Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White Sox trade Garland to Angels for Cabrera

White Sox trade Garland to Angels for Cabrera

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3118872

CHICAGO -- The White Sox traded right-hander Jon Garland to the Los Angeles Angels on Monday for shortstop Orlando Cabrera.

The 28-year-old Garland, an 18-game winner in 2005 and 2006, was 10-13 with a 4.23 ERA in 32 starts last season. He 92-81 with a 4.41 ERA in 246 games, including 223 starts, over eight major league seasons, all with the White Sox.

Garland was acquired by the White Sox from the Cubs on July 29, 1998, for pitcher Matt Karchner.

Cabrera, 33, batted .301 with 35 doubles, eight home runs, 86 RBIs and a career-high 101 runs with the Angels last year. He had a career-high 192 hits.

He won his second Gold Glove and led AL shortstops in fielding percentage (.983). Cabrera, who has also played with Montreal and Boston during his 11-year career, is a career .273 hitter. He was on the 2004 Red Sox team that won the World Series.

Chicago also receives cash as part of the trade.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: White Sox trade Garland to Angels for Cabrera

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3118872

CHICAGO -- The White Sox traded right-hander Jon Garland to the Los Angeles Angels on Monday for shortstop Orlando Cabrera.

The 28-year-old Garland, an 18-game winner in 2005 and 2006, was 10-13 with a 4.23 ERA in 32 starts last season. He 92-81 with a 4.41 ERA in 246 games, including 223 starts, over eight major league seasons, all with the White Sox.

Garland was acquired by the White Sox from the Cubs on July 29, 1998, for pitcher Matt Karchner.

Cabrera, 33, batted .301 with 35 doubles, eight home runs, 86 RBIs and a career-high 101 runs with the Angels last year. He had a career-high 192 hits.

He won his second Gold Glove and led AL shortstops in fielding percentage (.983). Cabrera, who has also played with Montreal and Boston during his 11-year career, is a career .273 hitter. He was on the 2004 Red Sox team that won the World Series.

Chicago also receives cash as part of the trade.
    This is a absolute head scratcher from the Angels point of view IMHO. How did Williams get so smart all of a sudden?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    This is a absolute head scratcher from the Angels point of view IMHO. How did Williams get so smart all of a sudden?
    I don't know- the Angels now have one of the best pitching staffs in the game and they have Wood or Aybar ready to go at SS. And that's IF they don't acquire Miguel Cabrera.

Their staff is now
    1) Lackey
    2) Escobar
    3) Garland
    4) Weaver
    5) Santana

If I'm the Reds, I'd kill for that pitching staff. Meanwhile the Sox don't really get any younger, which is one of their biggest concerns.
    Last edited by Benihana; 11-19-2007 at 01:13 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I don't know- the Angels now have one of the best pitching staffs in the game and they have Wood or Aybar ready to go at SS. And that's IF they don't acquire Miguel Cabrera.

Their staff is now
    1) Lackey
    2) Escobar
    3) Garland
    4) Weaver
    5) Santana

If I'm the Reds, I'd kill for that pitching staff. Meanwhile the Sox don't really get any younger, which is their biggest concern. Almost every guy on their roster has a LOT of mileage, with the exception of Fields.
    They really had no need for Garland and even if they did, it's not like he's a bonafide arm you want in a high leverage situation. Their biggest issue last season? Offense. Their solution? Down grade it by adding depth to the back end of their rotation and it's not even a cheap arm.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Does that make Aybar, Izturis or Wood the nominal starting SS for the Angels?
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I think the White Sox probably won this from a talent perspective, but it's a head-scratcher from their end also, unless Williams is ignoring the conventional wisdom about the Sox needing to re-tool. Garland would have been a nice chip to trade for younger talent, and Cabrera is 33 and going into his walk year, if I remember right. That's a win-now move.
    Not all who wander are lost

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

So, how long before Adenhart and Wood for Cabrera?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I think the White Sox probably won this from a talent perspective, but it's a head-scratcher from their end also, unless Williams is ignoring the conventional wisdom about the Sox needing to re-tool. Garland would have been a nice chip to trade for younger talent, and Cabrera is 33 and going into his walk year, if I remember right. That's a win-now move.
    Wasn't that obvious when they re-signed Jermaine Dye? And aren't they the team that made a big offer to Torii Hunter already? Yeah, they're in a win-now mode.

Just realized, they'd already re-signed Uribe, too. I wonder what they'll do with him, now.
    Last edited by blumj; 11-19-2007 at 01:45 PM.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I think this is a win for the Angels. Garland may not have the sexiest numbers, but he's certainly a good back of the rotation guy to have and they have many other very viable (and younger) options for SS.

I think this is a win win on both accounts. The Angles had the players to replace Cabrera and made the trade which they think will help the club. While Garland isn'ta world beater he will solidify the back end of the rotation. The White Sox didn't get younger but there aren't too many legit gold glove SS who hit over .300.

would they have taken Gonzo for Garland?? sigh

would have been nice to know the Reds were asked before they asked the Angels

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Both guys are in the last year of their deals, but Garland makes $3M more. The Angels are sending both the cheaper player and cash.

Hmmm, I wonder why the Sox would want cash...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post

I don't know if Gonzo alone would have done it, although they're slightly similar. Gonzo has sruck out considerably more, as a tiny bit more power. I wonder if Gonzo and Hatteberg would have gotten it done?

No way of knowing whether we were in on the discussion or not.
    ďIn the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.Ē - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Does that make Aybar, Izturis or Wood the nominal starting SS for the Angels?
    Nominal is a perfect word to describe their shortstop now absent a counter move....

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post

My guess is that the Sox would prefer the superior player in Cabrera. Not sure why suddenly they would be happier with a worse version of the player they just received.

By the way, I'm no fan of Garland anyways. He was a disaster waiting to happen in GABP. Considering his price tag and pending free ageny, he would have been an awful target IMO.

Turn Off Ads?