Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Men's Basketball thread

Re: NCAA Men's Basketball thread

Yep. And I loved every minute of it.

"and they were at no point fouling intentionally."

6 Duke fouls in the final 2 minutes while the Devils were trailing.

Part of Duke's problem was that DeMarcus Nelson couldn't make a foul shot to save his life.

Duke lives & dies by the 3. Tonight, it wasn't falling. They died.

The other thing to keep in mind is that K has 7 McDonald's All-Americans on his roster this year.

Wake, on the other hand, has 0.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wake won.

The vast majority of those fouls were earned. Duke just couldn't handle Wake's quickness. Duke was exposed to me tonight. Any team with a good PG will shred them. Fields from Pitt did it, and now Teague from Wake. If Lawson is fully healthy when UNC plays Duke again, UNC wins by double figures. Paulus is just a liability trying to play against a good PG.

Noaln Smith looks like he's going to be a beast. If I were a Dookie, I'd be wanting less Paulus and Scheyer, and much more Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Wake 86-73.
    I guess that would make sense. How was the foul situation for Wake?
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Yep. And I loved every minute of it.

"and they were at no point fouling intentionally."

6 Duke fouls in the final 2 minutes while the Devils were trailing.

Part of Duke's problem was that DeMarcus Nelson couldn't make a foul shot to save his life.

Duke lives & dies by the 3. Tonight, it wasn't falling. They died.

The other thing to keep in mind is that K has 7 McDonald's All-Americans on his roster this year.

Wake, on the other hand, has 0.
    Yeah I watched the game and they weren't even close to trying to foul. Paulus was the last one and he fouled out with a minute left and he was upset they called a foul.

Duke had a bad game all around, they weren't just missing 3's they were missing every thing they shot. The team shot 13-25 from the free throw line, that's pretty awful. Duke missed a lot of two pointers also. I don't think Wake should count on them to shoot that bad most games, especially on shots other than 3s.

Wake played very well, probably at about the top of their game.

I'm not sure what Duke having 7 All Americans has to do with it. I guess they should go undefeated because they have 7 All Americans?
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 02-17-2008 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Listed a stat wrong.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I guess that would make sense. How was the foul situation for Wake?
    They had one guy foul out. Wake had 20 fouls called on them Duke had 31. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that it was a badly officiated game (I didn't see most of the first half) but since Duke was playing shouldn't it have been called unfairly in Duke's favor?

In other news, OJ Mayo scored 4 points and had 10 turnovers in 40 minutes against UCLA yesterday. The Bruins won 56-46.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Duke just couldn't handle Wake's quickness. Duke was exposed to me tonight. Any team with a good PG will shred them. Fields from Pitt did it, and now Teague from Wake. If Lawson is fully healthy when UNC plays Duke again, UNC wins by double figures. Paulus is just a liability trying to play against a good PG.

Noaln Smith looks like he's going to be a beast. If I were a Dookie, I'd be wanting less Paulus and Scheyer, and much more Smith.
    Yep, yep and yep.

In years past, Duke had someone in the middle who could keep opposing defenses somewhat honest by being a threat in the paint on both ends of the floor. Boozer & SheWill types.

Nothing close to that on the 2007-08 Blue Devils.

Yeah I watched the game and they weren't even close to trying to foul. Paulus was the last one and he fouled out with a minute left and he was upset they called a foul.
    Of course Paulus was upset. Part of Duke basketball involves being incredulous any time a whistle doesn't favor the Blue Devils.

Here's a url to the final 7+ minutes of the game.

http://media.putfile.com/WakeDuke-Part-4

Duke (and UNC) always make more FTs than their opponents take. The argument is that because Duke (and UNC) is always ahead, the opponents have to foul down the stretch to lengthen the game.

So why wouldn't Duke be fouling down 6-10 points with under 2 minutes left to play?

In the above clip, there are at least 4 fouls that Duke had to commit because they were down and it was late in the game.

Joe Lunardi's "bracketology" is killing me.

Vandy is #11 RPI, #16 in the latest ESPN poll, but Lunardi has them as a 7 seed. Ugh.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

"LOOK AT WHAT HE'S DOING TO WOJO!!!"

::as wojo does his best 'fish on the bank' impersonation::

Did anyone watch the Duke - Wake Forrest game? All five of Duke's starters fouled out, and they were at no point fouling intentionally. One of the weirdest things I've ever seen at any level of basketball.
    KARMIC JUSTICE FOR THE 1992 FINAL FOUR GAME.
    I wasn't even an IU fan at the time and Teddy Valentine fouled me out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Of course Paulus was upset. Part of Duke basketball involves being incredulous any time a whistle doesn't favor the Blue Devils.
    You're right no other teams do that. Wasn't my point. My point was that he wasn't trying to foul.
    Here's a url to the final 7+ minutes of the game.

http://media.putfile.com/WakeDuke-Part-4

Duke (and UNC) always make more FTs than their opponents take. The argument is that because Duke (and UNC) is always ahead, the opponents have to foul down the stretch to lengthen the game.
    So? Most teams with really good records shoot more FTs than their opponents.

So why wouldn't Duke be fouling down 6-10 points with under 2 minutes left to play?

In the above clip, there are at least 4 fouls that Duke had to commit because they were down and it was late in the game.
    I can't say why. They probably felt that they could get by with scoring quick and playing good D. None of the starters that fouled out fouled intentionally at any point, and I don't think anybody else on the team did either, because after Henderson fouled out Wake pretty much put the game out of reach.

Nelson: Fouled out with 3:15 left on a little hand check

Thomas: Fouled out with 1:44 left when he and Scheyer had the Wake guard trapped in the back court against the side line. There was some contact could have gone either way, but he certainly wasn't intentionally fouling.

Singler: Fouled out with 1:36 left with an offensive foul. He probably did that on purpose to stop the clock.

Henderson: Fouled out with 1:31 left. Again a bump when they had the Wake player trapped. I don't know why he would have fouled him on purpose after they had the Wake player stuck.

How do you root for Indiana AND Dook?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    How do you root for Indiana AND Duke?
    I'm a huge fan of Coach K, because of some personal interaction with him.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65554

He didn't teach you how to flop, did he?

Turn Off Ads?