Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browns vs Steelers

Senor Votto

Browns vs Steelers

I hope the Browns can win this game so bad. I loathe the Steelers.

That was a nice Kick off Return by the Browns to get a touchdown and the lead back.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: Browns vs Steelers

Was that Marvin Lewis challenging that play?

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Was that Marvin Lewis challenging that play?
    Did he really use a timeout, and then challenge the play, wasting 2 timeouts? Seriously?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Did he really use a timeout, and then challenge the play, wasting 2 timeouts? Seriously?
    I couldn't believe it. Awful coaching right there.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Yep. Dumb blunder. But he made an excellent challenge in the first half on the Edward's TD catch.

Anderson did one heck of job in the first half (QB Rating 114.6), but was simply atrocious in the second half.

Cribbs is an animal. 204 total yds in kickoff returns (longest was for 100).

Jamal Lewis losing that one fumble by trying to get the extra yd and being stood up and stripped was plain dumb.

But the biggest idiotic blunder was Dinkin's holding call on that last punt return that would have gave the Browns the ball on the Pitt 38 yd line; but instead, ut the ball back on their own 33. From there they moved the ball, but missed a 53 yd FG attempt to send the game into O.T.

But the Brown's defense, even though they did a better job today of putting pressure on Ben, still is the worst in the NFL. When it came down to it, Ben led them to victory.

And while I didn't expect it to be a blowout like that first game, with Frye at QB, I didn't think the game would be as close as it was.

The reason the Browns were 5-3 going into this game is because their offense, which is top 5 overall in the NFL, has been able to compensate for such a sad defense. But it keeps catching up to them.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    ...their offense, which is top 5 overall in the NFL, has been able to compensate for such a sad defense. But it keeps catching up to them.
    Hmmm, sounds like another football team from Ohio.

It's pretty striking how similar the two teams are. On offense, the Bengals are 8th in YPG, the Browns are 11th. The Bengals are 9th in PPG, the Browns are 5th.

But on defense, the Bengals are 31st in YPGA, the Browns are 32nd. The Bengals have allowed the 3rd most PPG, the Browns have allowed the most.

My guess is the difference in records comes from turnovers. I'm not sure how Cleveland has done this season, but the Bengals have been pretty far in the red (~-7) against all teams not named Baltimore. We could very well see another shootout when they meet again in Cincy.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Yep. Dumb blunder. But he made an excellent challenge in the first half on the Edward's TD catch.

Anderson did one heck of job in the first half (QB Rating 114.6), but was simply atrocious in the second half.

Cribbs is an animal. 204 total yds in kickoff returns (longest was for 100).

Jamal Lewis losing that one fumble by trying to get the extra yd and being stood up and stripped was plain dumb.

But the biggest idiotic blunder was Dinkin's holding call on that last punt return that would have gave the Browns the ball on the Pitt 38 yd line; but instead, ut the ball back on their own 33. From there they moved the ball, but missed a 53 yd FG attempt to send the game into O.T.
    Overall, it was an exciting game, GAC. The holding on the last punt return was a huge blunder, but the double-burn of the two Time Outs on the challenge was inexcusable. Even with the hold on the return, the Browns were able to drive deep enough to get a tying field goal IF they would have had one of those TO's left rather than having to burn two downs during the final four plays with spikes to stop the clock. That TD catch wasn't going to be overturned. Everyone but Crennel seemed to know it and even if it was reversed by some act of referee stupidity, the Steelers still had a third-and-goal from the 2 at worst.

I can maybe understand the first Time Out in order to get a better look at it, but Crennel would have been better served to just close his eyes and throw the red flag prior to that. Yeah, he was money on his first challenge, but that last challenge was akin to throwing good money after bad.

And yes, Cribbs was a monster. The guy can flat out fly, but I was even more impressed by his vision. Cribbs just seems to anticipate lanes opening for him. That's a gift and should the Browns play well enough to grab a playoff spot, Cribbs is the kind of player who can help an underdog steal a postseason win. He was disruptive when fielding kicks today and he completely messed with Pittsburgh's kicking game as the Browns had solid field position all day long even when trying to pooch a kick away from him.

On the other hand, I was not impressed with Kellen Winslow Jr. The guy has immense talent, but he seemed soft over the middle today. He looked like he had alligator arms and the footsteps he heard distrupted him. And exactly where was Braylon Edwards? His one catch was a beaut, but one catch?

And I know Pitt got better pressure on Anderson during the second half, but no sacks. There's something to be said for hurries, but prior to the final drive Anderson was 3 for 9 for 11 yards passing in the second half. Jamal Lewis was awful again, sporting a 2.19 YPC average with almost a third of his yards gained on an 11 yard run. With a 21-9 lead, it appears that Lewis got only four carries in the second half (3 yards) and fumbled on his longest 2nd-half carry (4 yards). At every turn, I was expecting a death strike to Edwards from Cleveland's offense in the second half. Either that, or a grinding game dedicated to take time off the clock with Lewis, but the Browns did neither.

But the Brown's defense, even though they did a better job today of putting pressure on Ben, still is the worst in the NFL. When it came down to it, Ben led them to victory.

And while I didn't expect it to be a blowout like that first game, with Frye at QB, I didn't think the game would be as close as it was.

The reason the Browns were 5-3 going into this game is because their offense, which is top 5 overall in the NFL, has been able to compensate for such a sad defense. But it keeps catching up to them.
    The Browns defense did a pretty good job of "bend-don't-break" in the first half today. But in the second half, they broke. Pittsburgh's pass blocking has been an issue all year (as has their pass rush and special teams) and if not for Roethisberger's ability to avoid takedowns, the Browns' 4 sacks might have been enough. I have no idea how Roethisberger was able to break a 30-yard TD run, but that guy won the game for Pittsburgh today with the ball in his hands. Hopefully, folks will begin putting the "Ben sucks" baby to bed.

But overall, the Browns impressed me today. They played with a ton of heart. They've got a good offense, even if it is a bit inconsistent, and their return game is one of the best- if not the best in the AFC. Should they produce something akin to a 1st or 2nd-tier defense, they'll be even tougher. And frankly, looking at the Browns' schedule, they have a decent shot at making the playoffs this season.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Overall, it was an exciting game, GAC.
    Yes it was. But even when the Browns were rolling in the 1st half, while the Steelers were kinda not hitting on all cylinders, in the back of my mind I kept telling myself the Steelers were going to come back. Why? Again - see Brown's defense.

Their defense put up their best showing yesterday (and that ain't saying much).

The holding on the last punt return was a huge blunder, but the double-burn of the two Time Outs on the challenge was inexcusable. Even with the hold on the return, the Browns were able to drive deep enough to get a tying field goal IF they would have had one of those TO's left rather than having to burn two downs during the final four plays with spikes to stop the clock. That TD catch wasn't going to be overturned. Everyone but Crennel seemed to know it and even if it was reversed by some act of referee stupidity....

I can maybe understand the first Time Out in order to get a better look at it, but Crennel would have been better served to just close his eyes and throw the red flag prior to that.
    Yep. You don't waste a T.O. to think about whether or not to throw a red flag. And that was a perfect example of why not.... it cost us us TWO time outs.

On the other hand, I was not impressed with Kellen Winslow Jr. The guy has immense talent, but he seemed soft over the middle today. He looked like he had alligator arms and the footsteps he heard distrupted him. And exactly where was Braylon Edwards? His one catch was a beaut, but one catch?
    Kellen is banged up. I read a good article on him last week, and the guy plays with such emotion and heart, and wants so much to win, that he's starting to suffer some of the physical consequences of playing. He definitely had an off day.

And I know Pitt got better pressure on Anderson during the second half, but no sacks. There's something to be said for hurries, but prior to the final drive Anderson was 3 for 9 for 11 yards passing in the second half.
    I tried to find Anderson's QB Ranking for the 2nd half, but I know it had to be downright terrible. Anderson (and this offense) takes the pressure somewhat (or compensates to a degree) for the defense. They didn't do that in the second half, and gthis defense can only hold out for so long.

But overall I am impressed with Derek. He was a good QB at Oregon State. Last yearwas basically his rookie year. He started in 3 games and against three defensive-minded teams in Pitt, Baltimore, and TB. He did good except in the TB game where he stunk it up pretty bad. But again - the kid was a inexperienced rookie behind an atrocious offensive line riddled with injuries.

Jamal Lewis was awful again, sporting a 2.19 YPC average with almost a third of his yards gained on an 11 yard run. With a 21-9 lead, it appears that Lewis got only four carries in the second half (3 yards) and fumbled on his longest 2nd-half carry (4 yards).
    He's not awful...... HE SUCKS! He no longer has the speed to get around the outside, and is strictly a power back with old legs who has lost some of his UMMMPH.

At every turn, I was expecting a death strike to Edwards from Cleveland's offense in the second half. Either that, or a grinding game dedicated to take time off the clock with Lewis, but the Browns did neither.
    In last year's draft I was hoping they would have taken Peterson from Oklahoma. But what good is having a RB if your O-line still sucks? And Joe Thomas has done an excellent job, along with the free agent acquistion of Steinbach. So we addressed the most important issue first.

But we need a RB.

And also some LBers. McGhinest is the pits. Ben made him look terrible a few times yesterday. Very Geritol.

Hopefully, folks will begin putting the "Ben sucks" baby to bed.
    The only people that complain and say he sucks, are the ones whose team he continues to beat. I think there is a jealousy factor.

But overall, the Browns impressed me today. They played with a ton of heart. They've got a good offense, even if it is a bit inconsistent, and their return game is one of the best- if not the best in the AFC. Should they produce something akin to a 1st or 2nd-tier defense, they'll be even tougher. And frankly, looking at the Browns' schedule, they have a decent shot at making the playoffs this season.
    I stated before the season that we would be much improved simply because we have the talent, but before, had no offensive line. The "heart" of a team flows through that offensive line. We have addressed that.

We gotta fix our defense. Especially in the LBing corp. If you are going to use a 3-4 defense then get the personnel to do it. And that is what pees me off about Crennel. He came, like Marvin Lewis,from a defensive background. Both earned their head coaches jobs because of their defensive resumes.

And look at their respective defenses? Embarassing.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-12-2007 at 08:27 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Overall, it was an exciting game, GAC. The holding on the last punt return was a huge blunder, but the double-burn of the two Time Outs on the challenge was inexcusable. Even with the hold on the return, the Browns were able to drive deep enough to get a tying field goal IF they would have had one of those TO's left rather than having to burn two downs during the final four plays with spikes to stop the clock. That TD catch wasn't going to be overturned. Everyone but Crennel seemed to know it and even if it was reversed by some act of referee stupidity, the Steelers still had a third-and-goal from the 2 at worst.

I can maybe understand the first Time Out in order to get a better look at it, but Crennel would have been better served to just close his eyes and throw the red flag prior to that. Yeah, he was money on his first challenge, but that last challenge was akin to throwing good money after bad.
    No doubt that Crennel blew that challenge but it does go to the idiocy of the replay rule in the NFL. So often it comes down to getting a look at a decent replay before the offense quick snaps the ball on the next play. That's not what NFL football is about and I don't see why the NFL doesn't change it because its the coaches that look bad in this system and it's mainly coaches on the competition committee.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

He's not awful...... HE SUCKS! He no longer has the speed to get around the outside, and is strictly a power back with old legs who has lost some of his UMMMPH.
    Jason Wright is the best back we have. He should be getting 15 carries a game, at least. Harrison might even be better than Jamal at this point. He's slippery and quick as hell.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    No doubt that Crennel blew that challenge but it does go to the idiocy of the replay rule in the NFL. So often it comes down to getting a look at a decent replay before the offense quick snaps the ball on the next play. That's not what NFL football is about and I don't see why the NFL doesn't change it because its the coaches that look bad in this system and it's mainly coaches on the competition committee.
    I'm not quite sure what you're saying there, Ray. I personally don't think any coach has a right to view a single replay prior to throwing the challenge flag. IMHO, the system (with a few exceptions) is doing what it's supposed to- minimizing bad calls by the refs.

If I had my druthers, no one would be able to run a replay on the jumbotron or in a coaches booth until after the next play is snapped. That way a coach would have to rely on the word of his player(s) involved in the play. But that's only a minor issue for me. Maybe that's what you're saying and, if so, I agree 100%.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I'm not quite sure what you're saying there, Ray. I personally don't think any coach has a right to view a single replay prior to throwing the challenge flag. IMHO, the system (with a few exceptions) is doing what it's supposed to- minimizing bad calls by the refs.

If I had my druthers, no one would be able to run a replay on the jumbotron or in a coaches booth until after the next play is snapped. That way a coach would have to rely on the word of his player(s) involved in the play. But that's only a minor issue for me. Maybe that's what you're saying and, if so, I agree 100%.
    Yea, I like instant replay, but they have some serious administration issues in both college and pros. I agree with you on the above, there is also the issue of teams trying to get the play run real quick on a close call. Why have the system if you leave a loophole like quick snapping the next play?

I guess we don't agree. The coach is generally not in a good position to see whether a call is bad while coaching from the sideline. If he doesn't get a chance to see a decent replay then how is he supposed to prudently challenge a call? I also agree with Traderumor as to the loophole of a quick snap.

I think the college system is best:

...a replay official in the press box would review all plays on the field and stop the game for review if a call was in question.

But a coach also could request a review by calling timeout. If his challenge overturned the call, the coach would retain the right to challenge later and not lose a timeout. The coach would keep the right to continue challenging as long as he kept winning challenges, said Ty Halpin, the NCAA's associate director for playing rules administration.

"(The challenges) are unlimited," Halpin said. "But (continuing to win them) is probably not going to happen."

If the challenged call is upheld by review, the team would be charged a timeout and the coach couldn't challenge again.
    This seems to work efficiently and largely takes the coach out of the replay business, yet he still retains his right so the onus isn't entirely on the boothe.

The NFL handles it one way during the game and another way with 2 mins left and OT. That is nuts too. Pick a system and use it regardless of the time on the clock. Rules should be uniform throughout the game IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    Jason Wright is the best back we have. He should be getting 15 carries a game, at least. Harrison might even be better than Jamal at this point. He's slippery and quick as hell.
    Thank God we only have Jamal signed for this year because he ain't making it!

We fans have such a huge advantage. We sit in our comfy living rooms (or local pub), watching on a big screen TV, with all types of technology at our disposal. We got the TV announcers, with the aid of the technicians in the booth, showng us a particular play over and over again and from every different angle and viewpoint. We got our DVRs (Tivo) that allow us to consistently review a play.

So by the time we're done, we can come to a pretty sure conclusion whether the right call was or wasn't made, or whether a coach should/shouldn't have throw the red flag.

So they are consistently under our "microscope".

Those field refs or sideline coaches don't have that to their advantage, so I try to cut them some slack unless it is really obvious. It's a tough job that is moving at a pretty fast pace.

Don't get me wrong. I agree with some of the improvements they have made in the game. I just think, sometimes, they are striving to hard to achieve some sort of "perfection", via technology, that may not be able to be achieved without really slowing the game down even more.

Turn Off Ads?