Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scoop--John Allen will be stepping down

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Re: Scoop--John Allen will be stepping down

I too had an opportunity to talk with John Allen once(inside the Reds Hall of Fame) and yes he has an engaging personality and is a pleasant man, BUT I always believed he ran his business with the Reds caring more about the "Bottom Line" than the product that was on the field. Case in point- Jim Bowden being handcuffed from either Allen or Lindner or both and JIMBO not being able to sign the players Bowden and his scouts wanted because of high dollar demands from the players agent(s) and the Reds historically passed on better players that carried a high price tag to sign. Kazmir was one of those players that got away as was Jeremy Sowers (glad Sowers didn't become a Red anyway) and to a lesser extent C.C. Sabathia. Just look at the Jim Bowden years after Lindner became controlling partner and John Allen was the President and C.O.O. It was fairly well known that the owner wasn't going to lose money on the Reds and it was Allen's job to make absolutely sure that didn't happen. Hence the overall mediocre drafts outside of Kearns and Dunn.

Overall John Allen has reminded me of the phrase- "If you're not part of the answer, you're part of the problem." The overall configuration of the "disjointed" Great American Ballpark was his baby as mentioned in today's Cincinnati Enquirer sports online. But I do give John Allen credit for a great Reds Hall of Fame and the honor bestowed on former Reds having their jersey number's retired was due to John Allen getting the ball rolling initially and then letting the fans vote in up to 3 honorees each year.

I wish you all the best, John Allen. Good Luck in your future endeavors.

Vada Pinson Fan

2. Turn Off Ads?

Oh please let Jocketty be the other shoe dropping!

I read where there was a report from WLW that Allen's departure from the Reds clears the way for Barry Larkin to return to the Reds organization. I cannot confirm it however.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalls View Post
    Oh please let Jocketty be the other shoe dropping!

The Enquirer states that Allen will not be replaced. JA's duties will be absorbed by others in the Reds front office.
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...30049/1062/SPT

One less vestige of the Banana Man.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I read where there was a report from WLW that Allen's departure from the Reds clears the way for Barry Larkin to return to the Reds organization. I cannot confirm it however.
    The interview said they wouldnt be hiring anyone new to take over, but spreading his responsibilities within existing staff....

Too bad. I liked Allen, and I think his role was a bit misunderstood by many. It wasn't his money that was being spent or saved. He was simply taking orders from his bosses, just like the rest of us (generally speaking) have to do everyday. I think he did a great job of bringing some common sense back to the organization after Schott's ouster.

There was no bigger champion for the organization during the Lindner years then John Allen. I was lucky to meet him on several occasions, and would say he was a gem. The spring training issues will be well handled in his hands.

Oh, and I am not sure Jocketty is a better answer.... unless you are firing Krivsky. You only need one voice in baseball operations.... and you can find better guys to watch the budget.

Turn Off Ads?