Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 50 TV Icons

Zoinks!

Top 50 TV Icons

The list of "The 50 Greatest TV Icons," compiled by TV Land network and Entertainment Weekly magazine:
    50. Larry Hagman
    49. Calista Flockhart
    48. Jimmy Smits
    47. Simon Cowell
    46. Lassie
    45. Sarah Michelle Gellar
    44. Susan Lucci
    43. Flip Wilson
    42. James Gandolfini
    41. Jon Stewart
    40. Sally Field
    39. Jennifer Aniston
    38. Bea Arthur
    37. George Clooney
    36. Diahann Carroll
    35. Michael J. Fox
    34. Bob Barker
    33. Ellen DeGeneres
    32. Henry Winkler
    31. Sarah Jessica Parker
    30. Alan Alda
    29. John Ritter
    28. Howard Cosell
    27. Regis Philbin
    26. Farrah Fawcett
    25. Heather Locklear
    24. Michael Landon
    23. Barbara Walters
    22. Milton Berle
    21. Kermit
    20. Carroll O'Connor
    19. Andy Griffith
    18. William Shatner
    17. Bob Newhart
    16. David Letterman
    15. "Not Ready for Primetime Players"
    14. Ed Sullivan
    13. Jackie Gleason
    12. Dick Van Dyke
    11. Roseanne
    10. Dick Clark
    9. Homer Simpson
    8. Jerry Seinfeld
    7. Mary Tyler Moore
    6. Carol Burnett
    5. Walter Cronkite
    4. Bill Cosby
    3. Oprah Winfrey
    2. Lucille Ball
    1. Johnny Carson

Calista Flockhart???? Sarah Jessica Parker?????Heather Locklear???? Yeah there are some on this list are definitely icons but who the hell decided some of the others? Did they know what "icon" meant? Let's see Dean Martin spent from 1965 until 1984 (or so) on TV and before that with specials and the Colgate Comedy Hour with Jerry Lewis in the mid 50's….Bing Crosby and Bob Hope had countless specials over the years. I still can't think of Christmas television without thinking of either of them. How does Sarah Michelle Geller make the list and not Ron Howard?!?!? Two decades with two iconic characters?!?!? Simon Cowell and Jimmy Smits but they don't have Don Knotts? They have George Clooney for his 2 or 3 seasons of ER and they don't have Jerry Mathers or Paul Lynde? They have Ellen Degeneress but not Merv Griffin?! There are some good ones and they at least did make Johnny Carson #1 but over all this list is terrible. Hell the robot from Lost In Space deserves a spot over Roseanne

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Top 50 TV Icons

I don't see Kelsey Grammar or James Arness who hold the record for the longest running characters on prime time television.

Seems to be 50 people you can see on TV Land.

No Ed O'Neil as Al Bundy = bad list
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Andy Griffith is only two spots higher than a frog????
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Andy Griffith is only two spots higher than a frog????
    A frog puppet.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Heather Locklear is a TV icon for sure.

She was on Dynasty and TJ Hooker at the same time.

Melrose Place? 'nuff said.

that's the stuff of legends.
    School's out. What did you expect?

No Ted Danson? 'Nuf said.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Good call on Grammar, Arnes and Danson. I'm kinda surprised Flip Wilson made the list. The guy had one successful show and disappeared. Half the people on this board probably don't even know who he is.

I'm also surprised by the inclusion of Howard Cosell. If your just doing "entertainment", fine, it is TV Land/Entertainment Weekly after all. But how do you include Coselll and not Bob Costas, Al Michaels, Keith Jackson, Pat Summerall, John Madden or Joe Garagiola? Those guys have been in people's living rooms for years.

And Cronkite opens up the possibility of Rather/Brokaw/Jennings/Wallace over such piffles as Flockhart, Gellar.

The Fonz is ranked too low.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Andy Griffith,Carol O'Connor and Alan Alda should be top ten. That they are not makes this a very flawed poll. I'm sorry but Oprah is not an icon. A nuisance maybe but not an icon. They got the top two correct but after that it is very flawed.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Zoinks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Good call on Grammar, Arnes and Danson. I'm kinda surprised Flip Wilson made the list. The guy had one successful show and disappeared. Half the people on this board probably don't even know who he is.

I'm also surprised by the inclusion of Howard Cosell. If your just doing "entertainment", fine, it is TV Land/Entertainment Weekly after all. But how do you include Coselll and not Bob Costas, Al Michaels, Keith Jackson, Pat Summerall, John Madden or Joe Garagiola? Those guys have been in people's living rooms for years.

And Cronkite opens up the possibility of Rather/Brokaw/Jennings/Wallace over such piffles as Flockhart, Gellar.
    I'm not too surprised at Cosell. Back in 60s & 70s he was sports to most people. All of the impersonators did him, he did the Ali boxing matches on top of everything else. He was pretty huge in his day.

Henry Winkler and Roseanne should switch spots.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Heather Locklear is a TV icon for sure.

She was on Dynasty and TJ Hooker at the same time.

Melrose Place? 'nuff said.

that's the stuff of legends.
    She was on "Hannah Montana" the other night as a potential Billy Ray Cyrus beau.

She's still got it.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Boy I didn't read past #49
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by minus5 View Post
    I'm not too surprised at Cosell. Back in 60s & 70s he was sports to most people. All of the impersonators did him, he did the Ali boxing matches on top of everything else. He was pretty huge in his day.
    I understand that. I'm not saying everyone I listed should have made it but surely Keith Jackson, who is college football, is more of an icon than Ellen Degeners or Sarah Jessica Parker. And Mike Wallace? How do you leave him off?

Even though 2/3 of the list is men, I'm guessing that more women than men voted. You know many dudes who read Entertainment Weekly?

Turn Off Ads?