Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Mariano Rivera re-signed by Yankees

Mariano Rivera re-signed by Yankees

Mariano Rivera has agreed to accept the Yankees' three-year, $45 million offer, according to a friend who spoke with Mo today.

Last night, Rivera returned from giving baseball clinics in the Dominican Republic. He told the friend that he intended to sign when he returned, but that Hank Steinbrenner's comments about his age might have caused some hard feelings that led to a week of speculation about Rivera's pinstriped future.

Either way, Rivera would have returned to the Yankees. "He would have taken two years and an option,'' the firend said, adding that Rivera did not really want a fourth year. Perhaps that was meant to make the Yankees uncomfortable for Steinbrenner's remarks about his age.

Whatever the case, Rivera is back. Now, if only Andy Pettitte would make up his mind....

So Cordero is now the best available relief pitcher. It would be nice if the Reds could pick him up. It looks like the Yankees overpaid for Rivera.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mariano Rivera re-signed by Yankees

This is good news for the Yankees. It doesn't mean much to the Reds though. They wouldn't have had a shot with him.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Senor Votto

I love that the Yankees are paying so much money for these old guys.

Why do the Yankees overpay for everyone? It doesnt make any sense, the are basically bidding against themselves for ARod and Posada and they still grossly over pay.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    It looks like the Yankees overpaid for Rivera.
    Understatement of the month. I know the guy is one of the best, if not the best, relief pitchers in history, but he is getting old. i dont like hank, personally; think hes a spoiled brat. however, hes absolutely right to say that, just showed he has no stones by signing him for 4 yrs. by the 3rd or 4th year in that contract, hes gonna be a virtually average pitcher. his cut fastbal already is long speed, and guys who shouldnt be have been catching up to it (scuttaro, anyone?) its gonna be like jason giambi, lol paying crazy money for a mediocre player. i love it.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Why do the Yankees overpay for everyone? It doesnt make any sense, the are basically bidding against themselves for ARod and Posada and they still grossly over pay.
    I think it's because they can. Their baseball operations actually loses enough money each year equal to the total payroll of several individual teams. Their YES network generates tons of revenue and more than compensates for those losses.

There are benefits to being in the biggest media market in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    I think it's because they can. Their baseball operations actually loses enough money each year equal to the total payroll of several individual teams. Their YES network generates tons of revenue and more than compensates for those losses.

There are benefits to being in the biggest media market in the US.
    Still doesnt make any sense to me. It seems that the Yankees could sign guys for less for a chance to win. Just because you can is not a good enough reason.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

I didn't see Mariano Rivera going anywhere else. Just posturing on his and his agent's part.
    Same with Posada. They're Yankees until they retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Vada Pinson Fan View Post
    I didn't see Mariano Rivera going anywhere else. Just posturing on his and his agent's part.
    Same with Posada. They're Yankees until they retire.
    Would you say that this was what ARod was trying to do aswell? That's what I think. I think he had it in his mind to stay a Yankee. Who would want to leave? I know I would love my face plastered on the back pages everyday.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Turn Off Ads?