Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twins May be Interested in Hamilton for Santana

Twins May be Interested in Hamilton for Santana

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/1...s-may-req.html

Mlbtraderumors had the following this morning:
    How about Ken Davidoff this winter? The Newsday reporter has been digging up some great hot stove rumors so far. Today, he has some new info about Johan Santana.

While Santana isn't up for bidding quite yet, he should be soon after the Twins make their token offer. The Yankees will certainly be in on him. Davidoff says a package of Phil Hughes, Melky Cabrera, and a prospect wouldn't cut it, even though those players are very valuable. The Twins are one of few teams that actually feel good about their pitching, so the focus is on acquiring a star position player. With that in mind, they'd demand Robinson Cano from the Yankees. Cano is more expensive than a Hughes or Cabrera, but the Twins would free up $13MM by dealing Santana. Plus you have to think Cano would be better for public relations/damage control.

Random speculation on players the Twins might covet for Santana: Josh Hamilton, Chris Young of Arizona, Jacoby Ellsbury, Delmon Young, Carlos Gomez, or Garrett Atkins.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Twins May be Interested in Hamilton for Santana

I think this is a testament to just how much stock Josh Hamilton has. I've been reading about how he's an injury risk and one relapse away from crashing and burning, etc. And while those things may be true, this is a guy who can become a bona fide superstar in this league. Speed, power, hit for average, has a phenomenal eye, and a rocket arm. He truly is a pleasure to watch.

Now having said all that, would I trade him for Johan Santana? If I could get more than 1 year of JS, of course. But let's not sell JH short. This is a guy who OPSed ~.930. His rookie season. After 4 years off. While battling nagging aches and pains. If you trade him, you better be bringing back top shelf pitching talent.
    Last edited by Screwball; 11-11-2007 at 01:00 PM.

Twins would want more than Hamilton for a Santana. How far does anyone think WK should go? (Hypothetically of course).

Senor Votto

I'd hate to trade away a guy like Hamilton for a season rental.

got alil captain in u?

if im wayne i do this deal and tell them one of the conditions is that the twins have to sign santana to an extension. We'd pay most of the extension when he got there and we'd send them hamilton.

If you can sign Santana longer term, I do that deal in a heartbeat. We have Griffey, Dunn, Phillips, Bruce, and an emerging Encarnacion and Votto for power.

It also makes me wonder if we could get Bedard or Kazmir for just Hamilton, if Hamilton's stock is that high.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    If you can sign Santana longer term, I do that deal in a heartbeat. We have Griffey, Dunn, Phillips, Bruce, and an emerging Encarnacion and Votto for power.

It also makes me wonder if we could get Bedard or Kazmir for just Hamilton, if Hamilton's stock is that high.
    I don't think Tampa Bay would get rid of one guy they've groomed in Kazmir, for a guy that already flamed out with them. Bedard might be a different story.

Well, my guess is it would take another significant piece (or two) to get pitchers like that, but I could see Hamilton being considered the centerpiece (from the Reds) of a blockbuster trade.

part of BBN

I agree with the first part as far as doing a deal like that but two words that make me wonder in that story are "speculation" and "might".
    I mean if a package of Hughes, Cabrera and a prospect wouldnt cut it then I imagine it would take quite a bit more than Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by rocko View Post
    I agree with the first part as far as doing a deal like that but two words that make me wonder in that story are "speculation" and "might".
    I mean if a package of Hughes, Cabrera and a prospect wouldnt cut it then I imagine it would take quite a bit more than Hamilton.
    Yeh, something like Hamilton, EE & Bailey(orCueto).

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Well, my guess is it would take another significant piece (or two) to get pitchers like that, but I could see Hamilton being considered the centerpiece (from the Reds) of a blockbuster trade.
    Amen, Screwball. I've been saying this all along... people have been saying Hamilton for Garza, but I think this really sells Hamilton short - I mean we're desperate for pitching, but if we have to lose Hamilton - it better be in a package for an outstanding pitcher - Bedard, Kazmir, Peavey, Santana (if we can get an extension)... however, I've said this in about 6 different threads now, so I'll give it a rest

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Yeh, something like Hamilton, EE & Bailey(orCueto).
    You may be right, but there is no way Krivsky makes this deal. Hamilton is alot to give for a rental, let alone Bailey, Cueto, or Edwin too.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    You may be right, but there is no way Krivsky makes this deal. Hamilton is alot to give for a rental, let alone Bailey, Cueto, or Edwin too.
    Bronson Arroyo, Josh Hamilton, and Edwin Encarnacion. Will everyone please leave Cueto, Bailey, Votto, and Bruce alone!

agree

I don't think the Reds SHOULD trade for Santana even if they could sign him to a LTC ( ie 7 years/$140M or so ).

The young, talented & CHEAP guys are the lifeblood of a small market team.

IMO 2008 is NOT the year. Why would it be? The Reds were bad last year. Get rid of the really old ( Jr, Stanton, etc ).
    Keep the young kids like Hamilton, Bruce, Bailey, Votto, Cueto, EE, Phillips,etc. Try to add a couple under 30 pitchers to go with Harang/Arroyo/the pen. Guys like Kerry Wood, David Riske or a Japanese free agent. Try to pry away Heilman, Capuano,etc.

A trade for Santana that costs 3 great youngsters isn't what the Reds need. Keeping the three youngsters and spending the $20M on 3 decent pitchers is a better plan.

Re: agree

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    I don't think the Reds SHOULD trade for Santana even if they could sign him to a LTC ( ie 7 years/$140M or so ).

The young, talented & CHEAP guys are the lifeblood of a small market team.

IMO 2008 is NOT the year. Why would it be? The Reds were bad last year. Get rid of the really old ( Jr, Stanton, etc ).
    Keep the young kids like Hamilton, Bruce, Bailey, Votto, Cueto, EE, Phillips,etc. Try to add a couple under 30 pitchers to go with Harang/Arroyo/the pen. Guys like Kerry Wood, David Riske or a Japanese free agent. Try to pry away Heilman, Capuano,etc.

A trade for Santana that costs 3 great youngsters isn't what the Reds need. Keeping the three youngsters and spending the $20M on 3 decent pitchers is a better plan.
    Thank God there is someone smart on this board!

Turn Off Ads?