Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Rollins 2007 NL MVP

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Jimmy Rollins 2007 NL MVP

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Rollins defeated Matt Holiday 353 to 336 for the slimmest margin of victory since Terry Pendleton over Barry Bonds!

Holiday led the league in BA (.340) Rbi's (137) hits (216), total bases (386) and doubles (50).

Rollins led the league in runs (139) and triples (20) while hitting 30 HR, stealing 41 bases and, playing GG defense at the most demanding position on the field (except maybe catcher)

I did not see this one coming at all! However both teams led their respective teams to the playoffs...

On a side note Brandon Phillips managed to get a couple of votes to finish in 22nd place...
    Last edited by thatcoolguy_22; 11-20-2007 at 04:41 PM.
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jimmy Rollins 2007 NL MVP

Holiday deserved it. That being said, I would have voted for Rollins, simply because he backed up his guarantee.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I cant believe Dunn didnt get a vote.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I cant believe Dunn didnt get a vote.
    Arguably didn't have the best year on a near last place team. No surprise here.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Holiday deserved it. That being said, I would have voted for Rollins, simply because he backed up his guarantee.
    So you would vote for the lesser player just because he said something in the beginning of the season? You'd vote for something thats not baseball related in anyway... just a random quote in the beginning of the season. Do you know how many times players say, "we're going to win" and stuff like that? A lot. Rollins statement means absolutely nothing, and the fact that a stupid comment probably won him the MVP just shows how deceiving the media is, and how gullible the fans/writers are for buying the hype.

He won an undeserving GG (Troy Tulowitzki)
    He won an undeserving SS (Hanley Ramirez)
    He won an undeserving MVP (Matt Holliday)

I just don't get it

Carlos Marmol getting a vote is such a joke.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Jimmy Rollins did not play GG defense...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post
    So you would vote for the lesser player just because he said something in the beginning of the season? You'd vote for something thats not baseball related in anyway... just a random quote in the beginning of the season. Do you know how many times players say, "we're going to win" and stuff like that? A lot. Rollins statement means absolutely nothing, and the fact that a stupid comment probably won him the MVP just shows how deceiving the media is, and how gullible the fans/writers are for buying the hype.

I just don't get it
    Guarantees like this are not abundant in baseball. Not that many players are going to guarantee something of that magnitude. Then he put the team on his back when it mattered most. That team thrived off of him. That is the meaning in my book of an MVP. I don't come from the school that since Holliday had a great year that he deserves it. I come from the school where the player who put the team on their shoulders. A bold statement is only as good as the player backing it up.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Guarantees like this are not abundant in baseball. Not that many players are going to guarantee something of that magnitude. Then he put the team on his back when it mattered most. That team thrived off of him. That is the meaning in my book of an MVP. I don't come from the school that since Holliday had a great year that he deserves it. I come from the school where the player who put the team on their shoulders. A bold statement is only as good as the player backing it up.

Then explain how you feel about Matt Holiday leading the Rockies to an unprecedented run into the playoffs... Because he doesn't make outlandish predictions his accomplishments are not worth as much?
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

I see both sides of this argument, but for me the MVP comes down to a question of where the teams would be without the player. It's one reason I don't support ARod winning. The Yankees are still the Yankees without him.

If the award were for most outstanding player, sure I give it to ARod and Holliday. But, IMO, the most valuable player in the NL was Rollins. Where are the Phillies without him? Do they make the playoffs? Probably not. Without Holliday, do the Rox? I don't know, but I like their chances better than the Phils. Could just be me though.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan30 View Post

I just don't get it

His statement is absolutely baseball related. Anyone who has played competative baseball knows how important statements like that are.
    First, he didn't just say that they were going to win. He said that the Phillies were a better team than the Mets, and that they were going to beat them at the end of the season.
    A statement like that tells the rest of the team that they are good enough, and not to give up when they are far behind the Mets at mid-season. The Phillies needed that inspiration, when everyone else was counting them out.
    Statements like that are ones made by team leaders, by MVP's.

Also, I agree on the first two undeserving awards, but he really was more valuable than Holiday. He might not have deserved the GG or the SS, but he as a close second in each case.
    He deserved the MVP because he put up great offensive numbers while playing great defense at the most difficult and most important position in baseball. And he was a true team leader, making sure the team continued to believe in itself during the entire season.

I don't buy the "Rollins carried the team"
    In September, these are the OPS by each player

Rollins - .875
    Holliday - 1.244
    Fielder - 1.212
    Wright - 1.034
    Howard - 1.043

Holliday had an OPS .369 points higher than Rollins in the last month.
    The difference of .355 OPS from Rollins to the next guy is Ryan Theriot at .520

Not only did Holliday actually carry his team into the playoffs, literally.... He has much better stats overall, and it's not even close...
    If Phillies did not make the playoffs, no one would care about the stupid quote. Since he said something in the beginning of the spring training, you actually think that's the reason they won in September? It's irrelevant.

Rollins 344 OBP was the 47th best in the NL, 103th in MLB. A leadoff hitter's job is to get on base, yet Rollins wasn't even at league average in that category.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    Then explain how you feel about Matt Holiday leading the Rockies to an unprecedented run into the playoffs... Because he doesn't make outlandish predictions his accomplishments are not worth as much?
    What I'm trying to say is this:
    When Rollins made his prediction, he was bashed for months. He was put under greater scrutiny. The only thing people didn't pick up was that his statement gave his team greater confidence. His statement made his team better. Not to mention that he just went out and put up one of the best seasons by a shortstop in recent memory.
    -LTlabner

Best seasons by a shortstop recently.... like Hanley 07, Jeter 06, etc.
    Rollins is above avg defensively, but he's not great or anything.
    Both Holliday and Rollins were +1 win on defense according to the fielding bible. Rollins gets a +1 win for being a SS. The offensive difference between the two is a lot more than 1 win, so Holliday makes up for it easily.
    You can't realistically say that some quote in some interview in spring training is the reason they made the postseason and had that good run in September..... it has no effect at all. All it is is some Philly writers trying to hype up Rollins into making him the MVP

Matt Holliday deserved it over Rollins PERIOD! he had better stats, and carried his team further.

Turn Off Ads?