Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 426

Thread: BCS 2007 Discussion Thread

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: BCS 2007 Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    It'd be no different than playing someone like Miami in the Orange Bowl or UCLA or USC in the Rose Bowl. It's always a road game for the north teams.
    Duck fans will travel, but it would still be 70/30 LSU. But I think LSU will lose before they get there.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: BCS 2007 Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    But if Oregon plays LSU in the BCS championship game, it's going to be in New Orleans. It's nominally a neutral site but it's akin to playing tOSU in Cincinnati or Columbus.

    So LSU should be ranked higher because of that? That's all I was saying. I think if they played on a neutral site, I believe Oregon would win. I think they're a better team. I'm aware the BCS title game will be in LA, creating a home game for LSU and that will play a huge factor in who's favored and who wins. But that should have ZERO impact on the rankings.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  4. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Milford, Clifton
    Posts
    1,585

    Re: BCS 2007 Discussion Thread

    If at the beginning of the year I told you UC could be in a BCS bowl and 10-2 if they beat WVU and Syracuse at the end of the year, what would you say to me?
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

  5. #19
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,742

    Re: BCS 2007 Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Duck fans will travel, but it would still be 70/30 LSU. But I think LSU will lose before they get there.
    This place will go nuts if Oregon gets to the BCS title game.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  6. #20
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,344

    Re: BCS 2007 Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    So LSU should be ranked higher because of that? That's all I was saying. I think if they played on a neutral site, I believe Oregon would win. I think they're a better team. I'm aware the BCS title game will be in LA, creating a home game for LSU and that will play a huge factor in who's favored and who wins. But that should have ZERO impact on the rankings.

    Where in the world did you get that from? All I was doing was responding to what you said about Oregon beating LSU at a neutral site. The only way it's going to happen is if both teams stay where they are and end up playing in New Orleans which is ostensibly neutral but it really isn't. I didn't say a word about the ratings which are irrelevant if both teams end up 1 & 2. It won't matter who is 1 and who is 2.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  7. #21
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: BCS 2007 Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Where in the world did you get that from? All I was doing was responding to what you said about Oregon beating LSU at a neutral site. The only way it's going to happen is if both teams stay where they are and end up playing in New Orleans which is ostensibly neutral but it really isn't. I didn't say a word about the ratings which are irrelevant if both teams end up 1 & 2. It won't matter who is 1 and who is 2.

    My original message was giving my rationale for why I thought Oregon was better (if they played on a neutral site). I was talking solely for the purposes of ranking. So when you responded with a "but they'll be playing in LA" I wasn't sure if you meant that should factor in or not.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  8. #22
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,344

    Re: BCS 2007 Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    My original message was giving my rationale for why I thought Oregon was better (if they played on a neutral site). I was talking solely for the purposes of ranking. So when you responded with a "but they'll be playing in LA" I wasn't sure if you meant that should factor in or not.

    Of course it shouldn't factor into the rankings. The rankings are irrelevant if both teams are 1 & 2. But, if they do play each other this season, it's going to be in the Superdome and that isn't a neutral site. If Oregon can go in there and beat them, there will be no doubt who is the better team. If LSU wins, there will be people that say that they won cause it was a quasi-home game for them. It's a bit unfair to LSU to say that but I'm sure they won't care.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  9. #23
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: BCS 2007 Discussion Thread

    Well, it has to be played somewhere.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  10. #24
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,602

    Re: BCS 2007 Discussion Thread

    Ohio State travels so well that the same can be said of them in whatever bowl game they go to.

  11. #25
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: BCS 2007 Discussion Thread

    Judging from the past, there is no way Oregon will be picked to play in the BCS national championship. 2001, undeserving Nebraska is picked over Oregon. Nebraska gets crushed. 2003, Oklahoma is picked over USC. USC wins by two touchdowns over Michigan while OK gets beat handily. 2005 - OK is picked over Auburn. OK loses in a total blowout. The only way Oregon will be allowed to play in the NC is if LSU loses.

  12. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: BCS 2007 Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    But, if they do play each other this season, it's going to be in the Superdome and that isn't a neutral site.
    I have to disagree. LSU has already played a road game this season in the Superdome so it certainly is not their field. The school is in Baton Rouge, not New Orleans. If Florida was playing in the Orange Bowl it isn't a home game for them.

    Is it in their backyard? Obviously. But they don't control the tickets and its not like many tickets for something like that go to local residents anyway.

  13. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: BCS 2007 Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    I have to disagree. LSU has already played a road game this season in the Superdome so it certainly is not their field. The school is in Baton Rouge, not New Orleans. If Florida was playing in the Orange Bowl it isn't a home game for them.

    Is it in their backyard? Obviously. But they don't control the tickets and its not like many tickets for something like that go to local residents anyway.
    Are you serious right now?
    The majority of tickets that aren't alloted to the schools would go to LSU fans no matter who they play. It is very expensive to go to a BCS game let alone the NC game. When you cut out a plane ticket and possibly a hotel stay you're going to have a very friendly LSU crowd.

    Florida is probably going to play in a bowl game in Orlando or Tampa. I bet the crowd is pretty Gator friendly despite it not being a "home game".

  14. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: BCS 2007 Discussion Thread

    Yup, and let me guess, if Michigan and Oregon play in the Sugar Bowl nobody will show because the game is so far away and it is too hard to get plane tickets and hotels rooms. I suppose the crowd will be there but will be completely neutral?

    Ohio State and Miami managed to fill the Fiesta Bowl a few years back or were those all Arizona and ASU fans?

    Who was sitting in all the seats at the Oragne Bowl when OU and USC played? Miami fans?

    I don't deny that LSU fans will have an easier time to make arrangements. All they need to do is a get a ticket and they don't need travel plans. But this is a big game and most of these schools have hundreds of thousands of fans, many of whom ARE willing to throw down the cash for plane tickets, hotel rooms and everything else. It is the MAIN reason these bowl games have survied, continued to grow and spawned more bowl games. Fans travel.

  15. #29
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,662

    Re: BCS 2007 Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    Yup, and let me guess, if Michigan and Oregon play in the Sugar Bowl nobody will show because the game is so far away and it is too hard to get plane tickets and hotels rooms. I suppose the crowd will be there but will be completely neutral?
    I doubt you'll see that matchup after what Oregon did to Michigan earlier in the season.

    I can see Orgeon getting squeezed out fo the title game if LSU stays undefeated and Kansas wins out. Kansas should have no problem with Iowa State; but after that it's Missouri and then Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship. Those two teams are #5 and #4 respectively in the BCS.

    Oregon has games against three unranked opponents in Arizona, UCLA, and Oregon State.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  16. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: BCS 2007 Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I doubt you'll see that matchup after what Oregon did to Michigan earlier in the season.
    I was just giving an example of two teams that are a good distance from New Orleans that would fill the Dome with their folks if they were to play in that game. It wouldn't be Oregon and Michigan in front of a bunch of LSU people. Oregon and Michigan would fill the place using as many tickets as they could get their hands on.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25