Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Journeyman = Great Television

Journeyman = Great Television

Just wanted to start a thread for those who've been watching "Journeyman" on NBC (Monday- 9:00 PM CST).

Yes, the show has a "Quantum Leap" (a big fave of mine) feel to it, but it's caught my eye and imagination over the last few weeks. Monday's episode (11/12/07) was some of the best fictional television I've seen in years. The plot, writing, and acting is simply superb- headed by "Rome's" Kevin McKidd (Dan Vasser). Gretchen Egolf (Katie Vasser) and Moon Bloodgood (Livia Beale) are both incredibly attractive in different enough ways to make the jealous tension believable. Dan's brother, Jack, (Reed Diamond) does an excellent job of being annoying while he's also a character with whom we can empathize.

The plot nuances are continuing to develop in a "Heroes" sort of way. Things we think might be important are positioned as being red herrings, but are then brought back later to the spotlight. The threads in this show are tied tight. Don't forget to pay attention or you might miss something. The show can be viewed as a "stand-alone" experience- one of the items I found to be enjoyable about "Quantum Leap"- but "Journeyman" does a better job of rewarding viewers for paying attention over multiple episodes. It gives more answers. Even if those answers only beg other questions, that's enjoyable TV for me.

IMHO, NBC has come up with a huge breath of fresh air here. It's as if they perfected "Quantum Leap" by giving it more edge, more intrigue, more protagonist/antagonist interaction, and then turned it loose upon itself while waiting for the viewer to scream for more. Bravo.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Journeyman = Great Television

Journeyman is by far my favorite new show of the season. Until this week's episode, it's ratings had been slipping. Were it not for the writers' strike, I don't think NBC would have stuck with it for this long. If some of you watch other shows during that time slot, you should check out this show.

On another board I frequent that discusses the show, there are posters who whine constantly that the show is "just a ripoff of Quantum Leap," as if Quantum Leap was the only show that ever dealt with time travel. QL was a fine show in its time, but I like Journeyman better.
    /r/reds

I'm not a big sci fi buff but McKidd is just great and makes this show worth watching.

What I like about it is it's had the good sense to take a "wouldn't that be cool" concept and point out that, "no, it would suck really bad." The poor guy is struggling to keep his job, to keep his marriage together. He can't be alone with his son. He's on a terrorist watch list because he disappeared off an airplane. Though it hasn't been mentioned, he's got to be terrified every time he sits on the toilet or takes a shower.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Well, since CSI: Miami has jumped the shark maybe I will give this show a try.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I love this show too, but never even made the QL connection. Instead, I find it's a bit similar to Dead Zone, though in reverse. And though DZ's lead character doesn't actually travel in time, his spirit does, allowing him to investigate each situation first hand without actually being observed.

Anyway, Journeyman is a great show, and I love how D.B. Cooper's money is beginning to filter into each time period. It's going to be interesting.

I'm wondering if he'll eventually get a better handle on when he's being taken back. That's gotta be just horrible. And I also think he's eventually going to have to tell/confide in his brother.

I know one thing, I'd have been asking the old girlfriend a whole lot of questions. To date, he hasn't. I would think she'd have a lot of stuff to tell him seeing as how she's been "traveling" for a long time. Anyone think she drew him into it somehow? That's a question they haven't even hinted at... why is this happening to him?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

The EX GF is in on it IMO, her showing up all the time when he needs help is a little too convenient.

I'm a big fan of this show, my only complaint is it is taking everything so slow, and with new episodes about to come to a halt due to the writers strike I'm getting ready to accept we'll never find out what's going on.
    Go Gators!

NBC has a couple of good shows this season. Along with Journeyman, I also like Life with Damian Lewis. Both are great shows, but it seems to me that NBC isn't doing enough to promote either.

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    NBC has a couple of good shows this season. Along with Journeyman, I also like Life with Damian Lewis. Both are great shows, but it seems to me that NBC isn't doing enough to promote either.
    Very good point. I like Life too.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

It was announced yesterday that NBC has opted not to order any more episodes of Journeyman. IIRC, there are two episodes that have not aired yet and those will be the last two episodes of the series.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    It was announced yesterday that NBC has opted not to order any more episodes of Journeyman. IIRC, there are two episodes that have not aired yet and those will be the last two episodes of the series.

Well, that really sucks.

I guess we need more reality crap.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I guess we need more reality crap.
    Like 'Who wants to marry their dog?'

Laugh now..but I expect it in 2 or 3 years.
    Go Gators!

This really is disappointing. I know it happens every season, but this was a really fun show.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    This really is disappointing. I know it happens every season, but this was a really fun show.
    I think it's happening more and more every season, as far as good quality television going by the wasteside in favor for more dumb, mindless, reality-based drivel.

I'm to the point where I'm not even bothering watching any of the new shows in the fall, I've just gotten tired of really getting into a shows that have no hope of lasting. Firefly, Invasion, Jericho (before the fan revolt), the list goes on.

Turn Off Ads?