Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds #6 Prospect?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Danny Dorn

4 4.12%
  • Juan Francisco

1 1.03%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

6 6.19%
  • Matt Maloney

22 22.68%
  • Devin Mesoraco

1 1.03%
  • Tyler Pelland

1 1.03%
  • Josh Roenicke

14 14.43%
  • Adam Rosales

2 2.06%
  • Neftali Soto

0 0%
  • Drew Stubbs

40 41.24%
  • Chris Valaika

0 0%
  • Sean Watson

1 1.03%
  • Travis Wood

4 4.12%
  • Other (please specify in thread)

1 1.03%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Redszone Community Prospect Vote: #6

Re: Redszone Community Prospect Vote: #6

I went with Josh Roenicke as well. I think he has a chance to be a plus major league reliever and fairly soon, IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

I voted Maloney

No love for Waring the guy hit 50 homers last year right?

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    No love for Waring the guy hit 50 homers last year right?
    I voted for Roenkie, but Waring is a beast. Waring has tremendous power. I also believe he had a stretch with like 9 homers in 10 games.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Waring might not even make my top-20. The same thing goes for, and please don't shoot me, Juan Francisco.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Is he that big? For some reason I thought he was shorter.

Certainly a frame like that bodes well for him. He'll probably find some oomph, or at least do a good of sustaining what he's got, in the future.
    Maloney is a big guy. You can see that by just looking at him on the mound. That was my first impression of him, wow that guy is big.

I voted Stubbs, again I think he actually improved last year as opposed to just getting hot for a while. It's up to him to continue his improvement this year if not the bottom will drop out fast on what little support he still has.

Quick question, do we have 2 Roenicke's in the system because I seem to remember seeing one struggle greatly this past season?

I like Dorn's bat as well but where does he play going forward, not that it matter's too much with regards to his value but just out of curiosity? Is he a Daric Barton type who can swing it but needs to play in the AL due to a lack of defensive ability?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I remember the Reds drafting a different Roenicke, but I believe they didn't sign him. Josh Roenicke has had major control issues at times, so maybe it was the same guy.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Though Harang always had the body for more velocity. It was just a matter of getting his frame behind his pitches.
    I too saw a comparison between Harang and Maloney. So I looked up Harang's home run rate in the minor leagues. He threw very few homers as compared with Maloney.

Maloney this year had a fly ball bias, his GO/FO ratio at each stop this year was below 1. This shows in the number of home runs allowed, 19 in all. This is my main concern, not so much his velocity which can improve. (Maloney had a slight ground ball bias at a lower level in 2006.)

So Maloney will need to work on this or he will be eaten alive at GABP or any similar stadium.

Still, with good coaching, whatever Maloney has that results in all the strikeouts could result in a heck of a good pitcher.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-20-2007 at 05:48 PM.

I am amazed that Josh Roenicke has 11 votes while Sean Watson has 1. Sean Watson is the system's best reliever, not Roenicke. He has more velocity, a better breaking ball than Roenicke and he is obviously a stronger prospect. When the Reds stop experimenting with using him as a starter he will move quickly - if he stays healthy.

As of now I have done the only other vote. I was thinking of Daryl Thompson. I think he showed excellant promise this year and with more time away from his surgery should at least be in the discussion at this point on. His home run totals this year are definitely a concern but had a bit of a breakout year this year.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...daryl+thompson
    Last edited by klw; 11-20-2007 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I am amazed that Josh Roenicke has 11 votes while Sean Watson has 1. Sean Watson is the system's best reliever, not Roenicke. He has more velocity, a better breaking ball than Roenicke and he is obviously a stronger prospect. When the Reds stop experimenting with using him as a starter he will move quickly - if he stays healthy.
    Watson got hammered in high A while Roenicke made the FSL All-Star team and then went on to blow hitters away in AA.

I've seen non-Reds folks gush about Roenicke over the past season, while you don't even hear crickets chirping about Watson.

FWIW, I agree Watson's future is in the pen, though I've got no particular expectations that he'll be anything more than the next Kyle Edens.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I voted Roenicke for the same reason as M2. Best probability of a positive contribution. He just edged Rosales for the same reason, Maloney (Trade Value but I'm skeptical of him being more than another Dumatrait), Dorn with a nice bat but a higher bar in the Corner OF spots.

Beyond those, I like Jose Castro and Carlos Fisher so we'll need to add them in a round or two. Wood is a little farther down because of his injuries and slight frame. Stubbs is in the teens somewhere on my list though his trade value may get me to move him up a bit.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I like Jose Castro and Carlos Fisher so we'll need to add them in a round or two.
    Fisher's my #9 guy. I don't know that he'll pan out, but he throws hard, keeps the ball down and has a great frame.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I voted for Maloney again. I think he can be a legitimate starting pitcher in Cincinnati.

Turn Off Ads?