Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you like WK keeping things under his hat?

Do you like WK keeping things under his hat?

How do you feel about zero information coming out about the Reds in regards to possible trades and free agent signings?

Stinks, doesn't it.

But I can't blame Wayne. If all of MLB doesn't know what you're doing, your chances of success are probably better.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do you like WK keeping things under his hat?

I have no problem with him being quiet. Me knowing in advance of Krivsky's dealings won't do one thing to make good deals happen.

Im pretty ok with it so far. Sure i would like to know more about the team but im pretty ok with Wayne so far.

I don't mind him keeping quiet as long as there's a good strategy for it.. but I'm not sure that there is..

I would think it might hurt us in someway... say for example Kriv is "shopping Hamilton for an arm" ... but the only people that know are those GMs he calls and maybe even those GMs don't know, maybe Wayne just says "What are you looking for in a trade for Bedard?" ...

I just think if WK made it known... "Hamilton can be had for a quality arm" ... it would be much more conducive to a successful trade environment... free markets are dependent on full information - so says my econ course.

However, if a trade doesn't work out, then Hamilton might get his feelings hurt or an "impending trade" might get into his head and effect his performance.... so, I guess there's an argument for Wayne's strategy too, but....

Senor Votto

I'd rather know what's going on in the front office instead of the all this secret spy stuff.

I don't think this is rocket science. I feel that most fans have a good idea of what needs to be done to improve this team. If WK comes out and says we are looking for pitching - both starters and relievers - is that going to be an epiphany moment for anyone? I doubt it.

It is not a problem as long as he lets the fans know in a general way what he will do to improve the team. We do not need to know the specifics.

Right now with all the Nuxhall proceeedings going on, I wouldn't think there would be any kind of activity at all. However, this is the time of year that we keep waiting for somekind of trade/free agent news only to be disappointed year after year.

I do have a problem with it. Now I know sometimes you need to keep things secret, but some times you need to leak things out there for the public and other teams to know. Oh course this is only effective if the Reds are looking to unload players like Hatty, Freel, etc. You need to generate as much buzz, interest to reach a max value in trade. At the very least it will get fans to tune in everyday on the lastest news on there team. Which in the long run could..could generate more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
    I do have a problem with it. Now I know sometimes you need to keep things secret, but some times you need to leak things out there for the public and other teams to know. Oh course this is only effective if the Reds are looking to unload players like Hatty, Freel, etc. You need to generate as much buzz, interest to reach a max value in trade. At the very least it will get fans to tune in everyday on the lastest news on there team. Which in the long run could..could generate more money.
    Buzz is something important when dealing with marketing but is it really important when you're part of a self-contained organization with members making deals with each other? I guess the only way I see it coming into play would be to get the attention of agents. Even so, it's the GMs that make the deals.

Another thing to keep in mind is that "buzz" and having fans following every behind-the-scenes move can also have negative effects. While info on deals may make fans feel more connected, constant news of failed deals or their favorite player being shopped could create a "doom-and-gloom" atmosphere that would fester for months.

All that matters is who is on the roster come Opening Day.

You drive up the price by keeping silient on what other teams are offering. You just mention that you have contacted other teams and that they are offering alot to have said player. When asked for details dont give it away.

You really think that the GM of another team is going to call up and ask the opposing bidder what their bid is? Its like me calling up Dell and saying "I have a better offer and warranty from GateWay. Can you guys do better than them?" What are they going to call up Gateway and question Gateway on the truth? If they WANT your business, they play YOUR game. Not the other way around.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

WK just is a rebel without a clue

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    Buzz is something important when dealing with marketing but is it really important when you're part of a self-contained organization with members making deals with each other? I guess the only way I see it coming into play would be to get the attention of agents. Even so, it's the GMs that make the deals.

Another thing to keep in mind is that "buzz" and having fans following every behind-the-scenes move can also have negative effects. While info on deals may make fans feel more connected, constant news of failed deals or their favorite player being shopped could create a "doom-and-gloom" atmosphere that would fester for months.

All that matters is who is on the roster come Opening Day.
    I agree with everything here.

Why do I need to know that WK offered a minor league contract to Mariano Rivera or that he attempted to trade hatte, EE, and Homer for Johan only to be rejected on both accounts...

I LIKE him playing everything close to the vest. WK has a habit of going after trash heap players and here lately, they have been garnering some solid results. If he announced to the press that he was going to be able to pick up the next josh hamilton or brandon phillips for pennies on the dollar don't you think another team would bid nickels?

Keep watching the 40 man roster. It will be interesting to see who the Reds pick up in the next Rule 5 draft, and who they leave exposed. Wayne did pretty well in the Rule 5 draft last year.

I'm just saying throw us fans a bone. I want too here that the Reds are interested in one of the those names out there (Peavy, Johan, Haren). It's not like it would materialize, I just want something to keep me wanting to come back to all Reds sites too see what playesr might be in here.
    Isn't that the reason why they call it the Hot Stove league?? It's not the "we like players but we not saying who league".

Turn Off Ads?