Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Joe Nuxhall Passes Away

Re: Joe Nuxhall Passes Away

I've spent the day at work listening to WLW and reading cincinnati.com and Redszone and other web sites with tributes to Joe. And one thing dawned on me which I think is an amazing tribute to Joe. I don't remember any event in the past 20 years I've been in Cincinnati that has unified the city more than his death has today. This city has argued and been somewhat divided on topics like race, crime, the Banks, schools, sports teams, local celebrities. But no matter if you're black or white, rich or poor, local or transplated, everyone in Cincinnati has shared good words and tears for Joe today...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pics from News Conference on the passing of Joe Nuxhall - Friday, November 16, 20

there are a couple reasons john allen may have been crying in that picture.

Re: Pics from News Conference on the passing of Joe Nuxhall - Friday, November 16, 20

Roby, I dont get it, Harang and Arroyo, as in thats all they got?

Would the Reds think about retiring Nuxhall's uniform number? Which one 39 or 41

When I lived in Centerville, OH from 1977 through 1985, I always listened to Marty and Joe. For a young grade schooler, they were the highlight of my day from April through October. Joe...you may be gone, but your voice and the memories you created for me and many others will long remain.

My father-in-law is a big Reds fan, so I've come to appreciate Marty and Joe by proxy. It was a great team, and I know Joe will be sorely missed.

Rest in peace Joe you were by all accounts a good man.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I never met him, never even saw him play ball but somehow I felt like I knew him. I guess that's a testament to the kind of guy he was.

I don't even know what his number was as a player but I hope the Reds have it on all their jersey's next year as a memorial.

I ran into Joe on a few occasions when I lived in Fairfield; he always had time to chat to total strangers. He was a truly wonderful man who did so much for his community. If the world were full of people like Nuxhall it would be a much better place.

This is a sad day for all Reds fans. Thanks for the childhood memories Ol' Lefthander. Condolences to the Nuxhall family. Rip Joe.

Truly a sad day. When I was really little, I knew who Joe Nuxhall was before I knew who Marty Brennaman was (oddly enough). It almost feels like losing a member of your extended family. I'll really, really miss him.

Reds and 26.2's

I'm 46 years old and grew up in Red's country..I've been in North Carolina for 20 years, but I've listened to Marty and Joe since childhood..

Their bobblehead sits prominently on my desk, and always will..

The man was as much a part of my childhood as anything..all those games on the radio..the BRM..1990..the hitting streak..the frustrating seasons..Joe Nuxall was there to tell me about all of it..

You've got the green light this time, old friend..go ahead and round third and head for home..you made it standing up..

thank you for being a part of my life.

With much love, we wish Joe and his family all the support we can. I know we are all sad and heartbroken over Joe's passing. I think back to all those times I would get my Dad to move the car down the driveway so I could get a better receiption of Joe and Marty doing the games in the 70's and early 80's. WLW is barely received here in Central Illinois, especially in those days, but I would still try to listen to the games. It was an incredible time and Joe's delivery made me love the Reds even more. I loved that Joe was the excited fan and Marty was the straight man. I've had the please to meet Joe three times and every time he was a gentleman and always made my son and me at ease. Whether at Redsfest, The Reds Hall of Fame or Spring Training, Joe was a great person to be around.

You will be missed, you will always be loved and give'em hell on the mound in the big ballyard in the sky. God Bless.

jerseyshorereds

Glad I Had The great privilege to hear him on the net through the years.He had a relaxing way of talking. "easy like sunday morning" Thanks Joe, RIP.

PTI gave a small farewell to the Ol' lefthander on their show tonight.

Turn Off Ads?