Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advanced DirecTV Stuff

Advanced DirecTV Stuff

Just tried 3 new things with my HD DirecTV recievers.

a) Video on Demand
    b) External HD
    c) Media Share

All three are "beta"

Video on Demand
    Pretty new feature for Directv. But it worked pretty well. Comes in over your IP conection. I have cable internet and the speed it comes in is greater than the speed it plays at, so there is no lag time. You can start watching immediately. (They said you had to download 60% to ensure this)

Pretty decent selection and 95% of it was free. There was nothing in HD at the moment.

Once it's on the machine it plays just like every other media (shows up on playlists, etc)

External HD

HR 20's have 250 gig internal hard drive. And you can't save HD to any medium (in HD) to archive. But you can hook up an external HD with SATA interface and use it. You can swap back an forth between the 2 by shutting down and plugging/unplugging the external.

Since their is no limit to the number of externals you could buy/use, you can archive as much as you want/can afford.

I paid about $175 for an internal drive and an enclosure. First time I ever tried that. It's not hard, but it's certainly not easily swappable. So I may just look for cheap externals in the future.

The MAJOR caveat.... at the present the content is tied to the HD DVR it was recorded on. You lose that DVR..... your stuff won't play on other DVRs. Hopefully DirecTv figures a way to allow you to use on a machine at same location.

Media Share

If your DVR is on internet, it recogizes your networked computers and can play pictures and or music from those computers as a slide show. Looks like it has to come from your My Documents folder. It shows a video choice but didn't recognize/play and videos.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 11-18-2007 at 11:19 AM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Cruisin' for trouble

Re: Advanced DirecTV Stuff

Hey Jax, I have the HDDVR as well. How did you get hooked up with the VOD?

Assuming you have a high speed internet connection, plug an ethernet line into back of DVR. Then go to channel 1000. (make sure you are looking at "all channels") It's pretty easy from there.....

Cruisin' for trouble

Therein lies the problem, unfortunately. I have satellite internet, which is fine speed-wise, but they have a fair access policy that limits daily downloads to 375MB. Any movie tends to be 600MB or better.

I'd love satellite if it wasn't for that.

Assuming you have Directv's internet, I can't believe they'd punish you for downloading their own stuff....

Cruisin' for trouble

You'd also think that, by having Directv and Hughesnet, I'd get some sort of a package discount.

Not so much.

Wow I didn't know those things were possible.

Could I wirelessly connect to my network somehow?

I need to look into this...

Don't forget that Remote Scheduling software has begun to roll out. You'll be able to program a recording on your HR20 via Directv's website. (A mobile browser page was also available during the beta; hopefully it will carry over.)

The cool thing is that your receiver will not have to be connected to the internet for it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by bengalsown
    Could I wirelessly connect to my network somehow?
    You can connect your receiver to the internet directly via a cable or wirelessly. However, you can NOT use the USB port to connect to the network. You have to go Ethernet. A gaming adapter is often recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed
    The MAJOR caveat.... at the present the content is tied to the HD DVR it was recorded on. You lose that DVR..... your stuff won't play on other DVRs. Hopefully DirecTv figures a way to allow you to use on a machine at same location.
    I'm guessing that the ability to take your eSata drive to another location and watch it's content will not be enabled any time soon. If I recall correctly, distribution and copyright laws come into play. But I admit that I could be wrong on this one.
    Last edited by durl; 11-19-2007 at 12:03 AM.

I checked on the remote scheduling (called "Remote Booking") over weekend also but it doesn't show up for me. I don't run any of the CE releases.

Although taking my ESATA drive to someother place would be nice.... all I want is the ability to plug it into another DVR on my account, even if it's a one-time "switch".

Tons of answers can be found at dbstalk.com
    Great site. Recently wirelessly networked by HD DVR. The media share is nice, I like Xbox360's better, but with this you can watch TV and listen to your music which obviously can't be done through the 360. The photo share is kind of buggy for me, and the On Demand "could" be great, it will just matter what kind of content is offered. No HBO and no major networks is limiting the usefulness for me at present, but it's a great new toy.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

OK. Just bit the bullet and ordered Directv. I got their Choice Xtra package w/ HD access included. Regularly 64.95/month, I got it for 44.95/month for 12 months. My HD Receiver is totally free with no monthly lease. I also get the NFL package free the remainder of the season.

They are scheduled to install it next Friday.

What exactly is VOD? Does it work like Time Warner's "On Demand"? Their internet is not available in my area, which is just as well because I'm keeping my HS internet through Charter Communications (and dumping the rest). I then have Linksys wireless networking with the other computers in the house, including my son's XBox and Xbox360.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-24-2007 at 10:16 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Guys, I'm also interested in getting Directv. However, I need the HD DVR. I've never had to buy one, always leased through the cable company. Looks like it's $199 after rebate. Is this right? No month/month option? Just making sure before I go for it.

Also, for Internet, do most go DSL since it's not an all-in-one service like cable?

GIK, that's the way I understand it, I've checked ot out, as I am probably switching form Dish to Direct before spring.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    Guys, I'm also interested in getting Directv. However, I need the HD DVR. I've never had to buy one, always leased through the cable company. Looks like it's $199 after rebate. Is this right? No month/month option? Just making sure before I go for it.

Also, for Internet, do most go DSL since it's not an all-in-one service like cable?
    I stuck with cable internet. My local carrier for DSL has their deal with Dish Network and I wanted DirectTV. I paid the same for cable internet with or without cable tv service, so I actually paid less for cable internet and DirectTV than I was with cable internet and cable tv.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    I can't get DSL out in my region for some reason. I checked with Directv and their internet is not available in my region. And when I checked with Embarq on their DSL, it's not available either. No matter though - I'm keeping Charter's HS cable modem internet.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-24-2007 at 05:44 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?