Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Cactus league anyone?

Re: Cactus league anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Southwest is okay. However, I too, don't like the cattle car system they got. I heard at one point they were going to have assign seating, but I have never got on a flight where they have it. I now hear they are going to give their most frequent fliers pre-boarding while making families with small children get in line with everyone else.
    They've actually done that. Except that families with small children board between the A and B groups unless they fly enough to warrent an 'A' boarding pass (which I do).

Or, you can pay extra and board first by buying their 'business select' tickets. (Note that the marketing department for SWA wasn't paying real close attention when they came up with this name. After all, it does winnow down to BS---which I find highly appropriate but...

Rem

2. Turn Off Ads?

Since I'm moving to Vegas in 5 weeks, I so, so, so, SO SO SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    want this to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    It is 970 miles to drive from Cincy to Sarasota. If you car, loaded with 4 people and their luggage gets 20 miles to the gallon, and gas averages $3.00 a gallon, it cost about $150 just for the gas.

Now, if you tell me that you are going to drive straight thru, well, then you probably are ahead. If 4 people are going to stay two or three nights in a hotel on the way....and eat, it costs quite a bit more to drive. Plus you need more time off work, and you are probably quite a bit more tired when you get there and when you get home.

Plus, you put 2000 plus miles on your car.....which, when you are my age, you have learned costs serious money.

If you fly to Phoenix, you can probably stay very close to whatever field they end up with in Goodyear.....that is just a guess, but as I said, Phoenix is NOT Florida in March as far as crowds go.

Anyway, even if the two trips break even, you are talking about flying instead of driving 2000 miles which in my mind, makes Phoenix far superior to Sarasota.

You are wrong about SWA pricing BTW.
    Let's just look at the numbers for a minute since you brought it up. Hopefully you can find a car that gets better than 20 MPG on the highway but I think your $150 figure is fair. Let's say your car of four does want to stay a night at a hotel for say $75/night, four guys, two rooms--$150 each way--total of $300. Add that to your $150 in gas and you've got $450.

At best you might be able to get airline tickets to Sarasota for $250 including fees/taxes. Four guys-- $1000 bucks. Plus you've got to rent a car once you get there, not to mention parking at CVG for a week. No way money wise do you break even vs flying. I totally disagree with your assessment to the contrary.

I know a lot of retired people who head to Florida every year (my parents and in-laws among others) and they invariably always drive. Two reasons: they're tight and they don't want to rent a car.

Personally I always fly because my time is valuable, but dollar for dollar driving is much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Let's just look at the numbers for a minute since you brought it up. Hopefully you can find a car that gets better than 20 MPG on the highway but I think your $150 figure is fair. Let's say your car of four does want to stay a night at a hotel for say $75/night, four guys, two rooms--$150 each way--total of $300. Add that to your $150 in gas and you've got $450.

At best you might be able to get airline tickets to Sarasota for $250 including fees/taxes. Four guys-- $1000 bucks. Plus you've got to rent a car once you get there, not to mention parking at CVG for a week. No way money wise do you break even vs flying. I totally disagree with your assessment to the contrary.

I know a lot of retired people who head to Florida every year (my parents and in-laws among others) and they invariably always drive. Two reasons: they're tight and they don't want to rent a car.

Personally I always fly because my time is valuable, but dollar for dollar driving is much cheaper.
    For an average car it cost about .40 cents a mile (the government lets companies deduct .505 cents). When you start factoring all the cost to the car. A lot of those cost will not be felt until later (when need new tires/transmition) or much later when you trade/sell you car for much less. So the true cost to drive 2,000 miles is about $800. If by chance on that drive you get in an acident that airline price seems dirt cheap.

To me if it is 2 or 3 people it is a no brainer money wise that flying is cheaper; but if it 4 or 5 it debateable which is better.

Quote Originally Posted by 4256 Hits View Post
    For an average car it cost about .40 cents a mile (the government lets companies deduct .505 cents). When you start factoring all the cost to the car. A lot of those cost will not be felt until later (when need new tires/transmition) or much later when you trade/sell you car for much less. So the true cost to drive 2,000 miles is about $800. If by chance on that drive you get in an acident that airline price seems dirt cheap.

To me if it is 2 or 3 people it is a no brainer money wise that flying is cheaper; but if it 4 or 5 it debateable which is better.
    If you're concerned about mileage on your car fine. Rent the car here in Ohio instead of in Florida. Pick it up the day you leave, get a deal on a weeklong rental and drive it Florida and back. Just about every rental is for unlimited mileage and it won't cost you any more than the weeklong rental you would have had to get anyway in Florida. Compared to the flying option, this doesn't increase your costs at all. It's still less than half the cost of flying. Problem solved.
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 02-22-2008 at 08:26 AM.

Turn Off Ads?