Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advanced DirecTV Stuff

Re: Advanced DirecTV Stuff

I'm trying to do some research on Directv's VOD more. I understand it's basically playing "catch up" with Comcast and other cable providers who provide a "On Demand" service.

According to what I've read.....

DirecTV subscribers with the company’s high-definition DVR receiver and a high-speed modem connection will be able to access more than 2,000 on-demand movies — many of which will be in high-definition — as well as the cable-network content.

My question is.... I have my HS internet cable modem service through Charter Communications. I then have a wireless Linksys system set up in the house.

Am I going to be able to utilize that (tap into that modem) in order to download/utilize Directv's VOD? And does it only function with the HD DVR? I'm only getting the HD Receiver.

And on a different note.....

They are coming out next Friday to install Directv. When I talked with them I told them that I really didn't want the dish attached to the house (roof, or on the side). This is basically a new house build, and one of my wife's quirks is that she doesn't want them drilling into the structure. Their rep told me that they can install a tripod with which the dish is mounted on. It will be in our backyard, next to the house, with a clear shot of the southeast.

Does anyone have any experience with, or know anymore about this? Thanks.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-25-2007 at 10:00 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I'm trying to do some research on Directv's VOD more. I understand it's basically playing "catch up" with Comcast and other cable providers who provide a "On Demand" service.

According to what I've read.....

DirecTV subscribers with the company’s high-definition DVR receiver and a high-speed modem connection will be able to access more than 2,000 on-demand movies — many of which will be in high-definition — as well as the cable-network content.

My question is.... I have my HS internet cable modem service through Charter Communications. I then have a wireless Linksys system set up in the house.

Am I going to be able to utilize that (tap into that modem) in order to download/utilize Directv's VOD? And does it only function with the HD DVR? I'm only getting the HD Receiver.

And on a different note.....

They are coming out next Friday to install Directv. When I talked with them I told them that I really didn't want the dish attached to the house (roof, or on the side). This is basically a new house build, and one of my wife's quirks is that she doesn't want them drilling into the structure. Their rep told me that they can install a tripod with which the dish is mounted on. It will be in our backyard, next to the house, with a clear shot of the southeast.

Does anyone have any experience with, or know anymore about this? Thanks.
    Can't tell you about the other stuff, but I'm interested to hear how the tripod works out. If I ever get DirectTV HD service, I might have to go that route because I have too many trees in my backyard. Apparently they don't block the regular DirectTV Satellite, but they do block the satellite that provides HD service.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Can't tell you about the other stuff, but I'm interested to hear how the tripod works out. If I ever get DirectTV HD service, I might have to go that route because I have too many trees in my backyard. Apparently they don't block the regular DirectTV Satellite, but they do block the satellite that provides HD service.
    The Directv rep that I talked with yesterday - and he was very upfront - said they have had alot of trouble with this one company they use (contract) for installation, called Skylink. He told me that he wish Directv would dump them.

I appreciated his forthrightness. He tried to call them numerous times yesterday, while I was waiting, and get more info on the tripod; but he kept getting their voice message service. He told me that was one of the downfalls with them - trying to get a hold of them. He gave me their 800 number, I called and also left a message. They haven't returned my call, so I'm gonna keep calling them come Monday morning.

I have a few friends though who simply put a pole in the ground and moved/mounted their Directv dish to there. One buddy has his on a 8 ft 4 by 4 wood post in the ground. Said it works fine.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

You have to have the HD-DVR to do the on-demand. It has to record somewhere. (on a related note, why in the world would someone NOT get the DVR?)

I have a cable/modem wireless conection but I use ethernet into the router for the DVR (intentionally assured cable connection would be close to the DVR)

At the present time, no HD on the On_Demand (but it's still in beta)
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    (on a related note, why in the world would someone NOT get the DVR?)
    Having to pay $200 for the darn thing, and the fact that my wife and I don't really watch a lot of TV, or are "hooked" on particular shows/series that require a need to tape them.

I have a cable/modem wireless conection but I use ethernet into the router for the DVR (intentionally assured cable connection would be close to the DVR)
    But can I go wireless? Do I have to run an ethernet cable from my modem (router) to the DVR?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Having to pay $200 for the darn thing, and the fact that my wife and I don't really watch a lot of TV, or are "hooked" on particular shows/series that require a need to tape them.

But can I go wireless? Do I have to run an ethernet cable from my modem (router) to the DVR?
    No need to go wired. There are about 8-10 wireless bridges/access points, that are usable for the DVR. I'm using a netgear wireless print server and it was very easy to do after being frustrated with some other products.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

I just informed my cable company today that I was leaving them, and gave them a cut-off date. They wanted to know why, and what they could do to keep me? I told them they could go all digital, increase their channel lineup, add the Big Ten Network, ESPN Classics, On Demand services, cut $50/month off my bill (which is what I am saving with Directv), and add HD.

That shut him up.

Quote Originally Posted by KYRedsFan View Post
    No need to go wired. There are about 8-10 wireless bridges/access points, that are usable for the DVR. I'm using a netgear wireless print server and it was very easy to do after being frustrated with some other products.
    That sounds great, KYRedsFan. I have a HR20 in my basement but my router is up on the second floor with no practical way to wire them together. Can you elaborate a little bit about what you did to hook up the DVR to the network wirelessly, or give a link? I'd love to get mine linked up.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody View Post
    That sounds great, KYRedsFan. I have a HR20 in my basement but my router is up on the second floor with no practical way to wire them together. Can you elaborate a little bit about what you did to hook up the DVR to the network wirelessly, or give a link? I'd love to get mine linked up.

I'm using these http://shop2.outpost.com/product/490...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

However, I have Frys less than 2 miles from my house and they are currently on sale in store at $19.99 a piece. You need two. One that goes from your router into your wall outlet and the other one from the wall outlet to your DVR. Very simple to use.

Thanks RBA, I'll have to look into that. Of course then there's the problem of trying to find on open outlet near my TV and my computer. I've got those bad boys stuffed pretty full right now.

Quote Originally Posted by KYRedsFan View Post
    Quick question for you. I'm getting a Netgear wireless print server for Christmas so I can network my HD-DVR. I've read some articles and posts from users that claim it's a little difficult to set up. How long did it take you to get it working?

I chose the Netgear print server (and it's 4 ports) over a gaming adapter because I also want to connect a SlingBox and my PS2 to the network.

They came out yesterday and installed Directv. I thought I'd get back because Yachtzee wanted to know more about the tripod.

It seems I got some misinformation from the Directv reps I talked to about the tripods. The last one I talked to finally set it straight. It depends on who does the installation, and not all use a tripod. Some may, but Skylink by Directv did my installation, and they used a 2" diameter pole installed with about 5 foot above the ground to mount the dish on. They did a very professional job, and it was totally free.

I had the coaxial wiring already internally installed within my house when I built it last year, and they were able to utilize that.

I don't have a phone line accessible to be attached; but it's not necessary. I'm gonna quit listening to Steel SD ..... I went out, on his recommendation, and bought one of those wireless phone jacks (Magnavox) which is suppose to utilize your wall AC wiring and allow you to put a phone jack at other locations. It's about 8 feet from the base unit to the remote (kitchen to living room), and yet the stupid thing won't read the signal. It works fine if I put it in the same room as the base unit with no obstructions (wall).

No big deal. It's primarily used for PPV (billing purposes) and if you use caller I.D. But I found out that if you want to order a PPV movie, and utilize your remote control or phone, they put a service charge on top of the movie fee. If you order it through their website then there is no fee.

Overall I'm quite impressed. Solid picture quality, and far greater channel selection as compared to what I was getting from my cable company. And I love the wide selection of sports channels - NFL and Big Ten Network, as well as getting the NFL Sunday Ticket free the remainder of the year.

You can also just get a long phoneline and only plug it in when you order something for the few minutes that are needed. I just use the website, that way all my receivers get the PPV event/movie.

Turn Off Ads?