Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds #3 Prospect?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Johnny Cueto

73 73.00%
  • Danny Dorn

1 1.00%
  • Todd Frazier

0 0%
  • Matt Maloney

0 0%
  • Devin Mesoraco

0 0%
  • Tyler Pelland

0 0%
  • Josh Roenicke

0 0%
  • Drew Stubbs

1 1.00%
  • Joey Votto

25 25.00%
  • Travis Wood

0 0%
  • Other (please specify)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redszone Community Prospect Vote: #3

Redszone Community Prospect Vote: #3

Vote for the player who you think is the Reds #3 prospect. We will go with this as far as you guys want to take it.

I will post a new list every 2 days with 10-15 options to vote on.

If you feel like making an argument on why a guy should be voted here, feel free to vote and state why you voted for that player.

If there is someone that is not currently listed as an option to vote on, vote for 'other' then just state who you want to vote for in the thread.

If there is anyone you would like to see as an option on the next poll, just say so and if they garner enough support, they will be placed on the next poll. Guys with the lowest amount of votes will usually be removed for the next few guys who were talked about in the previous thread.

Forgot to make the poll public. Mods, if you want to make that change feel free. If not, I will be sure to do it next time.

Prospect 1 - Jay Bruce
    Prospect 2 - Homer Bailey
    Last edited by dougdirt; 11-16-2007 at 10:53 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote: #3

I actually voted Cueto #2 yesterday, but Bailey carried the day. I think he should clearly be the #3 prospect.

There's an argument for Votto, who showed so well in September, but have to go with Cueto3 and Votto 4.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Just want to draw attention to this thread as a quick reference for career minor league stats: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63647
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I went with Cueto. I'll take a possible stud pitcher over a stud 1B. Just more to do with the likeliness of finding one. Pitcher has more value.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Even though I thought Votto should have been the #2, I gotta vote Cueto #3.

I still maintain the top 4 should be Bruce, Votto, Cueto and Bailey, in that order.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I went with Cueto even though I fear a downward spiral for the first time he faces prolonged adversity on the mound.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Should there be a guideline for how long the polls last? Perhaps three days or 100 votes, whichever happens first?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post

I still maintain the top 4 should be Bruce, Votto, Cueto and Bailey, in that order.
    Don't quite understand. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Should there be a guideline for how long the polls last? Perhaps three days or 100 votes, whichever happens first?
    Well, I think once we get past the top 4, things will get interesting. So far guys have been running away with these polls with 70+ % of the vote. Once we get to the #5 prospect, we will be leaving them up for 2 days each before moving on unless we get another run away winner. That was the plan from the beginning, but Jay Bruce had 90% of the #1 vote, Bailey had 72% of the #2 vote and right now Cueto has 80% of the #3 vote... I think once we get past Votto at #4 (which it would appear will happen) that the vote will be spread out fairly well and we can start having some really good discussions on who belongs here and why.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I had to Vote for Votto on this one, which sorta surprised even me. I just cannot overlook the fact that he has already made it whereas Cueto hasn't yet conquered AAA (although done well in a limited sample). Also Cueto's stature will likely always worry me a bit. Votto's potential to play this game for a longer time could be the determining factor as to which of these 2 has more of an impact for the future Reds.

That said if they were at the same level and Cueto was 6 ft 3 then it would be Cueto in a landslide.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I see no reason to rush the votes once we get past 4. Sure, there can be some sort of mercy rule whereby we end voting if after 2 days a given player has at least 2x the percentage of the nearest competitor. Otherwise, let's give it a while some those discussions have time to play out and the undecided have a chance to make up their minds.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I see no reason to rush the votes once we get past 4. Sure, there can be some sort of mercy rule whereby we end voting if after 2 days a given player has at least 2x the percentage of the nearest competitor. Otherwise, let's give it a while some those discussions have time to play out and the undecided have a chance to make up their minds.
    Fair point.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Votto

Votto has shown success in limited September at bats while Cueto only has a little AAA experience.
    Plus, IMO hitting prospects pan out more than pitching prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post

If this is how you feel, you should have voted for Votto. Each poll is, "who do you think is the best prospect remaining on the list" not "who should be the 3rd ranked prospect."

The polls would make no sense if every one did it like that. Take this example:

#2 prospect

Bailey - 50 votes
    Votto - 49 votes
    Other - 1 vote

Bailey wins

#3 prospect

Votto - 20 vote (He now loses 49 voters bc they felt he was #2. If this is how it was done, Votto could never make the list as a prospect)
    Cueto - 78
    Other - 2

#4 prospect
    Votto - 3 votes (He now has lost 69 votes because everyone else thought he was a #2 or 3. Now he will officially never make the list)

Cueto wins because everyone

Turn Off Ads?