chavez plagued with back woes. They also might be looking for another OF if Kotsay is traded. Right now the plan would be if that happen Denorfia would be the replacement for Kotsay.

So how do you feel about Blanton as a starter for the Reds and what you think the Reds should give up to get him?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Here Is A Team That Could Match Up With The Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Oakland A's.

Rumor is they are entertaining trade talks for starter Joe Blanton. They might need a third baseman especially Eric Chavez plagued with back woes. They also might be looking for another OF if Kotsay is traded. Right now the plan would be if that happen Denorfia would be the replacement for Kotsay.

So how do you feel about Blanton as a starter for the Reds and what you think the Reds should give up to get him?
    Travis Wood and Matt Maloney for Joe Blanton?

And while we're at it, let's see what it would take to get Chris Denorfia back, since this team lacks a true, legitimate everyday CF.

Let's package Votto, Wood, Maloney for Blanton and Denorfia, and see if we can get something else in the deal from BB.

Yes, this would mean Dunn has to play 1B for us.

I'd much rather have Votto than Denorfia.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    I'd much rather have Votto than Denorfia.
    I don't think Wood and Maloney would get Blanton.

Add in Votto, and we should be in the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I don't think Wood and Maloney would get Blanton.

Add in Votto, and we should be in the equation.
    Wood and Maloney as significant parts of a deal probably wouldn't interest the As enough to carry a conversation about Blanton (i.e. they wouldn't be names on Beane's short list so they are probably non starter ideas).

Frankly, I don't see that Wood has a great deal of trade value especially in terms of major league talent. Maloney's trade value has basically already been determined...Maloney is worth about 60 innings of Kyle Lohse on the open market.
    Last edited by jojo; 11-11-2007 at 09:33 AM.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

And while we're at it, let's see what it would take to get Chris Denorfia back, since this team lacks a true, legitimate everyday CF.
    Denorfia still qualifies as a legit everyday CF based on a sub-.800 OPS in less than 150 major league ABs and coming off TJ surgery? I don't see it.

I do think Oakland is a good matchup for a deal -- Votto and a solid prospect for Blanton sounds reasonable to me. The fact that Beane and Krivsky have dealt before is a plus.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Denorfia still qualifies as a legit everyday CF based on a sub-.800 OPS in less than 150 major league ABs and coming off TJ surgery? I don't see it.

I do think Oakland is a good matchup for a deal -- Votto and a solid prospect for Blanton sounds reasonable to me. The fact that Beane and Krivsky have dealt before is a plus.
    161 career PA, .358 career OBP - which is the only factor of his OPS which means anything to me. 11 XBH out of 40 make no difference to me. The only difference was during his minor league career, and his cup of coffee with the Reds, Denorfia proved he could get on base, and played the highest level of CF D we've seen since probably Mike Cameron.

When you combine Denorfia's excellent defense along with his league average OPS, he's definitely an everyday CF.

I'm not sure Votto would be much of an enticement for the A's, I'd be okay with Barton if were them. Their issues are mostly CF and the non-1B portion their IF. Kotsay, Chavez, Ellis, and Crosby are always hurt.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    I'm not sure Votto would be much of an enticement for the A's, I'd be okay with Barton if were them. Their issues are mostly CF and the non-1B portion their IF. Kotsay, Chavez, Ellis, and Crosby are always hurt.
    Agree. They are trying to move a 1B (Dan Johnson) to make room for Barton, so I see no interest in Votto. Jack Cust is probably the DH there. I'm guessing they would want Hamilton or Bruce. I'd happily send Hamilton with Maloney and Wood if it would get Blanton, but I'm not sure. If the Reds would agree to take Kotsay's $8 Million off Oakland's hands, it might get it done. It would be worth it to get Blanton IMO. The Reds could pay for it by dealing some other guys in separate deals like Freel and Stanton or even Griffey if they could make it happen. Kotsay would be the defensive CF we've been wanting if he's healthy.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

No interest in bringing Denorfia back. I have no idea why you are so obsessed with him. If anything, we are trying to subtract outfielders, not add them.

I would find out what the A's are seeking for Haren first, as rumor has it he may be available if Beane goes the rebuilding route. I do think Maloney has a little more value than he had at the trade deadline based off of his performance in August and September. I would definitely include him in a deal for Banton, and let Beane have his pick of any other player in the system outside of the Fab Four.
    Go BLUE!!!

Chris Denorfia? Without giving up Bruce AND Bailey? That is an insult to the legend that is Chris Denorfia! If he finds out the someone is spreading such scurrulous rumors, he's liable to send forth Chuck Norris (his lackey) and hurt somebody.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 11-11-2007 at 11:58 AM.

I think we should dedicate our entire offseason to acquiring Chris Denorfia and Ben Broussard.

Then maybe we could go after Tim Costo and Reggie Jefferson, too.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I think we should dedicate our entire offseason to acquiring Chris Denorfia and Ben Broussard.

Then maybe we could go after Tim Costo and Reggie Jefferson, too.
    But can we get Ryan Dempster?
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

All this amusing talk about former Reds prospects aside, I would be seriously psyched if we could acquire Joe Blanton. He's about as close to what we need as anyone out there -- an innings-eater who is imposing on the mound and has a rubber arm. If all it would take was Hamilton or Votto + a few prospects to get him, sign me up.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Travis Wood and Matt Maloney for Joe Blanton?

Let's package Votto, Wood, Maloney for Blanton and Denorfia, and see if we can get something else in the deal from BB.

Yes, this would mean Dunn has to play 1B for us.
    Ya mon. Let's be gettin' Denorfia back! 'Dis stuff be fine we're smokin'!
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Turn Off Ads?