Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Twins targeting Hamilton?

Twins targeting Hamilton?

According to www.mlbtraderumors.com, Josh Hamilton is one of a very small number of players that would be high on the Twinkies wish list in a deal for Johan Santana!

What would the other parts have to be? Because the Twins are one of the only teams in baseball that is not hot after pitching, I really think they would be a great matchup for the Reds. They are also supposedly hot after Scott Hatteberg, who would fill their DH role. Could a deal of Hamilton, Hatteberg, and any pitcher not named Bailey or Cueto be enough for Santana? Probably not, but I bet it could fetch Matt Garza seeing as who they are players the Twins highly covet. Very interesting, stay tuned...
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Twins targeting Hamilton?

The site says "random speculation". If that speculation is correct, I would start with Hamilton/Garza discussions and go from there. I think Hamilton/Santana would take a whole lot more than just Hamilton.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

From mlbtraderumors.com:
    Random speculation on players the Twins might covet for Santana: Josh Hamilton, Chris Young of Arizona, Jacoby Ellsbury, Delmon Young, Carlos Gomez, or Garrett Atkins.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Interesting dichotomy... "mlbtraderumors.com" and "random speculation."
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

The only way that happens, IMO, is in a 3-way deal. I can't see the Reds dealing for Santana, or signing him long term.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

The twins are lefty heavy already. My guess if if they're going for a power bat, it will need to be a righty.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    The twins are lefty heavy already. My guess if if they're going for a power bat, it will need to be a righty.
    The Twins have so little in terms of actual major league caliber hitters, never mind power hitters, that I doubt they're that picky about handedness. I would think their starting offense, as it consists right now, would be: Mauer(L), Morneau(L), Kubel(L), Cuddyer(R), Bartlett(R), Casilla(S), and 3 blanks. They do tend to give Mauer and Morneau turns at DH as rest, so maybe they'd prefer a backup catcher or 1st baseman who can hit to a real full-time DH, but they really do need 3 more real hitters to play 3rd, CF, and other. And if they could upgrade either corner outfield spot, I think they'd do that, too. Which is a really long way of saying, almost anyone who can hit at all could be an upgrade for them somewhere.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

For what it's worth, I'd trade Hamilton for Santana.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    For what it's worth, I'd trade Hamilton for Santana.
    Question is, what else do they want with Hammy.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Random speculation on players the Twins might covet for Santana: Josh Hamilton, Chris Young of Arizona, Jacoby Ellsbury, Delmon Young, Carlos Gomez, or Garrett Atkins.

Key words.

Actually, I think Santana might be easier to get than Garza. And I am not so sure that something like Hamilton, Hatteberg, Maloney and Stubbs might not get us in the ballpark assuming MIN wants bats back rather than pitching in general because they feel they have the high end pitching prospects who need playing time to replace Santana with.

And if I am the Reds, I pull the trigger on that deal without talking extension and talk longterm deal with him when he gets here or deal him at the deadline. We need pitching more than MIN so a flip there might be good for both of us. It would be far easier to give up a Phillip Hughes if you were getting a Santana, but MIN doesn't need Hughes, they need bats.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Gazra would be a better fit for us than 1 year of Santana.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Totally agree.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

For all any of us know, Random Speculation could mean someone is reading the ideas thrown around here.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Griffey comes off the books next year. The Reds could pony up if they are serious about winning.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Turn Off Ads?