3. Joey Votto, 1b/of
    4. Johnny Cueto, rhp
    5. Drew Stubbs, of
    6. Devin Mesoraco, c
    7. Todd Frazier, ss
    8. Juan Francisco, 3b
    9. Josh Roenicke, rhp
    10. Matt Maloney, lhp

In hindsight, the Reds' success during the first part of the 2006 season was the worst thing that could have happened to them.

A new ownership group led by Bob Castellini took over in January 2006 and hired Wayne Krivsky as general manager a month later. Krivsky quickly went to work fixing a roster with some clear deficiencies, swinging preseason deals for Bronson Arroyo, Brandon Phillips and David Ross. Those moves helped Cincinnati jump to a 17-8 start that put it atop the National League Central at the end of April, and it appeared that Krivsky had a Midas touch for talent acquisition.

The reality was that the hot start was more a matter of luck than any actual improvement. The Reds were tied for first place in the division as late as Aug. 24, but they collapsed in September and have been trying to live up to unrealistic expectations ever since. Cincinnati finished fifth with a 72-90 record in 2007, and the rotation and bullpen are still as problematic as they were when Krivsky arrived.

After 12 years without a playoff appearance, Reds fans are understandably restless for some signs of success. Krivsky is facing discontent even though the team is actually closer to contending for a prolonged period of time than it has been in years. A farm system that has produced very little over the past decade has four top prospects ready to contribute.

Outfielder Jay Bruce became the first Cincinnati prospect to win Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year award. He and first baseman Joey Votto should take up residence in the heart of the Reds' batting order in the very near future, while Homer Bailey and Johnny Cueto are the organization's best pair of pitching prospects in several decades.

Behind them, Cincinnati has more depth in its system than it has had in recent years especially at third base, in the outfield and in the bullpen.

When the Reds' Fab Four make it to the big leagues, they'll join a club that has succeeded in turning other team's castoffs into solid regulars. Picking up Phillips for righthander Jeff Stevens was a masterstroke, as the young second baseman finally realized his considerable promise with a 30-30 season in 2007.

Cincinnati also poached former No. 1 overall pick Josh Hamilton from the Devil Rays via the major league Rule 5 draft at the 2006 Winter Meetings. Hamilton became one of the stories of the 2007 season with his amazing return from a nearly four-year layoff because of drug suspensions. Another Rule 5 pickup, Jared Burton, has become one of the club's most reliable relievers.

If there's a negative to the resurgence of the Reds system, it's that many of the people involved in the long-awaited turnaround are no longer with the team as Krivsky has put his stamp on the organization.

Johnny Almaraz, who signed Cueto and served as the team's farm director and international scouting director, quit after the 2006 season because he was unhappy with Krivsky. Assistant farm director Grant Griesser, field coordinator Tim Naehring, roving coordinator Rick Burleson, roving hitting instructor Jim Hickman, base-running coordinator Lynn Jones and Double-A Chattanooga manager Jayhawk Owens all were fired at the end of the 2007 season.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...es/265231.html

There will be a chat at 1:30 PM EST.
    Last edited by Benihana; 11-21-2007 at 11:12 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BA Reds Top 10 Prospects

No love for Dorn.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    No love for Dorn.
    or Travis Wood.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    or Travis Wood.
    I didn't think either of them would make it. Not that I agree with it exactly, although Dorn didn't make my top 10 either.

Mine would have gone like this:

1. Bruce
    2. Bailey
    3. Cueto
    4. Votto
    5. Frazier
    6. Roenicke
    7. Maloney
    8. Wood
    9. Stubbs
    10. Dorn
    Go BLUE!!!

Just don't get the love for Maloney.... unless he has his fastball in the 90s now, I don't get the love for him. A sinker ball guy who allows a ton more fly balls than ground balls just worries me.

BA almost always honors rcent first rounders -- thus the love for Stubbs and Mesoraco. Not a surprise at all.

I encourage folks to go to the BA site and ask questions for today's chat about the Reds system.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    BA almost always honors rcent first rounders -- thus the love for Stubbs and Mesoraco. Not a surprise at all.

I encourage folks to go to the BA site and ask questions for today's chat about the Reds system.
    You have to have a subscription to do so, so I am not sure there are a ton of guys on here that could do that. I wish they had smaller subscriptions available to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Yeah, it's almost like they're too lazy to really dig deep. Just pencil in whatever high draft pick from the year before.
    Go BLUE!!!

Yeah, it's almost like they're too lazy to really dig deep. Just pencil in whatever high draft pick from the year before.
    Or because those players for the most part have higher upsides and better skills....

Or because those players for the most part have higher upsides and better skills....
    I think that's partly true, but I also think that BA is an industry insider that wants to maintain good relationships within the game. Blasting teams' 1st round choices would not accomplish that.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well when B.J. Szymanski is listed as the Reds 4th best prospect in the organization (as he was in 2005), I think they begin to lose some credibility. Is Devin Mesoraco, the 18-year-old catcher who has yet to hit a lick at the professional level, really the 6th best prospect in the entire Reds organization? Or is it just that he was their 1st round pick from last year, and thus he must be one of the first guys mentioned? Stick around for a few years Doug, you'll start to get a better understanding for how things work. Your dedication to the Reds minor leagues is quite admirable, but you are still quite new to this.
    Last edited by Benihana; 11-21-2007 at 12:14 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Well when B.J. Szymanski is the Reds 4th best prospect in the organization (as he was in 2005), I think they begin to lose some credibility. Is Devin Mesoraco, the 18-year-old catcher who has yet to hit a lick at the professional level, really the 6th best prospect in the entire Reds organization? Or is it just that he was their 1st round pick from last year, and thus he must be one of the first guys mentioned?
    Szymanski had 81 at bats when he was rated the 4th best prospect in the organization. The 2005 list was released post seaason 2004.

Mesoraco is 19 and yeah, I would say he has a solid argument for being the Reds 6th best prospect. He played with two injured thumbs all season. He has all the tools you would want out of a catcher is excellent defensively. The hitting will come around.

Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Szymanski had 81 at bats when he was rated the 4th best prospect in the organization. The 2005 list was released post seaason 2004.
    My point EXACTLY
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?