Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Friday Night Lights

Friday Night Lights

Anyone watching this show?

My wife is really into to it so we watch it. I do like it. There is talk that ESPN might be taking it over. It currently airs on NBC.

Episodes are available on nbc.com if anyone wants to check it out.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Friday Night Lights

I started watching it when they showed the very first show and have watched it ever since.I like it alot b/c it shows what can happen in real life.When the show first started they said it was based on a true story.

I hav'nt heard nothing about it moving to espn!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusive...ve-to-espn.php

FREE AGENT? FNLIs Friday Night Lights, NBC's critically acclaimed, little-watched high school football drama, headed to ESPN? According to a source familiar with the proceedings, the self-proclaimed "World-wide Leader in Sports" is in talks to bring the flagging Texas-based show into its original programming stable.

It would be a curious move for ESPN. Former NBC entertainment president Kevin Reilly, who ordered a second season of the show despite poor ratings, has called FNL a "women's show," despite the gridiron angle. Still, ESPN has been trying to beef up its original content since its first attempt at scripted drama, the over-the-top football soap opera Playmakers, was canceled due to pressure from the NFL. Friday Night Lights, despite an extremely loyal fanbase, has struggled to gain traction at NBC, having moved time slots three times.

"Grumblings about sports shows being aired on ESPN are common," an ESPN spokeswoman tells Radar of the rumor. An NBC spokesperson could not be reached for comment.

I've started watching it this year. I bought the DVDs for Season 1. I enjoy the show very much. It seems like they have gone away from the original premise somewhat. At least the last two, if not three, episodes have not had a game in it nor any mention of a game. I am guessing the producers have been under orders from either NBC or the studio to make it more of a soap opera rather than the show it was last year in order to increase ratings. I shudder to think what will become of it if ESPN takes it over. Will they have enough money to keep Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton on the show as well as some of the other actors?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

An NBC spokesperson denies the rumor, according to this Chicago Tribune blog.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I've started watching it this year. I bought the DVDs for Season 1. I enjoy the show very much. It seems like they have gone away from the original premise somewhat. At least the last two, if not three, episodes have not had a game in it nor any mention of a game. I am guessing the producers have been under orders from either NBC or the studio to make it more of a soap opera rather than the show it was last year in order to increase ratings. I shudder to think what will become of it if ESPN takes it over. Will they have enough money to keep Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton on the show as well as some of the other actors?
    I watched it last year and loved it, but had to bail out before the season finale because I got too busy with law school. When I heard that Season II was starting with all kinds of soap opera bs, I decided not to pick it back up. I can't stand the soap drama of shows like Greys Anatomy or Brothers and Sisters, so I took a pass on FNL. If they return to more realistic story lines instead of over-the-top "let's murder someone and then spend the season turning a decent character into a psycopath" story lines, maybe I'll come back.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    When I heard that Season II was starting with all kinds of soap opera bs, I decided not to pick it back up. I can't stand the soap drama of shows like Greys Anatomy or Brothers and Sisters, so I took a pass on FNL. If they return to more realistic story lines instead of over-the-top "let's murder someone and then spend the season turning a decent character into a psycopath" story lines, maybe I'll come back.
    I still think FNL is a very good show. It has a little more drama, but I wouldn't go as far as comparing it to Grey's Anatomy.

I do agree 100% about the murder scenario. There was no need for it and the way they dealt with it was dumbfounding.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Anybody know why the show has'nt come on in a while?? Is it b/c of the writer strike or something.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

I think it's done...

They haven't ordered any new episodes for this season. It seems that NBC doesn't want to kill it but would rather another network take it off their hands. DirecTv is involved as well as TNT, I believe. There is a Save FNL campaign going on where people are sending stress footballs to NBC and proceeds for buying the footballs are going to the Buoniconti Foundation. I'll put some links up later today.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

The show was recently picked up for next season:

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.co...-with-directv/

never watched the show, but I liked the movie
    3-2 at games this year
    5-9 all time

2010 central division champions

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post

Fantastic. I'm surprised, but really happy about it. Great show!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    Anybody know why the show has'nt come on in a while?? Is it b/c of the writer strike or something.
    NBC made the decision after the strike was settled not to produce any more episodes this season.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post

Nothing's official yet but it's looking good for FNL.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?