Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Browns vs Steelers

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Re: Browns vs Steelers

Yeah, GAC, but has Romeo ever won a challenge? I swear I don't recall one!
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Yea, I like instant replay, but they have some serious administration issues in both college and pros. I agree with you on the above, there is also the issue of teams trying to get the play run real quick on a close call. Why have the system if you leave a loophole like quick snapping the next play?
    I think the only way to "fix" that might be having the replay official in the booth automatically review all TD scoring plays; meaning that the scoring team wouldn't be allowed to "quick snap" the extra point. But I don't see any realistic way for that to happen for all non-scoring plays (outside of the last 2 minutes of each half) without slowing the game down to a crawl because the NFL would be virtually mandating that a team couldn't snap the ball for a certain time frame after the ball is set by the official. IMHO, the games are already long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The NFL handles it one way during the game and another way with 2 mins left and OT. That is nuts too. Pick a system and use it regardless of the time on the clock. Rules should be uniform throughout the game IMO.
    I don't see an issue there. During the last two minutes of each half, the offensive unit is more likely to be running a no-huddle offense due to time constraints. That means quick snaps on virtually every play so I think it's wise for the officials to take the replay decision out of the coaches hands. Ditto for sudden-death overtime.

And the "no-huddle" offense brings up what I consider to be an interesting point. Outside of the last two minutes of a half, some teams may run a no-huddle strategically in an effort to throw a defense off its game and to limit defensive substitutions. Mandating instant replay from the booth outside of the current scenarios might go a long way toward killing the no-huddle as an effective strategic option.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    Yeah, GAC, but has Romeo ever won a challenge? I swear I don't recall one!
    Didn't watch the game this past Sunday huh? He won that challenge in the first half on Edward's TD. When the ref called him out I came off the couch screaming he dragged his foot, he was in!- "Romeo, Romeo, where for art thou Romeo? Throw the flag!"
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post

I don't see an issue there. During the last two minutes of each half, the offensive unit is more likely to be running a no-huddle offense due to time constraints. That means quick snaps on virtually every play so I think it's wise for the officials to take the replay decision out of the coaches hands. Ditto for sudden-death overtime.

And the "no-huddle" offense brings up what I consider to be an interesting point. Outside of the last two minutes of a half, some teams may run a no-huddle strategically in an effort to throw a defense off its game and to limit defensive substitutions. Mandating instant replay from the booth outside of the current scenarios might go a long way toward killing the no-huddle as an effective strategic option.
    I rarely see a no huddle in OT. There's no rush. You've got 15 mins and all you have to do is get into FG range. There's no more reason to run a no huddle in OT than in any other quarter.

Boothe replays would have precious little effect on no huddle offenses IMO. Most of the plays are cut and dried with no reason for replays. It would be rare for a boothe review to halt play on the field.

I rarely see a no huddle in OT. There's no rush. You've got 15 mins and all you have to do is get into FG range. There's no more reason to run a no huddle in OT than in any other quarter.
    Oh, I agree. I wasn't talking about no-huddle offenses in OT and I firmly support the use of booth-driven instant replay in OT.

Boothe replays would have precious little effect on no huddle offenses IMO. Most of the plays are cut and dried with no reason for replays. It would be rare for a boothe review to halt play on the field.
    I've seen it happen enough in the last two minutes of a half that I'd have to disagree with you there. From a strategic standpoint, having a replay official in the booth randomly stop play could be a death knell for a no-huddle strategy. At minimum, we might see officials taking longer to position the ball when an offense goes no-huddle to allow the the replay booth official to get a better look at a play. At minimum, we already have enough time stops during an NFL football game regardless of offensive set and strategy. We simply don't need more.

The rule was designed to allow head coaches to stop play via challenge with limited information (consisting mainly of feedback from players). I don't see any reason to change the system while also slowing down the game and potentially busting up a viable offensive strategy prior to the last two minutes of a half.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    The rule was designed to allow head coaches to stop play via challenge with limited information (consisting mainly of feedback from players). I don't see any reason to change the system while also slowing down the game and potentially busting up a viable offensive strategy prior to the last two minutes of a half.
    Fair enough, but do you really believe the rule was designed to stop play based upon feedback from players on the field? I've never gotten that impression. I've heard color commentators say that the coach is dependent on one of his staff "upstairs" to advise him whether to challenge.

Have you seen the HD commercial, run during many football games, where the guy in the boothe is looking at a replay on his crystal clear TV set which shows a receiver getting both feet down in bounds? Upon seeing that he calls down to the head coach and says, "challenge it." I think such a commercial has its basis on the fact that most coaches form their opinion on whether to challenge or not on that that sort of scenario.

Fair enough, but do you really believe the rule was designed to stop play based upon feedback from players on the field? I've never gotten that impression. I've heard color commentators say that the coach is dependent on one of his staff "upstairs" to advise him whether to challenge.

Have you seen the HD commercial, run during many football games, where the guy in the boothe is looking at a replay on his crystal clear TV set which shows a receiver getting both feet down in bounds? Upon seeing that he calls down to the head coach and says, "challenge it." I think such a commercial has its basis on the fact that most coaches form their opinion on whether to challenge or not on that that sort of scenario.
    Oh, I hear ya'. IMHO, that's what the replay rule has evolved into. I'd suggest that a coach (or staff) really shouldn't have the expectation of viewing X number of replays prior to throwing the challenge flag. From my perspective, the coach who's questioning the call should realize that the other team can get to the line as quickly as they want to after the refs set the ball. They have X amount of time. If the coach in the booth can't get clear visual evidence to overturn in that amount of time, then I really have little sympathy. Double that for a first down play that requires a lot of player movement upfield or a Touchdown where players celebrate after scoring. There's enough time.

Now, I like the Samsung HD commercial. Heck, I own a 1080p Samsung HDTV. But there's a big difference between seeing a clear first angle and needing to see another three or four angles prior to communicating a "challenge it" recommendation to a head coach.

I understand that you're looking to change the rule to match up with what coaches want. But I think that the coaches can easily work within the current rules with proper gameplanning.

--Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?