Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Griffey Jr was the ONLY current Red to show up for Joe.. Pathetic!!

Griffey Jr was the ONLY current Red to show up for Joe.. Pathetic!!

I have to say, hearing this today on WLW really bothered me.. Then Marty said Jr had the idea to have all the players on opening day wear black uniforms with Joe's Number. thats a awesome idea..

Griffey has class..what bothers me is 24 other players couldnt take a few hours out of their busy schedule to come honor Joe.. Didnt stop ex-Reds Casey and Larkin (now with Wash.) and part of the Big Red machine showing up..I think Perez and Concepcion were overseas and couldn't get a visa in time..but the players on the roster should have had a better showing for Joe. Belisle talked he was mentored by Joe and he wasnt there!

anyway i hope they had real good excuses..

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Griffey Jr was the ONLY current Red to show up for Joe.. Pathetic!!

I couldn't agree more. That's disgraceful.

If true, which one has to question with some of the information on 700, that is so pathetic I don't even know what to say.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    If true, which one has to question with some of the information on 700,
    By golly, that's a shot

It's Thanksgiving time, so I'm sure many were with their families. Others probably had plans beforehand. Some probably didn't even know Joe. Everybody has their own way to deal with death. I don't feel comfortable going to funerals/wakes/etc. I know I'm not the only one. I don't think it's fair to rush to judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    By golly, that's a shot
    Well, you guys do employ Willie and all.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Well, you guys do employ Willie and all.
    Well...yes we do

Everyone's entitled to an opinion I guess, but really, how you choose to mourn someone is your own business an no one else's.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion I guess, but really, how you choose to mourn someone is your own business an no one else's.
    Everybody copes differently, it is the offseason and the holidays, and some people may not be available, and as some said, many of the current players (especially the young guys or guys who came from other organizations) don't know who Joe is.

In recent years he hasn't had the presence around the ballpark than he's had in the past due to health reasons.

Just my 2.5 cents.

I wouldn't think its any more than that....at least I'd hope not.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 11-21-2007 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Everybody copes differently, it is the offseason and the holidays, and some people may not be available, and as some said, many of the current players (especially the young guys or guys who came from other organizations) don't know who Joe is.

In recent years he hasn't had the presence around the ballpark than he's had in the past due to health reasons.

Just my 2.5 cents.

I was thinking the same thing. How many of the guys on this team were there when Joe was full time? Griffey would, of course, have more of an attachment to him (not to mention that he tends to do classy things from time to time), and I was glad to hear about the old guys coming back.

This is one of a handful of the greatest franchises in the history of baseball. And, Joe was one of it's most prominent figures whose presence on the field and in the booth far exceeded anyone else who has ever been associated with it in numbers of years. It is absolutely unimaginable that anyone could put on that uniform and not know who he is, and embarassing to think about. I am beginning to think some sort of organizational history course should be required of any player in the system. It may be the only way some of these kids will ever understand what an honor it is to be a Red and take a step towards restoring the prestige it once enjoyed.

That said, I can understand how prior comittments and the sudden-ness of Joe's death could prevent people from showing. I believe that Matt Belisle was there in spirit, and that there were others who would have liked to come.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I really don't think it's fair to criticize players for this. This is the busiest travel week of the year! Most Reds players that I know about live too far from Cincinnati to drive there and it's not easy or cheap to get a last-minute flight this week. You have to figure that most had other plans for the holiday. I'll wager that most of those not in attendance sent a card or flowers or made a donation.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    I have to say, hearing this today on WLW really bothered me.. Then Marty said Jr had the idea to have all the players on opening day wear black uniforms with Joe's Number. thats a awesome idea..

Griffey has class..what bothers me is 24 other players couldnt take a few hours out of their busy schedule to come honor Joe.. Didnt stop ex-Reds Casey and Larkin (now with Wash.) and part of the Big Red machine showing up..I think Perez and Concepcion were overseas and couldn't get a visa in time..but the players on the roster should have had a better showing for Joe. Belisle talked he was mentored by Joe and he wasnt there!

anyway i hope they had real good excuses..
    You live in town, did you go?

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    It's Thanksgiving time, so I'm sure many were with their families. Others probably had plans beforehand. Some probably didn't even know Joe. Everybody has their own way to deal with death. I don't feel comfortable going to funerals/wakes/etc. I know I'm not the only one. I don't think it's fair to rush to judgment.
    Count me as one who feels uncomfortable going to funerals/visitations - even family. When my maternal grandfather died I didn't want to go to the visitation. But Mom said if you didn't you'd hurt your grandmother - so I dutifully went to see him. Unfortunately, my Mom told my grandmother my hestation and she never forgave me. It was better with my paternal grandfather's visitation which was more like a family reunion with drinks and food at the funeral home - but it still freaked me out.

I didn't go, and neither did my parents [my Dad golfs with one of Joe's brothers], nor my uncle who grew up with Joe. I know I'll be making a donation and probably the rest of my family will be doing the same.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 21-17
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Not to nick pick, WOY - but the visitation was in Fairfield, not Cincinnati...
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 21-17
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Turn Off Ads?