Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Men's Basketball thread

Re: NCAA Men's Basketball thread

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    There are some really interesting teams in the current Top 25 RPI.

#3 St. Mary's? Wow!
    #7 Dayton? Double wow!

Of course, I'm excited by my Commodores at #7. But conference play is about to get heated up and things will shake out from there, I'm sure.

Last night's UNC-Clemson game was fun to watch, for sure.

How's everyone's teams doing? (UK fans are exempt from answering this one.) Any brilliant observations? (Any Tennessee fans are exempt from answering this one.)
    Fun for you maybe - for me it wasn't fun until Ellington hit that shot!

Seriously, Clemson is much better this year than last year when they started out 17-0. Oliver Purcell can coach - I am not sure when that happened, but it did! Hopefully Clemson beats up on Duke a couple times this year. They have the size to really hurt the Blue Devils.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

2. Turn Off Ads?

Dayton and Rhode Island in the AP Top 25 is nice to see and is probably considered surprises as well.

Last night's game was very entertaining although I felt bad for Clemson. That had to be a tough loss for them but they were very impressive. If that's the real Clemson, they will be a tough team to beat in the ACC.

The Hoosiers are 12-1 and looking good right now. The Iowa game got a little scary at the end though when Johnson went crazy and scored 19 in the final 2 minutes.

There are some really interesting teams in the current Top 25 RPI.

#3 St. Mary's? Wow!
    #7 Dayton? Double wow!

Of course, I'm excited by my Commodores at #7. But conference play is about to get heated up and things will shake out from there, I'm sure.

Last night's UNC-Clemson game was fun to watch, for sure.

How's everyone's teams doing? (UK fans are exempt from answering this one.) Any brilliant observations? (Any Tennessee fans are exempt from answering this one.)
    I'll answer anyways.

In a normal year, I would have said Vanderbilt and Ole Miss will return to earth once conference play starts, but with Kentucky being horrible this year, Florida rebuilding, and Tennessee being really the only SEC threat, anything is possible.

Huggins has really been a hit in Morgantown and WVU beat Marquette this weekend. But they could fizzle once conference play starts. Beilein's teams never had a true post presence(Pittsnogle lived on the perimeter), and you are seeing a team with no size on the inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Huge game on Wednesday as Dayton hosts Rhode Island. Kicking off A10 play with a bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Fun for you maybe - for me it wasn't fun until Ellington hit that shot!

Seriously, Clemson is much better this year than last year when they started out 17-0. Oliver Purcell can coach - I am not sure when that happened, but it did! Hopefully Clemson beats up on Duke a couple times this year. They have the size to really hurt the Blue Devils.
    Agreed. Clemson plays very hard as well. At least they did last night.

While we're on the ACC, I was surprised with UVa's performance vs. Xavier the other night. They looked pretty ordinary. Of course, X shot the eyes out of it. And then did the same vs. Auburn yesterday.

Based solely on X, Dayton, URI, and UMass, there's very little "mid-major" about the A-10 this year. Those 4 teams are all solid.

BTW, it's Oliver PurNell.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Huge game on Wednesday as Dayton hosts Rhode Island. Kicking off A10 play with a bang.
    Do you know if there will be any TV coverage of that game? I'll look at ESPN's scheduled but I doubt they are showing that one.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Do you know if there will be any TV coverage of that game? I'll look at ESPN's scheduled but I doubt they are showing that one.
    http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/...010408aac.html

WHIO's showing it locally in D-town. CSTV has it nationally, if you're lucky enough to get it.

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/...010408aac.html

WHIO's showing it locally in D-town. CSTV has it nationally, if you're lucky enough to get it.
    I do get CSTV. Thanks! I may have to check this game out as I haven't seen either team play this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I do get CSTV. Thanks! I may have to check this game out as I haven't seen either team play this year.
    I've not seen URI. Dayton is certainly worth watching. Brian Roberts could play for anyone. Chris Wright is going to be special and they have a nice group of role players that all contribute.

URI is every bit as good as Dayton. Their best player is Will Daniels, a 6'8" PF. He can do it all. Jimmy Baron, the coaches son, shoots about 46% from 3. The PG is Parfait Bitee (Par-fay Bit-tay...best name this side of God Shammgod), and he is quick, and quick.

Both UD and URI go 9-10 deep, so expect a great game. I am biased, but I'll take UD by a bucket. If only because it's at UD Arena. The beauty of it is, these two teams play again at URI in early Feb.

Dayton play URI and X twice in conference play. If they split with both, I'd be happy. X is probably the best team in the A10, which says something. The A10 may be a four bid league this year, if all three plus UMass do well in conference play. Throw in St Joes (two OT losses from a nice OOC resume), Duquesne (Yep), and even an improving St Louis (finally seem to be grasping Majerus' system), and the A10 will be tough.
    Last edited by guttle11; 01-07-2008 at 01:11 PM.

as a Flyer fan it has been a good year ... so far.

OP has always been able to coach, he has done a rebuilding job 4 times(Radford, ODU, UD and now Clemson). In each situation he took a program on hard times and turned them into a winner ... not an easy task.

FWIW, Dayton is up to #17 in the AP poll, and #22 in the coaches.

URI is #22 and #20 respectively. Xavier is #24/#25.

Is it just me or does it seem like there are at least 15 teams this year that seem to have a legitimate chance to dance in the last game? I like UNC and Kansas best so far, but it seems like there are some really nice looking teams this year. Lots of good young talent spread out as well. This is going to be one of those years where you need to fill out seven different brackets to have a chance in any pool.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Is it just me or does it seem like there are at least 15 teams this year that seem to have a legitimate chance to dance in the last game? I like UNC and Kansas best so far, but it seems like there are some really nice looking teams this year. Lots of good young talent spread out as well. This is going to be one of those years where you need to fill out seven different brackets to have a chance in any pool.
    Might end up that way, but from what I've seen I'd say
    Kansas, UNC, Mich St., and maybe Memphis are a step or two ahead of most everyone else.

Haven't seen UCLA play more than a couple minutes, so they may belong in that group also.

Texas may also.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 01-07-2008 at 02:44 PM.

Based solely on X, Dayton, URI, and UMass, there's very little "mid-major" about the A-10 this year. Those 4 teams are all solid.
    I'm going to go on a slight side rant for a second. The term mid-major is getting thrown about way too much by media types nowadays. Conferences like the Mountain West, WAC, A-10, etc. are not mid-major. They're high-major conferences. They've just had the mid-major label slapped on them by lazy media types who just lump together any non-BCS conference as mid-major, despite the fact that the BCS is completely irrelevant to basketball. It's an annoying trend that's popped up over the past few years.

Turn Off Ads?