Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cactus league anyone?

Re: Cactus league anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Seems like we're split. All the folks that live, coincidentally, in Arizona and California (or the west coast) think it's wonderful and those of us in the east or midwest think it stinks.
    And Cincinnati is located in what region?

I think you just made the argument for why the Reds probably need to stay in Florida.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

I think you just made the argument for why the Reds probably need to stay in Florida.
    My intention.

Look, it really makes no difference to me since I've only been to Spring Training once in my life. But I look at folks like TB and others who love to go (I love to go too, but it's simply not in my budget until I retire) and will not be able to do that. I know the facilites are not the best in Florida in their present location, but put send a team 2,500 miles away from home to ST seems like a political move to me--upgrade or lose us. I don't like that. Of course, I'm a traditionalist. Spring Training in Arizona is fine for the Dodgers, Giants, Mariners, Diamondbacks, Rockies, and Texas, but the rest should be in Florida where the majority of the team's fans can at least dream of being able to attend.

There's no way the Reds will move to Arizona--Ken Griffey, Jr. lives in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

Cubs have been west for over 50 years now... Reds can do it too.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cubs have been west for over 50 years now... Reds can do it too.
    A drive from Cincinnati to Florida can be done by many people in one day, driving straight through. To Arizona, it's likely a 2 day trip both ways. To Chicagoans, there probably isn't much difference between a two day drive to Florida and a two day drive to Arizona. Sure the Reds can do it, but it isn't likely to sit well with a lot of people who make plans to drive to Florida for Spring Training. You might see fewer families making the trip.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

To Chicagoans, there probably isn't much difference between a two day drive to Florida and a two day drive to Arizona.
    Drivings bad for the environment, I don't care about families... my motives are totally selfish in this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Drivings bad for the environment, I don't care about families... my motives are totally selfish in this matter.
    And not terribly representative of the larger fan base. You're a PST fan of an EST franchise.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...T04/301140119/

Reds to scout Goodyear, Ariz.
    Orlando only Fla. city making pitch to be spring home
    BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

Reds COO John Allen will be in Goodyear, Ariz., Wednesday to hear that city’s pitch to become the Reds’ new spring training home.

Goodyear is where the Cleveland Indians will begin training in 2009.

The city is pitching a plan for the Reds to share the complex with the Indians.

The Reds started looking for a new spring home in November after a referendum for the last piece of funding to rebuild the Ed Smith Stadium complex was voted down in Sarasota.

The response from other Florida cities trying to land the Reds has been underwhelming.

At this point, Orlando is only city making a pitch to land the Reds.

There’s possibility that Sarasota could make another bid to keep the Reds.

The Reds will train in Sarasota this year. They have an option to renew their lease on a one-year basis up until 2011.

Goodyear is building a $75 million complex for the Indians. It includes an 8,500-seat stadium. In addition to the fixed seats there will be 1,600 berm seats in the outfield and a 400-seat party area.

The ballpark is the centerpiece for a 242-acre Ballpark Village, that includes housing and retail shops.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

At this point in my life, I don't have time/money to head off to either AZ or FL for ST, so I don't really have a horse in this race. But I do think the politics associated with whose taxpayers pay for a new facility are fascinating. Since these facilities don't generate enough tax revenue to cover the investment, mostly it comes down to whose local officials are big sports fans with enough sales skills to convince their constituents to go along with the fleecing.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Split the difference and have Spring Training in Texas.
    I'm good with that.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I think it's very interesting that Orlando is only other Florida city making a play for Reds.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

John Allen is in charge of the decision?

I predict ST in Bolivia

That didn't work out so well for Sundance and the Kid
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Shaing Goodyear with the Indians is a fine idea. The Rangers/Royals complex in Surprise is head and shoulders above all others in AZ - and Goodyear is primed to copy it.

Come over to the dark side. Cactus league baseball is where it's at.

Besides - can anyone imagine the moon shots Adam Dunn will hit in dry spring air at 1000ft off pitchers still shaking off the rust?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    That didn't work out so well for Sundance and the Kid
    We'll be fine, just avoid the army.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?