Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: BCS 2007 Discussion Thread

Re: BCS 2007 Discussion Thread

My wife is from Eugene and I'm hoping to be able to live there once I'm out of the military. Hopefully, I can find a decent paying job there. Go Ducks!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    Yup, and let me guess, if Michigan and Oregon play in the Sugar Bowl nobody will show because the game is so far away and it is too hard to get plane tickets and hotels rooms. I suppose the crowd will be there but will be completely neutral?

Ohio State and Miami managed to fill the Fiesta Bowl a few years back or were those all Arizona and ASU fans?

Who was sitting in all the seats at the Oragne Bowl when OU and USC played? Miami fans?

I don't deny that LSU fans will have an easier time to make arrangements. All they need to do is a get a ticket and they don't need travel plans. But this is a big game and most of these schools have hundreds of thousands of fans, many of whom ARE willing to throw down the cash for plane tickets, hotel rooms and everything else. It is the MAIN reason these bowl games have survied, continued to grow and spawned more bowl games. Fans travel.
    If you have two teams that aren't close and you are at a truely nutural site than the crowd will be much closer to 50/50. When it is less than 200 miles from one campus you are going to have a crowd much closer to 70/30 assuming the fan bases are roughly equal.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    If you have two teams that aren't close and you are at a truely nutural site than the crowd will be much closer to 50/50. When it is less than 200 miles from one campus you are going to have a crowd much closer to 70/30 assuming the fan bases are roughly equal.

And it's not only playing in front of a partisan crowd. It's sleeping in your own bed at night rather than sleeping in a hotel. It's practicing at your own place rather than someone else's. It's not traveling 2 time zones to playthe game. It's eating food you're used to rather than eating something you're not used to. It's being with your family and friends rather than with just your teammates and coaches.

Of course none of these obstacles are insurmountable. USC lost to Texas in the Rose Bowl a few years ago, Miami has tasted defeat in the Orange Bowl and Dolphins Stadium. But let's not pretend those are neutral sites.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Players at LSU aren't going to be sleeping in their own beds, they are going to be in a hotel just like whoever they are playing. This is a common practice. The meals are all structured and no different than the meals you would get on the road or during any team meal. Its not like whoever goes to down to New Orleans is only going to be fed jumbalaya.

LSU is not going to be strolling around campus, hanging with friends and family. They are going to be holed up at their hotel eating what is put in front of them and watching video and partaking in meetings. No they don't have to travel (as far). But they still have to pack, get things in order and prepare for the game. Having the game in their home state makes for more distractions, not less.

I don't see how you can call it a home game. A home game is easy to define. It is played in your stadium in front of your crowd, not a 60-40 crowd or whatever other number you guys what to throw a guess at (which is all you are doing). The game is played on a neutral field that just happens to also be in Louisiana. It is nowhere near the advantage that is being played off here.

Players at LSU aren't going to be sleeping in their own beds, they are going to be in a hotel just like whoever they are playing. This is a common practice. The meals are all structured and no different than the meals you would get on the road or during any team meal. Its not like whoever goes to down to New Orleans is only going to be fed jumbalaya.

LSU is not going to be strolling around campus, hanging with friends and family. They are going to be holed up at their hotel eating what is put in front of them and watching video and partaking in meetings. No they don't have to travel (as far). But they still have to pack, get things in order and prepare for the game. Having the game in their home state makes for more distractions, not less.

I don't see how you can call it a home game. A home game is easy to define. It is played in your stadium in front of your crowd, not a 60-40 crowd or whatever other number you guys what to throw a guess at (which is all you are doing). The game is played on a neutral field that just happens to also be in Louisiana. It is nowhere near the advantage that is being played off here.

And you know all this for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I doubt you'll see that matchup after what Oregon did to Michigan earlier in the season.

I can see Orgeon getting squeezed out fo the title game if LSU stays undefeated and Kansas wins out. Kansas should have no problem with Iowa State; but after that it's Missouri and then Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship. Those two teams are #5 and #4 respectively in the BCS.

Oregon has games against three unranked opponents in Arizona, UCLA, and Oregon State.
    Even after Kansas plays Missouri and overrated Oklahoma, there schedule still won't be as tough as Oregon's was this year. Oregon played at Michigan which is never an easy game, plus they played top 5 ASU, then #6 Cal (back when Longshore was fully healthy and they were actually good), and #11 ranked USC. Plus Houston and Fresno State are much better OOC opponents than the crap teams Kansas played.

Kansas is a great team but they have played an awful schedule.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 11-13-2007 at 07:06 PM.

MR, are you seriously saying that a game played in New Orleans wouldn't effectively be a home game? Is that the argument you're making?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    And you know all this for sure?
    YES! Division one teams like LSU don't sleep in their own beds the night before they play an actual home game. They go to a hotel. Have you EVER heard of a kid from a big time school getting in trouble the night before a game?

Nope and that is your reason. They are holed up, eating what the coaches feed them and they are watching tape.

YES! Division one teams like LSU don't sleep in their own beds the night before they play an actual home game. They go to a hotel. Have you EVER heard of a kid from a big time school getting in trouble the night before a game?

Nope and that is your reason. They are holed up, eating what the coaches feed them and they are watching tape.

Perhaps they do the night before but not for several days like Oregon would be doing.

Chip, if Oregon is going to be in New Orleans the Thursday before the game, don't you think LSU will be in New Orleans too? And they aren't going to commute back and forth. They will have media responsibilities that begin at the same time as Oregon. Both teams will check into hotels the same day, I bet. Maybe not but I hardly think that will have any outcome on the game. The night before both teams will in hotels.
    Last edited by MaineRed; 11-13-2007 at 07:40 PM.

Chip, if Oregon is going to be in New Orleans the Thursday before the game, don't you think LSU will be in New Orleans too? And they aren't going to commute back and forth. They will have media responsibilities that begin at the same time as Oregon. Both teams will check into hotels the same day, I bet. Maybe not but I hardly think that will have any outcome on the game. The night before both teams will in hotels.
    That's fantastic, but if you seriously think that LSU wouldn't have an advantage playing in New Orleans than I really don't know what to say.

Anyone catch the SuperBowl a couple years back when the Steelers fans flooded Detroit? Not quite so much walk up traffic from the folks from Seattle.

Each school gets an equal allotment but the ticket brokers, scalpers etc get the lionshare of the total. Those tickets almost inevetibly end up in the hands of fans who's team is geographically closer to the event.

Last years Sugar Bowl was LSU vs ND. Their teams demise notwithstanding, nobody out travels the Domers. The crowd was heavy in favor of the locals.

Pretending USC doesn't have an advantage playing in the Rose Bowl, LSU doesn't have an advantage playing in the Superdome or that OSU wouldn't have an advantage playing a Bowl game in Cleveland is just silly.

No matter where it's at they'll probably be plenty of Cub fans!
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    That's fantastic, but if you seriously think that LSU wouldn't have an advantage playing in New Orleans than I really don't know what to say.
    An advantage? I haven't exactly said that. I have questioned certain aspects of that advantage but "advantage" as a whole, I don't believe I have said that.

I disagreed with Chip's take that it is a home game for LSU if they get there. I'm a Syracuse basketball fan and I can't imagine callling a game outside of the Carrier Dome, a home game. A game in their backyard, in their state or even region? Sure. But it is not their home. It is not their locker room. Nothing is the same except the state the game will be in.

I'm sure the crowd would be bigger depending on the opponent. But that would be the case if the game was in Atlanta and nobody could call that a home game. An advantage? Perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    Anyone catch the SuperBowl a couple years back when the Steelers fans flooded Detroit? Not quite so much walk up traffic from the folks from Seattle.
    Pretty bad example if you ask me. Do you really think this would have been the same if the Cowboys were representing the NFL instead of a Seattle team that nobody is a fan of?

Seattle vs. Pittsburgh in terms of number of loyal fans is a blowout in favor of the Steelers. Steeler fans probably buy Super Bowl tickets before the season starts just in case.

And NFL teams aren't given 30,000 tickets to hand out to their fans/boosters.

The ole apples/oranges argument gets played quite a bit on this board but I have to use it again.

Turn Off Ads?