Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Baseball revenues on the rise

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball revenues on the rise

By this time next year, revenues will be on the decline. Ah, the sadness when they report that. Things move fast with debt deflation.
    Last edited by Aronchis; 11-15-2007 at 09:40 PM.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

And ARod wants half of a percent of that. Selfish punk!
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I heard on NPR's morning edition last week (nerd alert!) that MLB's revenues are growing by 50 percent a year. Hard to believe, but NPR reported that baseball's revenues have suddenly eclipsed the NFL's.

I haven't seen the balance sheets, but I find this hard to believe. I know attendance is up. . . As are stadium/ticket revenues. . . As are local radio and TV deals. . . As are the satellite radio revenues. . . And maybe some emerging market revenues (i.e., Asia).

Sure, that adds up to 10-20 percent better. But 50 percent year-over-year growth? I just don't see it.
    Last edited by D-Man; 11-15-2007 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
    I heard on NPR's morning edition last week (nerd alert!) that MLB's revenues are growing by 50 percent a year. Hard to believe, but NPR reported that baseball's revenues have suddenly eclipsed the NFL's.

I haven't seen the balance sheets, but I find this hard to believe. I know attendance is up. . . As are stadium/ticket revenues. . . As are local radio and TV deals. . . As are the satellite radio revenues. . . And maybe some emerging market revenues (i.e., Asia).

Sure, that adds up to 10-20 percent better. But 50 percent year-over-year growth? I just don't see it.
    They have not quite eclipsed the NFL's(which will probably be over 6.5mill by the end of their season) but have made big progress since 2003. The year over year stuff is not correct. Though they have caught up because they attack the niche fans hard and in several ways(like on this board lol). While baseball doesn't have the NFL's mass appeal, the NFL doesn't have the revenue streams that MLB has created, it just gets by on........its mass appeal. The NHL should probably follow baseballs lead, even the NFL is trying some of the technique's.

That said, I think some softness has started to develope over 2007. Being in the IB business, things are looking scary. The "word" debt deflation is being bandied about and that isn't good for baseball(or any professional sport) anyway you look at it.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Forbes reported that last season their revenue was $5.1 billion, so if that $6.075Bil number is correct that was a 20% increase in revenue this season alone. Last season's increase was reported by Forbes as a 9% increase over the 2005 season.

Link to full story

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Turn Off Ads?