Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: BCS 2007 Discussion Thread

Re: BCS 2007 Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by FIRELEFT View Post
    What happens when LSU gets beat by Arkansas.(it's my dream, don't wake me up yet)
    A BCS disaster.

Or a Highlander-style Big 12 face off for a single spot in the championship game.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    But why? What has LSU done to show they are the #1 team in the nation? Right now the only team that has a legit claim to be in the championship game if they win out is Kansas. Other than that no one is more deserving than anyone else. The only reason LSU is #1 is because they were ranked there at the start of the season.
    * Of all the teams in the country with one loss or less LSU is the only team that has wins over two top 12 BCS teams.

* They have the most impressive OOC win in the land.

* They are 5-1 vs. the BCS top 30. Kansas is 0-0. Cincinnati and Oklahoma are the only teams to be undefeateed vs. the top 30 with more than one win and both are only 2-0. 5-1 is pretty impressive. Florida and Mississippi State are the only teams to play that many games aginst the Top 30.

This seems like more than enough reasons to have LSU number one right now. Maybe Kansas moves ahead of them IF they win the those two big games but nobody else can make the claims LSU can for a top spot.

This is why I hate "polls". We can speculate and evaluate 'til we're blue in the face. But until they get on the field But if you've got 5 teams from BCS conferences with one loss, how can we say that selecting the two we think are the best is "getting it right." It's still based opinion. If LSU wins out, then they certainly deserve a shot at the title, based on the current system. But that system is so flawed. Because ultimately, all they did was go out and beat everyone on their schedule but one team. That would be the same thing other teams could say as well. All you can do is go out and play who's on your schedule. I hate the idea of trying to subjectively decide who's most "deserving." Because who is the best and who's most deserving might not always be the same thing.

No matter how strongly we feel like LSU is most deserving, this whole thing is a mess. And while the Big 12 who comes through with only 1 loss can also claime to be deserving, they're no more suited to play in the title game than OSU. And OSU wouldn't be any more deserving that the Big 12 team either. What a freaking mess. I hate the BCS with about as much passion as I can hate anything related to sports.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Ohio State lost to Illinois, and West Virginia lost to South Florida. Oklahoma has the worst loss. I would say that Illinois is probably better than South Florida at this juncture.
    Are you saying USF has a better body of work than Illinois or are you saying that Illinois is a better football team right now?

This particular computer ranking has USF ahead of Illinois:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagar...terstitialskip

USF has road wins at WVU and Auburn. There 3 losses are vs. the better teams in what USAToday says is the second best conference in the country.

It is close. Close enough that you need to dig deeper to decide between a one loss Ohio State team and a one loss WVU team. I don't think it is fair to say, "Illinois is a better team" than South Florida. Its pretty easy to say they are better "at this juncture" when they just beat the number one team last week. But those first ten Illinois played weren't exibition games. They've lost 3 and have some nice wins. USF has lost 3 games and has some nice wins. The SOS is almost identical. 16 vs. 20.

MWM, you seem to be implying that all wins are equal. Or am I wrong? You are constantly mentioning teams that "beat everyone on their schedule". Some schedules are better than others. And while John Smith, the punter on some undefeated team shouldn't be penalized when they don't lose a game why should the school that wants to make a cupcake schedule be rewarded over a team that lost but played a much tougher schedule. And to be honest in the BCS you lose points when you lose. There is a deductor for losses. So Kansas IS being rewarded for playing nobody, THUS FAR.

BTW, Northern Iowa, a division one team is also unbeaten at 10-0. Why are they less deserving than Kansas? They've done what has been asked of themselves, won every game. Same with Hawaii. But nobody that I have seen has suggested that Hawaii or Norther Iowa is more deserving than LSU. Why not? They are unbeaten? If we aren't going to be subjective about KU's schedule or anyone else's, why are we with teams like Northern Iowa?

Unless there is a play-off there has to be some system to get two top teams. I really don't think a bunch of one loss teams is a disaster. It is why we have the BCS and far from rare. People act surprised about it which always surprises me. It is the fabric of college football. Happens years after year. But most people subjectively buy into what the BCS has told them each year.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    A BCS disaster.

Or a Highlander-style Big 12 face off for a single spot in the championship game.
    I hope it does happen. Not just because I'm a Hog fan, maybe it would force a hand in some sort of playoff. I don't care if it's a plus one or what, just something.

South Florida at this point in the season is in full collapse. They caught Auburn sleeping, and White was out for much of the South Florida game, and WVU still came back. Today Illinois is the better team, a month ago South Florida was.

Computers and polls have always had a problem with adjusting for current performance. I call it the "Michigan State effect", how do you weigh the value of a team when it is hitting on all cylinders, versus when it is in full collapse. To a certain extent you can say the same thing about USC. They have been decimated by injuries, and while still playing good football, are not close to the quality of team that started the season. How do you quantify team strength as it applies to when a team plays another team? If Dixon is out, Oregon may lose two more games. Does that mean that when they beat Michigan they were a four loss team? No, but the computers will say it does.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

USF has lost 3 in a row and I guess it is easy to call that a full collapse but I don't think it is that easy. They lost @ Rutgers by 3. They lost @ UConn by 7 and then lost to Cincy by 5. Three losses by 15 points to teams that are a combined 22-8 playing in the second ranked conference (USA Today) in the country. Two of those team still have a shot to go to the BCS.

Your comparison was more Ohio State and WVU and which team had the worse loss. USF played WVU before the so called "free fall" began. They were as high as number two in the country at that time.

If you don't want Michigan to lose points when a Dixon less Oregon team loses, why should WVU suffer because USF has gone into a freefall a month and a half later?

Is Illinois better than USF? Who the hell knows. But there body of work is just as impressive as that of the Illini. Pretty evenly matched. If you want to just talk about today that is fine but WVU didn't lose to USF today, it was six weeks ago. If they don't get credit for getting to number 2, how do we give credit to the Illini for beating number one. LSU is number one, not Ohio State.

I agree Michigan should not be penalized for losing to a lesser team when Oregon starts to fail without Dixon but that is sports. All these teams have been hit with injuries. LSU's best defender and possible first pick in the draft has been all banged up this season but since he doesn't touch the ball nobody wants to consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    USF has lost 3 in a row and I guess it is easy to call that a full collapse but I don't think it is that easy. They lost @ Rutgers by 3. They lost @ UConn by 7 and then lost to Cincy by 5. Three losses by 15 points to teams that are a combined 22-8 playing in the second ranked conference (USA Today) in the country. Two of those team still have a shot to go to the BCS.

Your comparison was more Ohio State and WVU and which team had the worse loss. USF played WVU before the so called "free fall" began. They were as high as number two in the country at that time.

If you don't want Michigan to lose points when a Dixon less Oregon team loses, why should WVU suffer because USF has gone into a freefall a month and a half later?

Is Illinois better than USF? Who the hell knows. But there body of work is just as impressive as that of the Illini. Pretty evenly matched. If you want to just talk about today that is fine but WVU didn't lose to USF today, it was six weeks ago. If they don't get credit for getting to number 2, how do we give credit to the Illini for beating number one. LSU is number one, not Ohio State.

I agree Michigan should not be penalized for losing to a lesser team when Oregon starts to fail without Dixon but that is sports. All these teams have been hit with injuries. LSU's best defender and possible first pick in the draft has been all banged up this season but since he doesn't touch the ball nobody wants to consider it.
    Illinois is better today than South Florida. My eyes tell me that. South Florida beat an Auburn team that was a little young and way to overconfident. They beat WVU in much the same fashion that we just say Arizona beat Oregon. I never said it was a difference of night and day. I said "probably". You have gotten a little too touchy Maine, slow down before you try painting people into a corner.

My point is that the BCS is very flawed and even though LSU is deservedly the #1, the battle for number two is very ugly. No matter how you argue it, unless Kansas wins out, it will be ugly.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Even though Kansas has been beating teams with their offense, should they beat MIZZOU and OU in consecutive weeks, they'll have gone undefeated and would definitely be a legitimate team. Would I wanna see Kansas in the NC? Honestly no, but they'll have earned the spot.

Should Hawaii also go undefeated (and I think they will) do they deserve to get into a BCS game? I really don't think so. The WAC is a horrible football conference, and Hawaii shouldn't be rewarded with a BCS bid for going undefeated in a bad conference, with an even worse non-conference schedule. That being said, Colt Brennan is fun to watch. That kid can flat throw, and I honestly see him making a name for himself in the NFL probably in 3-4 years. I don't think he'd make an immediate impact, but should he find himself in the right situation with a good O line, and some good weapons, Brennan will easily be an above-average NFL QB.

As for LSU... are they really the best team in the country? They are too inconsistent for my tastes, but at the same time, they keep finding themselves at or near the top of the BCS standings. I thought tOSU was one of the better teams in the nation, but their D couldn't figure out The Juice, and their offense doesn't know how to make comebacks due to its conservative nature. I still think tOSU will get a BCS bid, should they be able to get by "that team from up North".

There really just aren't many exciting teams this year. Too much parity. I guess that's a good thing for the BCS, since their system will "work" if you have a bunch of 1 loss teams.

Here are my thoughts

-LSU is ranekd #1 right now because they were ranked #1 at the begining of the season. Most of this was due to the victory last year over ND.

-Va Tech has not impressed at all this season. You can ask yourself whats the difference between any 2 loss BCS team in the country? I find it ironic that BC beat VT at home, same conference, same record, yet is ranked lower.

-You want to talk about OCC wins, what about Appy St. They probably had the most impressive win this year. I don't see how LSU's win over VT is any better that Appy St or Oregon.

-The BCS title game could be WVU vs Kansas and that would be an outright travesty in my opinion.

-Too much of this season has been based upon perception rather than reality. Is LSU the best 1 loss team in the nation? maybe, however LSU could very easily be the best 3 loss team in the nation.

The Big 12 is weak without Oklahoma and Texas.

I just don't get the so and so has taken care of business so they should go comments while at the same time drawing a line between unbeaten teams. All the while complaining about the subjectivity in the rankings.

People want an unbeaten to go because they are unbeaten but don't want another unbeaten because they haven't played anyone. When you point out that number 2 hasn't played anyone it is OK because they have won all their games. Go back to Hawaii and they haven't played anyone. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!

People want to give Kansas early credit for their possible win over OU. Well Hawaii still has Boise, a team that beat OU last season in a bowl game. Boise is 9-1 this season.

Easy to say Mizzou is better than Boise. Mizzou is ranked higher and they play in the Big 12 so that makes them better I guess. Thankfully nobody told Boise this last year when they were underdogs to OU in Tempe.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Here are my thoughts

-LSU is ranekd #1 right now because they were ranked #1 at the begining of the season. Most of this was due to the victory last year over ND.

-Va Tech has not impressed at all this season. You can ask yourself whats the difference between any 2 loss BCS team in the country? I find it ironic that BC beat VT at home, same conference, same record, yet is ranked lower.

-You want to talk about OCC wins, what about Appy St. They probably had the most impressive win this year. I don't see how LSU's win over VT is any better that Appy St or Oregon.
    Boston College lost to Maryland and Florida State. Teams with 9 losses combined. Va Tech lost to BC and LSU, teams with 3 losses combined. Head to head should count but not more than the rest.

If you want to call App State beating Michigan the best OOC win of the season, fine, I'll agree. I was talking about BCS teams but that is fine.

As for Oregon over Michigan that was a good win but Va Tech is ranked higher than Michigan in the polls, the BCS and the computers.

Nobody can claim they have beaten an OOC opponent ranked as high as Virginia Tech. You may not be impressed with Tech but you can't say you are impressed with any team that a high ranked team has beaten OOC. In a year of unimpressive OOC games LSU beat the team with the best ranking.

Be careful, Boise got clipped by Washington. Everybody thought Washington was going to be decent, but they have not been very good at all. Boise is not the same team that played Oklahoma last year, that team had a senior QB and some other experienced seniors that have moved on.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I feel a bit bad that Hawaii can't get anyone to play them. Its not completely their fault their schedule is so light. It sounds to me like they worked hard to get some quaility opponents on the schedule this season, knowing they would have a quality team.

They made inquiries with Oregon State, Washington State University, Mississippi State, Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and others for the 2007 schedule. For various reasons none of them made their way onto Hawaii's schedule. Hawaii also worked with ESPN to try and set up a game with USC this season, didn't work out either.

GL

Turn Off Ads?