Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Twins Acquire OF Craig Monroe

Twins Acquire OF Craig Monroe

From rotoworld:

According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the Twins are close to acquiring Craig Monroe from the Cubs.

The newspaper reports that the deal could become official as soon as Tuesday, with the Cubs said to be getting a player to be named later. Monroe made $4.8 million in 2007 and is set to get a raise in arbitration, which makes him overpriced given his career 749 OPS, which includes a weak .303 on-base percentage. Monroe could see regular at-bats while splitting time with Jason Kubel between left field and designated hitter.
    The Cubs seem to be taking a collection of bad utility infielders. Theriot, Fontenot, Cedeno, Infante are all on their roster at this point. Nick Punto........come on down!
    Last edited by reds44; 11-13-2007 at 02:06 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Twins Close To Acquiring Craig Monroe?

EDIT/UPDATE:

It's a done deal.

Twins acquired outfielder Craig Monroe from the Cubs for a player to be named.

Leave it to the Twins to find a guy with a worse OBP than anyone else on the market. We hope this is being done with the idea of non-tendering Monroe if he's not willing to accept less than the $4.8 million he made last season. The Cubs were going to non-tender him before the Twins decided it was worth giving up a low-level prospect to acquire his rights. Monroe, who turns 31 in February, hit .219/.268/.370 in 392 at-bats for the Tigers and Cubs last season. He's a career .256/.303/.446 hitter. He'd be a nice guy to have around as a left fielder against lefties and a backup against right-handers, but the Twins can't afford to pay a guy $5 million to play less than regularly and there were better options for that kind of money. We wonder just how much this has to do with his career .322/.356/.544 line versus Minnesota. The Royals are the only team he's been better against
    This was a guy I thought the Reds would have interest in. I'm glad the Twins ended up with him and not us.

Re: Twins Close To Acquiring Craig Monroe?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I'm glad the Twins ended up with him and not us.
    Amen.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Re: Twins Acquire OF Craig Monroe

Craig Monroe is Glenn Braggs lite. Why isn't he playing in Japan?
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Maybe the Twins were getting him so they could move him on to us?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Maybe the Twins were getting him so they could move him on to us?
    real funny.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?