Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tori Hunter signs with the Angels-five-year contract worth $90 million!

Tori Hunter signs with the Angels-five-year contract worth $90 million!

per rotoworld:

According to the Los Angeles Times, the Angels have signed OF Torii Hunter to a five-year contract worth $80 million.
    The Rangers and White Sox appeared to be the front-runners for Hunter and the Angels seemed set at the position with Gary Matthews Jr. and Reggie Willits, but instead hand out a big contract to a free-agent center fielder for the second straight offseason. Hunter's agent said Wednesday that "it all happened within the last 24 hours" and the signing comes after Hunter said earlier this week that he wouldn't make a decision until after Thanksgiving. A seven-time Gold Glover who batted .287 with 28 homers and 107 RBI in 2007, Hunter could see plenty of RBI chances if he's asked to hit behind Vladimir Guerrero. The signing figures to push Matthews to left field, with Garret Anderson sliding to designated hitter and Willits going to the bench, but the Angels could look to trade some of their outfield depth for a shortstop.

So do they plan to trade Matthews now? I didnt see this one with what they gave to Matthews last year!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: Tori Hunter signs with the Angels-five-year contract worth $80 million!

I believe he's actually getting paid $90M, not $80M. Anyway, the Angels are soon going to be in the same tier as the Yankees and Red Sox in terms of salary. If they pick up Garrett Anderson's 2009 option, they're going to be paying $57M for Anderson, Hunter, Vladimir Guerrero, and Gary Matthews, Jr.

Thats good. Better the Angels than the Reds.

I think Garrett Anderson is cooked with the Angels. I can see the Angels either shipping him out at deep discount or watching him walk after this season. I personally am still in awe at how Matthews has become even a serviceable starting OF and yes the cloud of HGH is glaringly obvious in his past but explain what he is doing now ?
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

I guess with A-Rod out of the equation, this was their "splash."

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I guess with A-Rod out of the equation, this was their "splash."
    They have the depth to make another couple of splashes. I could see a package based around Brandon Wood, Reggie Willetts and a couple of pitchers bringing a Miguel Cabrera.

I could see a deal for Miguel Tejada and/or Ramon Hernandez as well.

I also don't think a deal for Johan Santana would be out of the question.

I think the Reds should be looking at this team as a way to add some pitching but with Hunter on board they probably aren't real interested in what the Reds have to trade.

As they are I'm guessing Matthews, Hunter and Guerrero in a plus OF for both offense and defense, Willetts as a 4th OF with a platoon of Anderson and Rivera at DH. Kotchman, Kendrick, Aybar and Figgins in the IF with Izturis and Quinlan backing them up. Napoli and Mathis catching. A rotation of Lackey, Escobar, Garland, Weaver and Ervin Santana with Saunders and Mosely. K-Rod, with Shields, Speier and Oliver in the pen and all those minor leaguers and extra guys like Wood, Terry Evans, Kendry Morales, Nathan Haynes, Nick Adenhart, Jose Arredondo, Hank Conger, Hainley Statia, and Sean Rodriguez. If ever a team needed to and was able to package a few high ceilings and role players for an impact guy or two it seems like its this one.

I don't think they are done "splashing" at all. I think the Garland and Hunter acquisitions are just cases of this team loading up to make bigger splashes down the road.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Wow...that's a lot of money.

I'm betting the Angels end up regretting this signing. Center fielders who cover a lot of ground, dive for low liners, and crash into fences chasing long drives tend to wear down prematurely or spend extended periods of time on the DL. Junior is a prime example, but it also happened to Eric Davis, Fred Lynn, and others.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Torii Hunter- Happy Thanksgiving!

Its a good signing for the Angels. They need bats if they want to advance in the playoffs and Hunter still provides some decent pop. Its a short term move as Hunter will not be effective for the full 5 years, but for next seson and the one after the Angels just become legit WS contenders
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

BTW, how did their big CF free agent signing last year (Matthews Jr) work out for them??????
    Last edited by jojo; 11-22-2007 at 09:08 AM.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Its a good signing for the Angels. They need bats if they want to advance in the playoffs and Hunter still provides some decent pop. Its a short term move as Hunter will not be effective for the full 5 years, but for next seson and the one after the Angels just become legit WS contenders
    You are correct. The Angels can absorb that $$$ hit in 4-5 years. Hunter becomes their LFer at that point.

Good signing for them, but I am stunned that he got that much. That's the mkt I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    You are correct. The Angels can absorb that $$$ hit in 4-5 years. Hunter becomes their LFer at that point.

Good signing for them, but I am stunned that he got that much. That's the mkt I guess.
    WOW. Maybe as early as '09 the Angels will be paying $42M for three below average to neutral defending, below average hitting LEFT FIELDERS in Anderson, Matthews, and Hunter....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    WOW. Maybe as early as '09 the Angels will be paying $42M for three below average to neutral defending, below average hitting LEFT FIELDERS in Anderson, Matthews, and Hunter....
    Why would Hunter be a LFer in '09? You think he will fall off a cliff that quick?

Plus, they have the DH in the AL. Don't forget about that.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Anderson is only back if they pick up his option. I think you are looking at $31 Million in 2009 for Hunter ($18) and Matthews ($10)plus the $3 Million buy-out of Anderson. As for that defender non-sense, the stats may show that none are plus CF anymore in a vacuum but it doesn't account for how they fit together. My guess is that Vlad, Hunter and Matthews will be able to cover all the gaps collectively w/o having to go "out of zone" so much to look great on the still somewhat dubious defensive stat sheet. If they were trying to pair Hunter or Matthews with a statue like Griffey or Dunn, I'd be more inclined to agree with you. I'll also agree that they've gone mad if they pick-up Anderson in 2009 as your post assumes.

I think the Angels did exactly what they wanted to with these last two moves. They made the high ceiling kids and a few spare parts superfluous. They can package a solid top 3 in the rotation starter (Weaver) with a high ceiling bat (Wood) and a role player who can get on base, run and adequately play CF (Willets) who all make the minimum and probably get just about any player they want if they wish to take on salary. And, with the moves they just made, they won't really miss any of those guys or others that they traded away (i.e. O. Cabrera).
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Turn Off Ads?