Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dodgers, Orioles discussing trade for Eric Bedard

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Dodgers, Orioles discussing trade for Eric Bedard

Being reported by Tim Brown at Yahoo sports:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns take a look at the article. Could happen.

Matt Kemp 23 year old outfielder, as mentioned by Brown, would likely be a part of the deal with a possible host of other players going to Baltimore.

Please, please, Wayne Krivsky step up and grab Bedard if at all possible! I'm sure the Dodgers aren't the only ones speaking with the Orioles about Bedard, but man, no Reds info at all either locally or nationally that I can find.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dodgers, Orioles discussing trade for Eric Bedard

They should go after him hard. HE would instantly turn them into a contender. Harang, Bedard, Arroyo, Belilse and Bailey would give us a Great SHOT at winning the NLC. Als long as we don't have to mortgage our future get him! Then sign Cordero or Dotel if you can't afford Cordero and they would be set!

If the dodgers are offering Kemp, it would take Bruce plus EE and/or Votto at least. The O's want three big young bats for Bedard and will get that from someone.

Kemp is as good, if not better prospect than Bruce, and is farther along, and they have more and better prospects than the Reds to offer. I can't imagine the Reds outbidding the Dodgers.

If I were WK I would trade Bruce for Bedard, but not much more.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

build a package around Jay Bruce. PROVEN superstar major league player over POTENTIAL major league superstar every single time

Even if the Reds don't go for it.. I hope Bedard gets traded this offseason, I'm interested to see what it takes to land him?

I'm not sure we would have to give up Bruce, Votto, & EdE.. but I'd do 2 of 'em - maybe Bruce, EdE/Votto, and 2 lower-level 'spects :-)

It is amazing to me how much Reds fans overvalue current players and undervalue our prospects ... I think Bruce is worth a lot on the market!

Isn't Hamilton > or = Kemp in value? Both have MLB experience - Hamilton more power and defensive prowess and Kemp better BA, little more experience..

I don't know ...

Quote Originally Posted by hippie07 View Post
    Even if the Reds don't go for it.. I hope Bedard gets traded this offseason, I'm interested to see what it takes to land him?

I'm not sure we would have to give up Bruce, Votto, & EdE.. but I'd do 2 of 'em - maybe Bruce, EdE/Votto, and 2 lower-level 'spects :-)

It is amazing to me how much Reds fans overvalue current players and undervalue our prospects ... I think Bruce is worth a lot on the market!
    Which is why we should use to him to pick up an Erik Bedard or Scott Kazmir (if he really is on the market)

Jay Bruce and Edwin Encarnacion for Bedard or Kazmir everyday of the week. I will even toss in a Maloney to boot

Isn't Hamilton > or = Kemp in value? Both have MLB experience - Hamilton more power and defensive prowess and Kemp better BA, little more experience..

I don't know ...
    IMHO, Hamilton is far > than Kemp, which is why I would not trade him. I'd rather trade Bruce plus others than Hamilton straight up for either Bedard or Kazmir.
    Hamilton has shown in the majors that he has the tools to be one of the best players in the game, a true franchise player.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    Which is why we should use to him to pick up an Erik Bedard or Scott Kazmir (if he really is on the market)

Jay Bruce and Edwin Encarnacion for Bedard or Kazmir everyday of the week. I will even toss in a Maloney to boot
    I concur, but it would suck to have to give up Bruce, he's almost guaranteed to be the real deal whereas there's no such guarantee for Bailey & Cueto.

I'd almost rather trade Bailey & whoever else it would take for Kazmir - plus Kazmir has 3 yrs left of team control compared to 2 years of Bedard. (I would even deeply consider Bailey & Cueto in the deal)

We will have tons of money to throw into the 2009 Free Agent Market (Even if we sign Dunn). I say we use it to purchase Derek Lowe.

A Starting Rotation of:
    Harang
    Kazmir
    Lowe
    Arroyo
    Belisle

And we'd still have: Dunn, Hamilton, Bruce, Votto, Phillips, EdE in our lineup....

I like it!

A Starting Rotation of:
    Harang
    Kazmir
    Lowe
    Arroyo
    Belisle

And we'd still have: Dunn, Hamilton, Bruce, Votto, Phillips, EdE in our lineup....

I like it!

a boy can dream can't he

Sorry, but I'm not trading Votto, Bruce, EE or mix in Hamilton..........I'm not trading 3 young big bats for one pitcher. I think that asking price is too high. I'd trade Hamilton and Bailey but not everyone else. In other words, I'd trade Bailey and one position player for either Bedard, Kazmir, or Peavy. Otherwise, no go. Part of the foundation of this team has to be built by guys we've developed and have cheaply for a few years to manage the salary cap since we're small market.

I'd still love to add one of those pitchers, but at the right price. Not going to be happy about some kind of Herschel Walker trade that completely mortgages our future.

I also agree that in 2009 we will have more financial flexibility to add free agents.

Id test the market for Bedard but I have no problem with sitting on these prospects.

i would start with a package of Jay Bruce, Bill Bray and, toss in a Todd Frazier... I think that slightly ups the dodgers proposed package of Kemp and Billingsley... I would not put 2 of the Big 4 into the same package for bedard.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If the dodgers are offering Kemp, it would take Bruce plus EE and/or Votto at least. The O's want three big young bats for Bedard and will get that from someone.

Kemp is as good, if not better prospect than Bruce, and is farther along, and they have more and better prospects than the Reds to offer. I can't imagine the Reds outbidding the Dodgers.

If I were WK I would trade Bruce for Bedard, but not much more.
    Matt Kemp is very good but is not a better prospect than Bruce. Bruce put up better numbers while in the minors and he is a better defender. I will agree with you though, if the price is Bruce + Votto I do not make the trade. Bruce isn't just a good prospect, he's the best prospect in baseball.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Tampa Bay isn't going to trade Kazmir to bring Hamilton back to the Rays in any kind of package. I would be astounded if they did. Remember; Krivsky picked up Hamilton at this time last year as a rule 5 player from Tampa. Kazmir won't be coming to the Reds with Hamilton as the centerpiece of the deal.

I don't trade Bruce and Votto period. Their salaries gives the Reds way too much payroll flexability to part with them. Same goes for Hamilton, Bailey, Cueto and maybe Maloney. Ideally the Reds trade high payroll $$$ for the same kind of contract or less with each player being relatively equal in performance value. Keeping these young stars could have the Reds set for a decade or longer. Try and trade these guys on the Reds that haven't been a part of a winner since they have been here such as: Griffey (If he consents-> 10/5 man), Freel, Encarnacion(In a Bedard or Kazmir type deal only), Hatteberg, Belisle, Gonzalez,
    Ross, Coffey. If Hamilton must go to get a young,stud pitcher, well, I can accept that.

Under no circumstances do I trade Phillips, Dunn (unless Dunn won't sign long-term), Burton, Weathers (he has earned it and deserves to be part of this team winning) Harang, Arroyo and Cantu because we need Jorge's righthanded bat and a nice backup to Votto at first. And I don't trade the young guys mentioned just above. I know this makes trading difficult but the Reds have lots of talent to trade and other GM's know it. Let's hope they don't try to pull a "Jim Bowden" on Krivsky at the Winter Meetings.

Turn Off Ads?