Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BA Reds Top 10 Prospects

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: BA Reds Top 10 Prospects

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    Yet Mesoraco is sixth?
    Higher upside? I am willing to bet that Lotzkar was no lower than 12.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Kyle from Middletown must be JJ Cooper's brother-in-law.:
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

I'm with Doug on Mesoraco. Scouts had him really high on their boards. The guy was hurt all year, very bad thumbs. I'm still surprised that Roenicke is a top 10 as a reliever. Why not Viola? He was untouchable.

Good news from the chat is that Travis Wood had a good instructional league showing and his velocity is back to where it was before.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I think that's partly true, but I also think that BA is an industry insider that wants to maintain good relationships within the game. Blasting teams' 1st round choices would not accomplish that.

But BA also ranks these same "1st rounders" before they are drafted. Mostly all of the other prospect sites also rank 1st rounders pretty high on their Top 10 list as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Daddy View Post
    I'm with Doug on Mesoraco. Scouts had him really high on their boards. The guy was hurt all year, very bad thumbs. I'm still surprised that Roenicke is a top 10 as a reliever. Why not Viola? He was untouchable.
    not that BA looks at the AFL, but viola got drilled in that league... does anyone know what kind of stuff he has or how hard he throws? i cant find anything on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Daddy View Post
    I'm with Doug on Mesoraco. Scouts had him really high on their boards. The guy was hurt all year, very bad thumbs.
    From what I remember, he flew up the draft boards late. I think it had to do with his talent and his signability. No doubt he was highly rated, but I believe he gave the impression that he would be a quick sign which helped his case a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    From what I remember, he flew up the draft boards late. I think it had to do with his talent and his signability. No doubt he was highly rated, but I believe he gave the impression that he would be a quick sign which helped his case a bit.
    Most players were a quick sign with the new August 15th deadline these days. I think he shot up draft boards because he continued to prove he was healthy from TJ surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Most players were a quick sign with the new August 15th deadline these days. I think he shot up draft boards because he continued to prove he was healthy from TJ surgery.
    This was from BA's last draft tracker. As always, take it for what it's worth.

14. Devin Mesoraco, c, Punxsutawney (Pa.) HS (16)
    The more players who slide out of the top 10 picks based on signability, the better for Mesoraco, who has asserted himself as a first rounder who was expected to sign quickly for slot money anywhere in the first 30 picks. He could be taken as high as No. 4 to Pittsburgh. One of most attractive assets is the balance of his game.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    This was from BA's last draft tracker. As always, take it for what it's worth.
    True, but I don't know if a guy that could go as high as 4th overall is really a 'signability pick' when he is taken at 15th overall.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    True, but I don't know if a guy that could go as high as 4th overall is really a 'signability pick' when he is taken at 15th overall.
    When it's the Pirates taking him at 4, anything is possible.

I don't think him going at 4 had much to do about his ability.

I don't care how hard a guy throws, I just care how many outs he can get... However, I do understand that you can't rely of fly ball outs if you are gonna pitch in GABP, but I could care less how hard Maloney throws...

Interesting to see BA's top 10 -I don't see that much difference between Neftali Soto, Watson, Valaika, Lotzkar, Dorn, Turner and the prospects from 6-10. That indicates some decent depth in the system. There are some big differences in opinion on this board on prospects which shows that there are a pretty good number of prospects that impress at least a few people.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Good news from the chat is that Travis Wood had a good instructional league showing and his velocity is back to where it was before.
    Excellent. I'm telling you, Travis Wood is a much better prospect than Maloney.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    Excellent. I'm telling you, Travis Wood is a much better prospect than Maloney.
    I don't know about much better, but defenitly better. This guy put up great numbers off the starting line. I think he'll get all those numbers back soon.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Turn Off Ads?