Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Is Scott Boras Losing Power?

Is Scott Boras Losing Power?

Is Scott Boras losing his status as the premier agent? The baseball community is absolutely furious that he leaked A-Rod's opt out during Game 4 of the WC. A-Rod isn't taking his advice and is trying to hook up with the Yankees than Bora's price tag of $30 million a year. Warren Buffett is getting in on the action. Kenny Rogers just fired Boras because he Bora's interests (money, mainly) doesn't fit Rogers' (staying in Detroit).

It seems more and more players are concerned with image as oppose to money, something that Boras doesn't seem to understand. Could this be the beginning of the end of Boras?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Re: Is Scott Boras Losing Power?

I hope so... I hate how he has turned the draft into a bidding war with little different than free agency...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

He will continue to be one of the leading agents, but it may be he is indeed leading some influence as players put their interests ahead of Scott Boras.

What has become clear to many of the players is that Boras doesn't give them all the information from a team, and therefore doesn't really meet his responsibilities to them. Boras has only cared about Boras' image for a very long time, and now, with all the media coverage of ARod, it became clear to those players. Rogers discovered that he hadn't gotten all the information from the Tigers, and decided he should take care of his own needs. Boras will lose some of his power because he will lose some of his clients. The winners are the other agents.

He would be my first choice if I ever needed an agent.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    He would be second on my list to Jerry Maguire.

In all seriousness, Boras has helped ruin pro baseball, and I really hope he is losing influence. With the two recent players breaking away, it seems that more could follow.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    If your only concern was makng the most money. Boros always makes sure his clients get the most money, but usually at a price.

The first example is J.D. Drew. Drew has always gotten great contracts, but the way he gets them has made him one of the least respected players in the game. He could have been a dominant talent in the game, a potetial HOF'er, but his contant moving from team to team, for all the wrong reasons, has ruined that.

Barry Zito went to the Giants because they offered him a ridiculous contract. But he now will never win a Ring, because of that contract. The Giants will have a tough time re-buiilding while paying Zito that much money for some many years.

A-Rod was the most obvious example. The reason why A-Rod went around Boros this time was because he realized that it was in his best interests to be a Yankee, and that all of Boros' ploys to get him more money, were making A-Rod a hated player.

There is a reason why Kenny Rogers dropped him. Because sometimes there are things more important that money.

Turn Off Ads?