Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would you trade Single-A OF Drew Stubbs to Milwaukee for LHP Chris Capuano?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely

58 80.56%
  • No way

13 18.06%
  • Who's Chris Capuano?

1 1.39%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you...Drew Stubbs for Chris Capuano?

Would you...Drew Stubbs for Chris Capuano?

In light of all the debate on the other thread, would you trade Drew Stubbs right now straight up for Chris Capuano?

One giant YES for me...
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would you...Drew Stubbs for Chris Capuano?

Given the configuration of talent in the reds system, I cannot imagine why anybody would say no.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Given the configuration of talent in the reds system, I cannot imagine why anybody would say no.
    My sentiments exactly. Apparently others disagree. For those that do, please explain your thinking.

I would even throw in Ryan Freel in order to get the deal done.
    Last edited by Benihana; 11-13-2007 at 02:59 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

I say no. I didn't realize that Capuano was that young, but I am still not sold on him as a pitcher. He didn't pitch very well this past season and the year before tailed off significantly in the second half of the season. Its not a good sign when in back to back years you struggle in the second half of the season. With his demotion to the pen this past season giving up Stubbs would be too much. I also don't think the reds are ready to give up on Stubbs after a year and a half in their system. I think more than anything they are excited about his finish to the season last year.

I wouldn't, not because I'm high on Stubbs but because I'm low on Capuano. Stubbs may never step on a Major League field, but even if that's true at least he isn't hurting the Major League roster. From what I've seen of Capuano the past year and a half he would hurt the Major League roster. What the team doesn't really need is another 5.00 ERA pitcher, I think we can find those easily enough.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

If you feel this team is ready within the next 2-3 years, yes. You get Capuano for Stubbs.

If you don't think this team is ready within the next 2-3 year window, and you think Stubbs might actually learn the offensive side of the game, then no.

I'm not that convinced that Stubbs will ever learn plate patience/discipline enought to help augment his already low OBP and AVG skillset.

Defensively, the kid is the 2nd coming of Gary Maddox, supposedly.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I'd have no problem with it...

Is this a trick question?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    If you feel this team is ready within the next 2-3 years, yes. You get Capuano for Stubbs.

If you don't think this team is ready within the next 2-3 year window, and you think Stubbs might actually learn the offensive side of the game, then no.

I'm not that convinced that Stubbs will ever learn plate patience/discipline enought to help augment his already low OBP and AVG skillset.

Defensively, the kid is the 2nd coming of Gary Maddox, supposedly.
    Stubbs has problems with low OBP? He has 2 seasons in the minor leagues, .364 and .368 OBP in the two seasons and both came with batting averages below .271.... That is actually quite good.

I don't know where I stand on a trade of Stubbs for Capuano straight up, because frankly, I don't like a lot of what I see in the numbers from Capuano. Lots of home runs, lots of hits, walking a decent amount of guys and coming off of a season with a WHIP of 1.49.... that isn't something I would exactly like to see a repeat of in GABP.

I would roll the dice on someone else before Capuano after typing all of that. I just don't think he would survive in Cincinnati at all.

I wouldn't fret over trading an at the most "maybe" prospect for Chris Capuano.

Thing is, I don't think Stubbs alone is enough to reel him in.

I'd be ecstatic if it happened, though.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

I'd trade Stubbs for just about any pitcher with a little value. In other words, I don't think Stubbs is going to be a plus MLB player.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post

If Stubbs isn't enough to lure him it something is wrong. I think too many people think Capuano is going to automatically revert to his 2006 performance. Capuano was moved to the pen, unlike in the Brett Meyers situation, Capuano wasn't moved out of necessity. Moreover, Capuano was moved because he wasn't performing.

I wouldn't mind going after Capuano but I wouldn't trade anyone that I would value. I would look at trading a Freel + B level prospect. Maybe even Keppinger for Capuano straight up. With the exception of a 5 game stretch, since the allstar break in 06 Capuano has been a bad pitcher. Maybe he needs a change of scenery or maybe he was pitching hurt I just dont move anything I value much to get Capuano.

too soon to give up on Stubbs, especially for a marginal guy like Capuano -- I think Stubbs will continue to have value for a couple years, even if his development just kind of plods along -- that athleticism (and defense) will still make him flippable down the road -- for now, I'd hold onto him (unless there's real talent to be had for him in trade) to see if the kind of strides he made in the second half of 07 are sustainable
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

It's not a matter of "giving up." It's a matter of projecting a probability and cashing in now if he has nay value.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post

You're right. I'd be shocked if the Brewers traded Capuano for Stubbs alone.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Turn Off Ads?