Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redszone Prospect list?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Redszone Prospect list?

What does everyone think about having a Redszone top prospect list? Each day someone (I will take it by the horns if we want to do this) will post a new poll with 5-10 prospects and we can discuss and vote for who we think is the best prospect listed that day and eventually we can get a community list of 20-30 guys. Its pretty dead in the minor league forum these days and I thought maybe this could spark some conversation of our guys.

Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Redszone Prospect list?

I think you and Reds44 would probably be best at leading a project of that sort, and it seems like a good idea. I have some knowledge of the top prospects, but do not have the necessary knowledge to come up with a poll like this. I am not sure if all members have the necessary knowledge to discuss all the players in our minor league system; however I am willing to give it a try.

Well hopefully people can argue why or why not a player should be ranked here or there and we can all learn more about our guys.

I 2nd the motion. I know a little bit about the farm system like what amarillo said and i can throw my 2 cents in when talking about the prospects but I dont think im qualified to come up with the five to put into the poll (Is Gookie Dawkins still a prospect? lol). I say start up a poll called something like Redszone Top Prospects we vote and discuss, the majority takes that spot then we move down the list and continue on. Sounds like a good way to keep me checking the minor league board.

by the way doug your blog has made its way onto my daily internet routine for what ever its worth. As far as im concerned what you say on the minor league board is written into law. I dont comment a lot on here but i enjoy your post as well as everyone on the minor league board that keeps it going. Like i said im all for this "Prospect Poll"

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    What does everyone think about having a Redszone top prospect list? Each day someone (I will take it by the horns if we want to do this) will post a new poll with 5-10 prospects and we can discuss and vote for who we think is the best prospect listed that day and eventually we can get a community list of 20-30 guys. Its pretty dead in the minor league forum these days and I thought maybe this could spark some conversation of our guys.

Thoughts?
    DD, I am not quite sure what it is you mean to accomplish here. Are we compiling a list of REDS top Prospects by a majority vote as to who is the best prospect? And I am assuming here that by best prospect we are aiming to get who has the best shot of being the best at the major league level and on down to a cutoff where that prospect perhaps has absolutely no shot of playing at the Major League level?

I guess I need more information to understand exactly what you are getting but I am all for it. Hopefully we can compile a list that will keep it interesting straight through until Pitchers and Catchers report.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

We did this before last year... it's not new. A community top 30 might work..... with a new poll every 3 days. That's 3 months worth. You can list all the top 10 players and we vote on the best one, and it gets taken off for the next poll. When it gets to the 20+ range it will be more even but it should be fine.

I'm for it, but the list of candidates needs to be pretty long. Many have differing ideas of where guys should end up. When you get down to number 5, the ceiling faction will want Stubbs and Frazier while the guys who give more credance to likeliness to contribute may want Roenicke or Rosales.

How about a 2 day process for each spot? On the first day, we run a nominations thread where everyone who wants to can nominate a guy for a spot. Maybe the thread could go something like "here are the 10 players that the administrator has nominated as candidates for the next propspect poll. Please make any additional nominations in this thread."

If anyone wants to "campaign" for anyone not on the list, they can post a nomination with as much reasoning as they would like.

The next day, the poll would include the guys on the original list of 10 plus any players that received nominations. At the end of that day. the vote for that spot would close.

On day three, all the contenders from the previous vote would stay on the list and be posted in the nominations thread and additional guys could be nominated for a day. On day 4 there would be a vote and so on.

40 players would take us right up to Pitchers and Catchers time I think.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

A faster way to do it, and I'm condoning it--it's just an idea--would be for anyone who wants to participate to write up a top-20 list, and then we can assign points for where each person ranks (#1 is 20 points, #2 is 19 points, and so on). Then, after 20-50 lists or so, we can tally the points and show the rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    We did this before last year... it's not new. A community top 30 might work..... with a new poll every 3 days. That's 3 months worth. You can list all the top 10 players and we vote on the best one, and it gets taken off for the next poll. When it gets to the 20+ range it will be more even but it should be fine.
    I like that ideal, last year that sparked a lot of interest

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54085

Here's the list from last year:

1. Homer Bailey
    2. Jay Bruce
    3. Joey Votto
    4. Johnny Cueto
    5. Travis Wood
    6. Drew Stubbs
    7. Chris Valaika
    8. Sam LeCure
    9. Milton Loo
    10. Sean Watson
    11. Paul Janish (59 points)
    12. David Shafer (48 points)
    13. Calvin Medlock (37 points)
    14. Tyler Pelland (29 points)
    15. Josh Hamilton (25 points)
    16t. Josh Ravin (24 points)
    16t. Cody Strait (24 points)
    18. Justin Turner (16 points)
    19. Jon Coutlangus (11 points)
    20. Wirfin Obispo (9 points)

OTHERS: Dumatrait-8, Anderson & Dorn-6, Fisher & Lutz-5, Parker & Salmon-4, Gonzales & Gutierrez-2, Asadoorian, Guevara & Rosales- 1

Quick question (probably long answer)- Who qualifies as a prospect? No MLB experience or ROY eligible? To put it another way, do Bailey and Votto qualify for the list?

I think the consensus says a prospect is someone who is still RoY eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    A faster way to do it, and I'm condoning it--it's just an idea--would be for anyone who wants to participate to write up a top-20 list, and then we can assign points for where each person ranks (#1 is 20 points, #2 is 19 points, and so on). Then, after 20-50 lists or so, we can tally the points and show the rankings.

Cam, I'm really in favor of this idea. Taking maybe even the major ranking places BA, BP etc and ranking their lists in the same way, while a number of RZers also do that and see if we can come up with an official RZ list.

Then of course we can use the info we already have and do our own write ups for each of the top XX players.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Cam, I'm really in favor of this idea. Taking maybe even the major ranking places BA, BP etc and ranking their lists in the same way, while a number of RZers also do that and see if we can come up with an official RZ list.

Then of course we can use the info we already have and do our own write ups for each of the top XX players.
    The only reason I don't like that idea as much, as it wont spark any conversation or insight that others have on players that some of the rest of us might not have or know. Say we get to #8 and someone wants to vote Player X while the majority of us are going with player C, they would make their argument for player X and maybe it gives us all something that we never thought about before with that player or maybe some new information we didnt have on that player.

C'mon Doug, this is Redszone, you know we're all gonna pick the list apart after its done no matter what.

You do bring up a valid point, with this being the minor league forum I think there are going to be more who want to discuss it in depth likely than many topic floated in other areas. The participants here are typically fewer but more hard core.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?