Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Reds protected list is out...

The Reds protected list is out...

...and contains some interesting names. I believe this brings us to a full 40, no Rule 5 picks unless there is some movement. From Trent:

The Reds today added to the 40-man roster RHP Richie Gardner, IF Paul Janish, LHP Tyler Pelland, RHP Ramon Ramirez, C Craig Tatum and RHP Daryl Thompson...today is the deadline for all 30 Major League Baseball teams to file their reserve lists for the upcoming Rule 5 Draft, scheduled for December 6 during the Winter Meetings in Nashville...any player eligible for the Rule 5 Draft who is not protected on a Major League 40-man roster may be selected by another team...eligibility for the draft depends on the player’s age during the signing season of his first contract...generally, players who sign at age 19 or older are under a club’s control for 4 seasons, while players who sign at age 18 or younger are under a club’s control for 5 seasons...after today’s deadline, no team can promote a minor league player to its 40-man roster until after the Rule 5 Draft, though it can remove a player from the roster to make room for a Rule 5 draft selection.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Reds protected list is out...

Any glaring omissions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

While the roster's full, absent a trade, there are players that could be jettisoned without any great loss, or cost, to the club (e.g. Buck Coats, Jerry Gil).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I like the addition of Ramon Ramirez. I think he's a bullpen sleeper. Surprised to see Gardner here, but that could be a good sign that he's tracking back to being fully healthy.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I didn't realize adding Janish, Tatum, and Thompson was necessary. I was under the impression the player had to have been playing professionally for four years--not three-plus years.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Is there a list of minor league FA from our system?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I can't see any reason to protect Buck Coats.

Also, they protected Alex Smit IIRC. Who's he?
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I can't see any reason to protect Buck Coats.

Also, they protected Alex Smit IIRC. Who's he?
    That was my earlier point viz Coats. He could be jettisoned, for example, should a move require it.

Smit is a 6'3" 22 year old leftie pitcher the Reds claimed off waivers from Minnesota last season. He's from the Netherlands and went 4-2 for us splitting time between Dayton & Sarasota. For Ft. Myers, he went 1-4.

Another one of those waiver claims went about accumulating last year.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Bookstore

Dusty wouldn't swallow a Rule V guy on the ML roster... so a GM that cleaned up on Rule V left himself with no room to try Rule V

it's like when Bowden used to overload his roster with OFers, which prevented him from using his talent to find good cheap OFers

Unbelievable.. We are pulling a DanO again and ignoring Rule V.

My theory is that a team should always go into the Rule V with 39 players unless they are so loaded that that losing that 40th player would be a loss. (Which certainly isn't the Reds case).

Sure, most years where you get nothing out Rule V. But at least give yourself the flexiblity to try.

I don't care what Dusty thinks. Make the pick. If the guy ends up getting cut in Spring Training, no big deal.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

What makes it a given that there is anything doable for the Reds with Rule V this year? Just because it worked out last year they have to draft someone every year, esp. when the likes of Burton is the exception rather than the rule and Hamilton was a very rare exception?

Unbelievable.. We are pulling a DanO again and ignoring Rule V.

My theory is that a team should always go into the Rule V with 39 players unless they are so loaded that that losing that 40th player would be a loss. (Which certainly isn't the Reds case).

Sure, most years where you get nothing out Rule V. But at least give yourself the flexiblity to try.

I don't care what Dusty thinks. Make the pick. If the guy ends up getting cut in Spring Training, no big deal.
    If there's a player they really like they'll make room for him. Comparing this front office to DanO's on the Rule V draft -- following last year's haul of Hamilton and Burton -- swings and misses.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    While the roster's full, absent a trade, there are players that could be jettisoned without any great loss, or cost, to the club (e.g. Buck Coats, Jerry Gil).
    While I agree w/respect to Coats, I think Gil is a pretty valuealble property still. He'll hit. It's a matter of can he play multiple positions or not.

I didn't think Janish needed protection soon.

I knew about Pelland and Gardner, but I'm a bit surprised the organization is sticking with them and letting the Lizard go.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    While I agree w/respect to Coats, I think Gil is a pretty valuealble property still. He'll hit. It's a matter of can he play multiple positions or not.

I didn't think Janish needed protection soon.

I knew about Pelland and Gardner, but I'm a bit surprised the organization is sticking with them and letting the Lizard go.
    I just threw Gil out, as an example. It's unlikely that we'd do two Rule 5 guys again, so Coats looks like the place we could find room if needed.

The Baseball Bookstore

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    Dusty wouldn't swallow a Rule V guy on the ML roster... so a GM that cleaned up on Rule V left himself with no room to try Rule V
    I don't buy this for one minute. Why do we fix some part of past actions as fixed forever? Let's see what Dusty does with this team, not what he's done in two other very different situations.
    Oy vey!

The Baseball Bookstore

Turn Off Ads?