Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cactus league anyone?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cactus league anyone?

They neglected one huge piece of the puzzle. TWO teams have to head to Arizona if Reds do. Ballpark Digest did they heard that Orioles were having some problems finalizing their deal in Ft Lauderdale.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    They neglected one huge piece of the puzzle. TWO teams have to head to Arizona if Reds do.
    Not necessarily. There have been rumors of an AZ-based team moving its ST operations to Florida. A budget-minded AZ-based operation would likely find a good deal on the accommodations that the Reds are leaving behind.
    /r/reds

True, and one rumor had Milwaukee looking at Vero. I still think AZ is long shot.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

I'd love it.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Starin' hard at the postcards
    Isn't it odd and unique?
    Seein' people smile wild in the heat
    120 degree
    'Cause I wanna be free
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I'm not a fan, keep em in Florida
    Go Gators!

Can't wish for anything better then the desert and the Reds in March.

I hope this never happens. If it does, there will be a lot fewer fans attending, including me and two others in my family, because it costs a whole lot less to drive three people than it does to fly three people.

You'd be absolutely surprised how many Ohio license plate show up a spring training. I can't imagine that will continue, not in high numbers anyway.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    I hope this never happens. If it does, there will be a lot fewer fans attending, including me and two others in my family, because it costs a whole lot less to drive three people than it does to fly three people.

You'd be absolutely surprised how many Ohio license plate show up a spring training. I can't imagine that will continue, not in high numbers anyway.
    I have a really hard time believing this. Arizona in between Nov-March is a Midwestern haven - Ohio State is a HUGE draw every time they make the Fiesta Bowl - the Indians also drew well when they were in Tucson. The same will be the case for the Reds if this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    They neglected one huge piece of the puzzle. TWO teams have to head to Arizona if Reds do. Ballpark Digest did they heard that Orioles were having some problems finalizing their deal in Ft Lauderdale.
    The only place I've ever heard of this two teams rule Jax is in your posts here - where did you hear/read that this is the rule? Why has it never been the case in the past?

And I don't understand why Milwaukee would move to Vero - they have a brand new ballpark complex in Maryvale.

The only teams that don't have parks built in the last decade in Arizona are

Oakland - who had the Phoenix Muni completely rebuilt in two-three seasons ago.
    Anaheim - Just signed a long term deal with Tempe to stay
    White Sox - Moving to Glendale
    Diamondbacks - Not an option to move to Florida
    Rockies - Probably the only real team that has an old ballpark and would be looking to move - but the chances of them going to Florida would probably be slim and none.

So the chances of a team moving in the other direction would be extremely remote.

And to put my two cents in about the potential move.

I'm 110% on board with this being an excellent move for the Reds - beyond the obvious fact that they would be moving into my backyard.

The Reds would be assured of a brand new facility (with the exception of the Tucson move)- with all the trims & fixins they don't have right now in Sarasota.

The weather in AZ in March is just about 2nd to none in the US. The Phoenix area has loads to see besides Reds baseball, and all the stadiums are about an 1-1 1/2 hours apart. The two Tucson Stadiums are 100 miles south of Phoenix - a drive you can make in 2 hours on a normal day. That proximity can't be matched in the Grapefruit league. For a traveling fan's standpoint. That means easy planning for potential trips - you can catch a glut of games due to ease of travel.

I work far Southeast end of the metro area - and I can leave work at 11:45 and still make it to the 1pm Royals game in Surprise during ST.

The rundown on the potential sites mentioned in the Republic article

-Goodyear/Surprise
    Goodyear is the furtherst Phoenix Suburb from the main part of town - but the idea of pairing with Cleveland is an excellent one. KC & Texas have an outstanding Facility in Surprise - and if they have any sensibility they'll clone a good chunk of it for another two team complex. The downfall of both the Surprise & Goodyear locations are they are the extreme outlier of the Phoenix Suburbs - the teams are miles away from civiliazation (not that it won't catch up with the stadiums soon, that's why they want to build them). Surprise has the space for a third team because there simply is nothing, I repeat, nothing near the stadium for miles in every direction.

Casa Grande has been the long time halfway point between Phoenix & Tucson - having seen a huge explosion of growth in the last 2 years due to metro Phoenix simply spreading that far south. Pinal County - where Casa Grande is located, was one of top counties in the nation for population growth last year. Same downfall as Goodyear & Surprise - Casa Grande is still a smallish city with lacking amentites for travelling visitors (hotels, restaurants, sites, etc).

Tucson Electric Park is location wise, the best choice mentioned. TEP sits right on I-10, and is a short jaunt from everything in Tucson. And Tucson is an excellent place to visit - 40 minutes from the border if you're feeling continential and has numerous world class resorts, sites and so on.
    Downsides to TEP would be - The White Sox are trying to leave as soon as possible, and the Tucson Sidewinders - who occupy the stadium during the season - are moving to Reno next year. You have to ask why both teams are jumping ship and what makes the Reds want to walk into a potential mess?
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 11-13-2007 at 07:50 PM.

It's the desert. I used to live in the desert.

Another thing that made Sarasota so attractive for the family spring vacation, besides ST of course... the beach! Siesta Key is soooo great. AZ doesn't even come close.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I'd love it.
    Me too!! I'm being totally selfish, but I have my fingers crossed...
    BARRY LARKIN
    "You made me hope for something better
    And made me reach for something more"

"Love is doing all the little things that don't show up in the box score."

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Barry11 View Post
    Me too!! I'm being totally selfish, but I have my fingers crossed...
    I take it the bay area is treating you well?
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?