Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Bobby Kielty anyone

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,044

    Bobby Kielty anyone

    Do you think WK will make a run at Kielty. He is pretty cheap, and historically has dominated LH pitching. He had a down year this year, but in the past has been very good against LH's. We need someone that can hit LH like him.

    I hope we make a run at him. He made 2.1 mil this year and was released, then signed a MiL deal with the Sox.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Something clever pahster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Bobby Kielty anyone

    I think it's safe to assume that unless a number of moves are made, the Reds have more than enough outfielders.

  4. #3
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,148

    Re: Bobby Kielty anyone

    He is a former Twin.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,044

    Re: Bobby Kielty anyone

    Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    I think it's safe to assume that unless a number of moves are made, the Reds have more than enough outfielders.
    I think/hope some moves are made. Just because we have a lot of OF'ers, doesn't mean we can't add another if it helps the team. Trade surplus. I would be shocked if Freel isn't traded. That would leave us with Dunn/Ham/Jr./Hopper. I would think Kielty would fit in real well there. Bruce is also in that conversation, but Jr. could certainly be traded too.

    We have to have someone that can hit LH's.

  6. #5
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,898

    Re: Bobby Kielty anyone

    A 30 year old corner OF with no notable offensive skills? Sign me up! In all honesty, Hopper and Keppinger showed significant platoon splits last year and the last thing we need to do is go spend money on a 30 year old platoon corner OF. We already have a surplus. Money isn't the issue, roster spots are.

    You already have 7 guys who arguably are ready for a spot on the 25 man:

    Dunn, Griffey, Hamilton, Freel, Hopper, Bruce, Dickerson. We can trade a few of them and still have good depth.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 11-13-2007 at 12:31 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  7. #6
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,431

    Re: Bobby Kielty anyone

    Personally, I'm willing to give away Freel to make room for Kielty (who I neither particularly like nor dislike). I love watching Freel play, but I think salary hurts the team more than it helps it.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,044

    Re: Bobby Kielty anyone

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    A 30 year old corner OF with no notable offensive skills?
    Hitting lefties is notable considering the fact we have no one that can.

    06: .965 ops vs. LH
    05: .866 ops vs. LH
    04: .830 ops vs. LH
    03: .967 ops vs. LH
    02: .841 ops vs. LH (only year his ops vs. LH was lower than vs. RH)

    All those years above are with over 100 AB's vs. LH pitchers, this year he was low at 50 AB's, .633 ops. That aint good.

    But you can't deny that the guy hits LH well. You HAVE TO FILL HOLES with your team. One of the major holes is hitting vs. LH'ers. Sure we got some nice OF'ers, but they are all the same with the exception fo Hopper.


    Our OF'ers OPS vs. LH'ers last year:
    Dunn/GrifJ/Ham/Hopp/Freel
    .789/.735/.588/.826/.422

    How can you tell me he isn't needed? Also, Dickerson OPS'd .749 vs. LH in the minor leagues last year.

    We will continue to struggle against LH pitchers for as long as we don't fix it. Jay Bruce probably has nothing to do with anyone but Griffey or Dunn. If they are both on the team, then Bruce probably won't be.

    Trade Freel, and Kielty has room. Freel and Hopper should only have one spot on this roster. Kielty is what the doctor ordered for our ailing LH batting lineup.

  9. #8
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,898

    Re: Bobby Kielty anyone

    I agree that the team would benefit from a bat that could light up lefties, don't get me wrong. However, I don't think that person is going to be taking many at bats away from Junior or Dunn and I don't think Kielty plays a very good CF. That bat needs to be somewhere besides a corner OF so long as Junior and Dunn are here.

    Personally, I'd move Junior, install Bruce in CF and Hamilton in RF. Then you can bring in Kielty to platoon in RF. But sans that, all you'd be doing is taking a roster spot away from one of the guys capable of playing CF.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,044

    Re: Bobby Kielty anyone

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I agree that the team would benefit from a bat that could light up lefties, don't get me wrong. However, I don't think that person is going to be taking many at bats away from Junior or Dunn and I don't think Kielty plays a very good CF. That bat needs to be somewhere besides a corner OF so long as Junior and Dunn are here.

    Personally, I'd move Junior, install Bruce in CF and Hamilton in RF. Then you can bring in Kielty to platoon in RF. But sans that, all you'd be doing is taking a roster spot away from one of the guys capable of playing CF.
    I agree with what you say, but at the same time, he doesn't have to start 50 games. Jr. is def not going to play every day, Dunn could use some more rest, and there are plenty of PH opportunities for him late in games. He could be Hamilton's personal PH'er vs. LH late in games. I would like to give Ham all the opportunity in the world to learn to hit LH's, but sometimes it is ok to PH for him with someone like Kielty.

    I don't know if he can play 1st at all either, but give Votto a day off once every 10-15 games and you get Kielty another start there vs. a LH.

  11. #10
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,567

    Re: Bobby Kielty anyone

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I agree that the team would benefit from a bat that could light up lefties, don't get me wrong. However, I don't think that person is going to be taking many at bats away from Junior or Dunn and I don't think Kielty plays a very good CF. That bat needs to be somewhere besides a corner OF so long as Junior and Dunn are here.
    Personally, I'd be afraid of the guy who was crazy enough to platoon Dunn with Kielty and had the stones to platoon Jr with Kielty.... Basically, after that it wouldn't be Dusty...it would be Mr Baker....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  12. #11
    Mon chou Choo vaticanplum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7,166

    Re: Bobby Kielty anyone

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    He is a former Twin.
    I don't know if this is what you meant, Tom, but I think we need to finally lay to rest on this board the oft-bandied about assertion that Krivsky has a Twins fetish. There are currently all of two former Twins on the Reds' 40-man. One of them is Valentin, who of course was here long before Krivsky, and the other is Castro, who played all of 147 games in a Twins uniform (after he'd already spent five seasons as a Red, mind).

    The Reds have quite a collection of teams from whom they've gathered two players, namely the Pirates, the As, the Mariners, the Yankees, the Blue Jays, the Marlins, the Indians, the Cubs, the Dodgers, and the Devil Rays, plus the Mets and Nationals/Expos, from whom the Reds have three players each. I never hear anyone talking about Krivsky's Red Sox fetish, but the Reds have twice as many former Red Sox as they do former Twins, all of whom -- Arroyo, Stanton, Hatteberg and Gonzalez -- came in on Krivsky's watch.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

  13. #12
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Bobby Kielty anyone

    Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I don't know if this is what you meant, Tom, but I think we need to finally lay to rest on this board the oft-bandied about assertion that Krivsky has a Twins fetish. There are currently all of two former Twins on the Reds' 40-man. One of them is Valentin, who of course was here long before Krivsky, and the other is Castro, who played all of 147 games in a Twins uniform (after he'd already spent five seasons as a Red, mind).

    The Reds have quite a collection of teams from whom they've gathered two players, namely the Pirates, the As, the Mariners, the Yankees, the Blue Jays, the Marlins, the Indians, the Cubs, the Dodgers, and the Devil Rays, plus the Mets and Nationals/Expos, from whom the Reds have three players each. I never hear anyone talking about Krivsky's Red Sox fetish, but the Reds have twice as many former Red Sox as they do former Twins, all of whom -- Arroyo, Stanton, Hatteberg and Gonzalez -- came in on Krivsky's watch.
    Oh Touche'
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  14. #13
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,148

    Re: Bobby Kielty anyone

    Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I don't know if this is what you meant, Tom, but I think we need to finally lay to rest on this board the oft-bandied about assertion that Krivsky has a Twins fetish. There are currently all of two former Twins on the Reds' 40-man. One of them is Valentin, who of course was here long before Krivsky, and the other is Castro, who played all of 147 games in a Twins uniform (after he'd already spent five seasons as a Red, mind).

    The Reds have quite a collection of teams from whom they've gathered two players, namely the Pirates, the As, the Mariners, the Yankees, the Blue Jays, the Marlins, the Indians, the Cubs, the Dodgers, and the Devil Rays, plus the Mets and Nationals/Expos, from whom the Reds have three players each. I never hear anyone talking about Krivsky's Red Sox fetish, but the Reds have twice as many former Red Sox as they do former Twins, all of whom -- Arroyo, Stanton, Hatteberg and Gonzalez -- came in on Krivsky's watch.
    I will usually be one of the first to point out the lack of Twins on the Reds current roster. The former Twin thing is just a running joke that gets less and less true over time but just will likely always be around. It's just ribbing considering Wayne brought in former Twins 'stars' Joe Mays, Eddie Guardado, and Kyle Lohse. If we make fun of Bowden for his Reds love it's just fair to poke fun at Wayne.


    And there's actually 3 former Twins on the 40 man. Alexander Smit came from the Twins organization.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  15. #14
    Mon chou Choo vaticanplum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7,166

    Re: Bobby Kielty anyone

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I will usually be one of the first to point out the lack of Twins on the Reds current roster. The former Twin thing is just a running joke that gets less and less true over time but just will likely always be around. It's just ribbing considering Wayne brought in former Twins 'stars' Joe Mays, Eddie Guardado, and Kyle Lohse. If we make fun of Bowden for his Reds love it's just fair to poke fun at Wayne.
    I know And I knew you were probably aware of the facts as well. I just didn't want it to become urban myth on this board.

    And there's actually 3 former Twins on the 40 man. Alexander Smit came from the Twins organization.
    That I did not know. My metholodolgy in tallying the above was quick and slipshod -- I only counted players who had major league experience with another team (ie. Matt Belisle came from the Braves' organization, but I did not count him on my Braves tally as he made his major league debut with the Reds). Is Smit the Norwegian or Dutch guy?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,044

    Re: Bobby Kielty anyone

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Personally, I'd be afraid of the guy who was crazy enough to platoon Dunn with Kielty and had the stones to platoon Jr with Kielty.... Basically, after that it wouldn't be Dusty...it would be Mr Baker....
    I don't think anyone would think of platooning those two...I hope not at least.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25