Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What if we stand still?

Re: What if we stand still?

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    I hate to admit it, but I never thought about just letting Dunn and Griffey walk and just keeping Hamilton, bringing up Bruce, and sticking Hopper in the other spot and letting him leadoff. Then you have a blossoming infield of Votto, Phillips, Gonzalez/Keppinger and EE. Other than Phillips, you're not paying that much for any position player and you can dump money into starting pitching.

Interesting idea. If only they do it.
    Yeah, and you're talking about a completely home-grown group of starting position players (w/ the exception of Gonzalez - I consider Hamilton & Phillips "our" prospects) ... that would be pretty neat!

I know Dunn is home grown too, but I really LOVE Hamilton and I think his production next year will convince us that Dunn's too expensive and expendable and.. as a plus, Hammy would gives us an excellent glove for a LFer!!!
    Last edited by hippie07; 11-12-2007 at 06:40 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Standing semi-pat is worth considering, especially if what is needed to close a deal costs too dearly. Who would another team want for a #1? For that matter, what would they want for a #2-#4? (We already have #5's). Point being, the price could be lop-sided, not in the Reds favor.

I have to disagree with whoever it was said we didn't have a lot of prospects, I think this franchise is on the verge of being, "loaded". It is beginning to look like a bright Sun is rising in the very near future, that may well shine for several years.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

"...If we stand still" Say Hello again to 5th place.

I think one thing to remember is that many of our pitchers are young and have a good chance to improve in 2008. I think both Belisle and Bailey will have much better years in 2008, and Cueto and Maloney will have impressive debuts next year. Coutlangas, Mcbeth, and Salmon will be much better, and Hamilton, Votto and Encarcion will also have much better years. We may not make many off-season moves, but it is entirely possible we will still be a much improved team next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vada Pinson Fan View Post
    "...If we stand still" Say Hello again to 5th place.
    Stand still, finish in 5th next year, finish 1st the year after.

OR

Make desparation moves, finish 3rd next year, finish 6th the year after.

Point - If the right move isn't there...yes, stand still.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

OR

I vote for Krivsky working his magic and getting a couple of pitchers who have been given up on, like he did with Philips and Hamilton..for about the same price as Philips and Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

OR

there is no reason for them to HAVE to make a desperation move. You can't tell me there is no one in free agency that would help this team.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    there is no reason for them to HAVE to make a desperation move. You can't tell me there is no one in free agency that would help this team.
    Oh there is, I just don't know if we can afford to pay them. The issue I have with the FA's this year is that the "affordable" are not much better than what we already have.

Quote Originally Posted by 5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM View Post
    Oh there is, I just don't know if we can afford to pay them. The issue I have with the FA's this year is that the "affordable" are not much better than what we already have.
    We don't have to pay a thing. Don't forget the reds are a business owned by Mr.Castellini who has already stated his intentions to "Bring championship baseball back to Cincinnati." I haven't seen the reds yearly income statement but the game of baseball has never experienced economic success like its experiencing now. So as a paying customer isn't it time you started to demand more? How is it that a franchise that hasn't reached the postseason (which is the mark of success in this business?) in over a decade be a profitable organization? Why should I pay money to continually be letdown by the product I'm paying for and on top of that be bombarded by advertisements?
    Some of you will point out to previous ownership. Marge Schott wrecked the franchise you say.. maybe, but what about the Marlins, and D-Backs? 3 World Series titles combined since the reds last reached the postseason. Not to mention another appearance by the Rockies this season. They point out a smaller market size, while ignoring success of other similar markets. The new gm, replaces veteran relievers Kent Mercker and Chris Hammond with veteran lefties Mike Stanton, Rheal Cormier and Eddie Guardado. Making moves for the sake of making moves isn't a good plan for success (just ask Jerry Narron), but making business moves small or major to improve your product should always be the goal, and another year of doing nothing certainly isn't that. It's a sad day if we accept the no move is better than a bad move mantra and another off-season goes by with reds fans outside looking in. So how did we get to the point were this is tolerated?

The answer I think is this: Like most who post here, we are the great baseball consumer. My name is Summerplight and I'm a reds fan. Like most I was hooked when I was young, it all started out innocent enough with a few summer nights of hot dogs and nosebleeds. Back then I was just one of the many voices that could be heard mimicking the PA announcer as BAAARRRRRRY LAAAARRKIIIIN came to the plate. However, like some people do I went awry, instead of hotdog's and soda's, it became hotdogs and beer, no frosty malt for me. Instead of sharing the joy of the 8 year old boy sitting in front of me who has just caught his first and most likely his last home run ball, I bombard the reliever who has just coughed up another game winner. As Danny Graves exits, he shows me just how much he cares with the old number 1, luckily for me it's about as effective as his dead arm, so like any Jason Larue would do, I shake it off. And as for the 8 year old boy this is his introduction to baseball. My instructions to him are simple but stern. THROW IT BACK! Suddenly me and Danny Graves are starting to become the bad guys. He's mad we can't remember his better days and I’m mad he's no longer contributing to mine. Luckily for most of you, the white-knight owner releases Danny and has his ushers show me on my way. But just because we don't always do things the right way doesn't mean we don't have a valid point from time to time. If I took the time to type this and you took the time to read it then it probably means we go beyond casual fan. We are guilty of obsessing way too much over who is going to be the lefty bat off the bench. Our voices are mostly ignored by those who make the decisions, however we do have some influence with the casual fan, and that is the fan base that ownership can't afford to lose. If you can sway these simpletons then you are doing your part to help alleviate all of our pains. How many people talk reds baseball to you? Change their thinking, demand that you endorse a business worth endorsing. End of rant
    Last edited by Orenda; 11-13-2007 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    Look...what I'm saying is of course...FA will be signed, transactions will be made...its the offseason, come on. But, many on here think a significant move needs to be made to show that the Reds are serious about winning. If one can be made that fits the payroll, great...if not...don't make a foolish move just to appease some of the fanbase who are looking for a quick fix rather than work on an organizational overhaul, which I believe is in process.

I suspect that Krivsky might have a busy off-season. He is going into his last year as GM, and I expect he wants to do all he can to bring winning winning baseball back to Cincinnati. Another losing season and Castellini might start the GM carousel again.

Turn Off Ads?