Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Random Thoughts

Haunted by walks

Random Thoughts

I can't wait for February ... even February in Syracuse.

Steve Boras should know that the goal of a team is not to be the team that can sign A-Rod, but to be the team that can win the World Series.

The worst part of football is that the most exciting plays are put on hold while the officials sort out the penalty flags and the instant replays, and I wonder if baseball's home runs are going to be the same.

Except that the only question about Adam Dunn's home runs is which state they landed in.

If baseball had a lifetime achievement award, it should be given to Joe Nuxhall then named for him.

I predict the Seattle Royal Sox will defeat the Chicago Astro Brewers in the 2010 World Series, the first of the post-steroids era.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Random Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post

Steve Boras should know that the goal of a team is not to be the team that can sign A-Rod, but to be the team that can win the World Series.

The worst part of football is that the most exciting plays are put on hold while the officials sort out the penalty flags and the instant replays, and I wonder if baseball's home runs are going to be the same.

Except that the only question about Adam Dunn's home runs is which state they landed in.

If baseball had a lifetime achievement award, it should be given to Joe Nuxhall then named for him.

I predict the Seattle Royal Sox will defeat the Chicago Astro Brewers in the 2010 World Series, the first of the post-steroids era.
    Relative of A-Rod's agent, Scott Boras?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Relative of A-Rod's agent, Scott Boras?
    3B for the '64 Reds. I always admired his chin.

Pay attention to the open sky

Also managed the A's and Padres.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Haunted by walks

Oops. That thought was a little too random.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Also managed the A's and Padres.
    First Manager to publically talk about using a computer in game preparation.

In the approaching era of Multi-Team Conglomerates, I wonder if the nation-state will still be a useful term?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    It looks like I was right in the first place. Steve sounds like he'd know this kind of thing, while Scott apparently doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Had a BA in Literature from Univ. of Michigan as well.

I liked this story from wiki

He also had the dubious distinction of getting ejected from a game before the game started. While managing the Padres, Boros had been ejected the night before after a heated argument regarding a home plate call made by umpire Charlie Williams. To Boros's credit, Williams had his back to the plate as Bip Roberts slid across well ahead of a tag, but Williams turned around and called Roberts out, despite not having seen the play at all. The next night, as Boros came out to present the lineup card to the umpire crew (which included Williams at third base), Boros also carried with him a videotape of the botched call from the night before. Williams spotted the tape and once again ejected Boros, this time before Boros could even hand off the lineup card.

Pay attention to the open sky

Williams had his back to the plate as Bip Roberts slid across well ahead of a tag, but Williams turned around and called Roberts out, despite not having seen the play at all.

reminds me of a manager that I had a few years ago, who prided himself on making quick, strong (and often absurd) decisions

he had his back to the plate a lot, too

Pots and Kettles

That looks fun TC...I'm serious
    Go Gators!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Why should he care?

An agent's goal is to get his client the best contract.

An agent's goal should be to get his client what his client wants. If it's the best contract, so be it. If there are other considerations that entail not taking top dollar, then so that as well.

I am guessing A-Rod instructed him to get the best contract, regardless.

Turn Off Ads?